Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrical cert/test of a house before purchase

• 25-09-2020 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

I dont think there is any requirement, but are there tests/do electricians/electrical businesses carry anything like that out to test a domestic house electrics/wiring, I recal years ago seeing a spark who appeared to be carrying out testing on a domestic job, he had what I thought could have been a megger, wasnt a mutimeter for sure.
    Just want to have certain things checked, not 100% sure what to ask,
    but see what kind of earthing exists, is it good/functional, and potentially other tests a spark might know to carry out? detect and highlight any problems.
    It might not be routine,but is such a thing available, just want to rule out anything major before commiting to buy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Periodic inspection and testing of the installation.

You will receive a Periodic Inspection Report for an Electrical Installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

thanks, is that a standardised test of specific features and actual electrical testing of the safety, integrity and completeness of a domestic set up?
    ie is it set by RECI or some other official body or could it vary from one electrician or electrical business to another? it gets me a starting point, any idea how much it might cost ( how long is a piece of wire) or how long it would take, obviously depends on the size/extent of the electrical set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭meercat

1874 wrote: »
    thanks, is that a standardised test of specific features and actual electrical testing of the safety, integrity and completeness of a domestic set up?
    ie is it set by RECI or some other official body or could it vary from one electrician or electrical business to another? it gets me a starting point, any idea how much it might cost ( how long is a piece of wire) or how long it would take, obviously depends on the size/extent of the electrical set-up.

Similar thread may help

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058110034/1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If you are seriously considering buying the house it would be a good idea to get the wiring checked out. A periodic inspection (as above) would be one way, this would include a number of standard tests, a written report as well as a visual check. Any registered electrical contractor can do this for you. As with all trades it is always best to go with a recommendation though. Prices vary, I would expect to pay at least €300 but probably more. It is a long time since I worked on my tools so my estimate is only a guess, others on here may be able to provide a more accurate estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Risteard81 wrote:
    Periodic inspection and testing of the installation.

Great idea. I've been in quite a few homes where the wiring was dodgy for the shower. Some of the homeowners would question my opinion as they paid a surveyor to inspect the property before buying.

The few hundred it costs would give me great peace of mind. Last owner could have been a DIY warrior and you could be moving into a death trap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    If you are seriously considering buying the house it would be a good idea to get the wiring checked out. A periodic inspection (as above) would be one way, this would include a number of standard tests, a written report as well as a visual check. Any registered electrical contractor can do this for you. As with all trades it is always best to go with a recommendation though. Prices vary, I would expect to pay at least €300 but probably more. It is a long time since I worked on my tools so my estimate is only a guess, others on here may be able to provide a more accurate estimation.

300-350 Euro plus VAT would be fairly standard in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

meercat wrote: »

Thanks, just read that thread, Im looking to sell and buy now, reading some of the comments would make you think about paying out for something someone else owns.
    It would be much handier if the seller just had to get an independant report/cert of (electrical and structural) conformity, seems they'd be as important as each other and I dont think either are obligatory.
    Given the risk of faults related to either, it seems strange to me.

When I asked about this years ago, I was told a seller would be hiring someone to carry out the task (in that instance it was structural), and they would not be independant, but BER assessors are independant and I think electrical or other services would be too.

Any additional cost would be offset by the fact that you only have to pay it once as a seller, and not repeatedly at any potential prospect to purchase (or not at all if a first time buyer).

Im wondering if I should put the money towards any potential refurbishment, I dont think its in need of a rewire, just want to make sure it has the essentials and there isnt some glaring fault (electrically) as I noticed the hall lights (2 sperate bulbs) pulsing bright and dim in a regular pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭meercat

1874 wrote: »
    Thanks, just read that thread, Im looking to sell and buy now, reading some of the comments would make you think about paying out for something someone else owns.
    It would be much handier if the seller just had to get an independant report/cert of (electrical and structural) conformity, seems they'd be as important as each other and I dont think either are obligatory.
    Given the risk of faults related to either, it seems strange to me.

When I asked about this years ago, I was told a seller would be hiring someone to carry out the task (in that instance it was structural), and they would not be independant, but BER assessors are independant and I think electrical or other services would be too.

Any additional cost would be offset by the fact that you only have to pay it once as a seller, and not repeatedly at any potential prospect to purchase (or not at all if a first time buyer).

Im wondering if I should put the money towards any potential refurbishment, I dont think its in need of a rewire, just want to make sure it has the essentials and there isnt some glaring fault (electrically) as I noticed the hall lights (2 sperate bulbs) pulsing bright and dim in a regular pattern.

That’s entirely your choice. I’ve done many periodic inspection reports for prospective buyers and some have highlighted major electrical issues that the buyer could renegotiate with the seller. Some installations looked fine (with new distribution boards and socket/switch faceplates) but we’re unsafe and notice of potential hazard issued to Current householder. Your rec may allow some discount on future electrical work if you buy the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

Get the test done , pay it , I was contacted during the year , a couple was buying a house , 1980s build , I told them I would do a PIR went on def ears , 6 months later and a full rewire, lesson learned,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

A tip for the buyer... A new consumer unit in an old property is only half the story it may still require alot of work. Get it checked, ~€350 is small money vs getting landed with lets say a 10k rewire not to mention the decorating work.

Plumbing is another one, worth getting it checked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement