Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated gates: swing vs sliding

• 08-09-2020 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

We're installing automated gates at the entrance to our property. The driveway slopes downwards and we have room to install a gate that swings inwards. We would also have room at the side for a sliding gate though if that were a better option.

The main reason for installing the gates is that we have young children and want to let them run around the garden without worrying about them flying out onto the road.

Safety is obviously a consideration - don't want anyone getting trapped as the gate automatically opens.

At the moment we're looking at a King automation system with safety photo cells and 3 DEA safety edges. It'll also have a GSM module.

Since this is our first time putting in gates, would love to hear from others who have done so. Any reason to reconsider the above options or consider something else before we pull the trigger?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 housedweller

We just completed a sliding gate and love it. At the moment it is manual and glides back and forth. It is about 250kg but our 8 year old can push it across as the wheels and rollers let it glide. As with any electronic gates safety will always be a concern- so we are looking at putting a motor on now and it will be partly educating the kids and careful access to the zappers.
    Caspero wrote: »
    We're installing automated gates at the entrance to our property. The driveway slopes downwards and we have room to install a gate that swings inwards. We would also have room at the side for a sliding gate though if that were a better option.

The main reason for installing the gates is that we have young children and want to let them run around the garden without worrying about them flying out onto the road.

Safety is obviously a consideration - don't want anyone getting trapped as the gate automatically opens.

At the moment we're looking at a King automation system with safety photo cells and 3 DEA safety edges. It'll also have a GSM module.

Since this is our first time putting in gates, would love to hear from others who have done so. Any reason to reconsider the above options or consider something else before we pull the trigger?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I prefer sliding gates. From a mechanical perspective there is a bit more work installing them properly, but it is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Where I live all the swing gates have issues in high winds. Without exception they are always blown open. The sliding ones though seem to have no such problem.

Not really an issue unless you’ve a dog as one or two of these do.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

If you are using underground arms and the swing gates don't open up against anything (like a wall) then either installation would be just as safe once the closing sensors are installed properly.

I have iron gates and have no issues with the wind blowing them open as the air passes through. If you have solid gates with no gaps wind will be a problem.

Another plus of swing gates it that you can see the area they are opening up into.

You mention a GSM unit for opening the gates, I'd recommend something like a Doorbird which I have myself. It's a doorbell with 2 way comms, video and a relay for opening the gate.

I'm no expert and the above is just based on my experience.

I've a sliding gate myself,
    Always see the neighbours swing gates with one side broken etc.
    Stay away from 2 roller gates thoughts as they always seem to have issues .
    I used to install them about 15 years ago and single sliding were always the most reliable .

A few things I've done with mine
    cheap sonoff to control them via the web.
    Can open them with text message via our HKC burglar alarm.
    Added a smart doorbell (eufy) over the weekend,nice addition but no relay button like Dazzys which would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Just to add: if using swing gates underground motors are the preferred option however this can complicate things too as they need proper drainage. I have had to replace many motors that were completely submerged for protracted periods. This is not an issue with sliding gates. Obviously only one motor is required for sliding gates.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Saftey is a major consideration with sliding gates. I know in a commercial/industrial environment regulations around sliding gates are very tight. It's worth taking a look at the HSA guidelines for ideas and specifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I've just installed sliding gates. Always had swing gates in old house. Underground housing was a nightmare with water and slugs.
    I find sliding more secure as they can't be forced open as easily as swing.

You need a safe area for the gate to open and I planned for that when planning the garden, it opens back into a shubbery so no children likely to be in its way. It is very sensitive to anything in the way when closing.

Definitely happier with sliding.

wildwillow wrote: »
    I've just installed sliding gates. Always had swing gates in old house. Underground housing was a nightmare with water and slugs.
    I find sliding more secure as they can't be forced open as easily as swing.

You need a safe area for the gate to open and I planned for that when planning the garden, it opens back into a shubbery so no children likely to be in its way. It is very sensitive to anything in the way when closing.

Definitely happier with sliding.

Sounds good. Have you protected against child putting their arm in between railings when closing?

It's a timber gate so no danger to children. Good shelter so not a problem when it's windy.

A few years ago as I was passing I saw a 6 year old force open a swing gate with arms. He followed a ball out to the road and luckily a neighbour nabbed him, before I could park and rescue him.

It may not have been installed professionally, knowing the family.

• Advertisement

Good stuff. Yeah, if it's solid then there's no bother once the back-end is protected. A sliding gate with rails would have me afraid for a child's safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

wildwillow wrote: »
    It's a timber gate so no danger to children. Good shelter so not a problem when it's windy.

A few years ago as I was passing I saw a 6 year old force open a swing gate with arms. He followed a ball out to the road and luckily a neighbour nabbed him, before I could park and rescue him.

It may not have been installed professionally, knowing the family.

Id heard its possible to force open electric gates, doesnt say much for security, seems they are more for convenience,
    How are security/safety dealt with? can you have both? as its all well and good having an electric gate, but if its not secure.

Id have thought, not being possible to open from a safety viewpoint (as above) is as important as not pinning/crushing someone/a limb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭KaneToad

1874 wrote: »
    Id heard its possible to force open electric gates, doesnt say much for security, seems they are more for convenience,
    How are security/safety dealt with? can you have both? as its all well and good having an electric gate, but if its not secure.

Id have thought, not being possible to open from a safety viewpoint (as above) is as important as not pinning/crushing someone/a limb.

They are very much for convenience... keeping pets/ children contained. It's true, most swing gates can be forced by someone determined to do so. However, their security is that they dissuade people 'innocently' mooching around your property.

It removes the ambiguity...if someone has jumped your electric gates, or forced them, they're laying their cards on the table very early. This is a bit risky for a burglar and might encourage them to try another house instead.

Burglars are rational. All things considered they will go for the easier property, for similar reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

KaneToad wrote: »
    They are very much for convenience... keeping pets/ children contained. It's true, most swing gates can be forced by someone determined to do so. However, their security is that they dissuade people 'innocently' mooching around your property.

It removes the ambiguity...if someone has jumped your electric gates, or forced them, they're laying their cards on the table very early. This is a bit risky for a burglar and might encourage them to try another house instead.

Burglars are rational. All things considered they will go for the easier property, for similar reward.

I was wondering if there is off the shelf equipment available that could be used to lock a gate too, once it had completed closing, seems reasonable, just dont know if the PCBs used have that as a feature which would seem the best/easist way to add/implement it physically.
    More so to prevent a child could open a gate than to stop someone else determined to gain entry, even the latter might mean a little person or a dog could get out and run into trouble.

edit, where can you buy the hardware off the shelf?

You can get a gate mechanism which has a strong magnetic lock. Used in commercial premises. Almost impossible to force open.

As for security, a determined burglar will enter. One makes the place as secure as possible. Having the gate closed and alarm on, plenty of motion sensitive lights and remote view cameras is best I can do.

I know my facc gate is sold as non reversing so it can't be pushed back unless you have it in manual.
    Worm gear somewhere in the gearbox I suppose.

Looking for a bit of help on wiring up my new gate motor.

I have a cable running to near the new sliding gate which is not connected yet. So I will need to-
    - join this to a new cable to extend this about 3m to the motor position (I have a tube ready to run the cable down this last stretch and up to motor)
    - join the other end in my garage to a junction box on the wall which already powers my outdoor lights. Can I just add this cable to my garage junction box?

I have done wiring before but want to make sure I get the right (outdoor) cable and junction box and I don’t overload the garage junction box.

Anyone know the type of cable and box I need.

Thanks!

Looking for a bit of help on wiring up my new gate motor.

I have a cable running to near the new sliding gate which is not connected yet. So I will need to-
    - join this to a new cable to extend this about 3m to the motor position (I have a tube ready to run the cable down this last stretch and up to motor)
    - join the other end in my garage to a junction box on the wall which already powers my outdoor lights. Can I just add this cable to my garage junction box?

I have done wiring before but want to make sure I get the right (outdoor) cable and junction box and I don’t overload the garage junction box.

Anyone know the type of cable and box I need.

Thanks!

There is a lot wrong with what you are suggesting such as using a lighting circuit for electric gates. Also some of the questions would indicate to me that you are getting in over your head. It would be best to engage a professional in my opinion.

As a general rule it would be best to have the gates on a dedicated circuit, have no joins in the cable other than at the controller. Also the cable would be properly sized to ensure that the volt drop is not excessive and that the required disconnection times are achievable. Electric gates can cause serious injuries if not correctly installed. Unfortunately there is no recognized qualification for gate installation but in my opinion the individuals doing this work must be qualified electricians at a minimum. There are many with little or no qualifications or formal training from accredited bodies that profess to be experts so be careful who you select. Also remember a PSA license is not a qualification despite what you may be told.

Thanks that all makes sense.
    2011 wrote: »
    There is a lot wrong with what you are suggesting such as using a lighting circuit for electric gates. Also some of the questions would indicate to me that you are getting in over your head. It would be best to engage a professional in my opinion.

As a general rule it would be best to have the gates on a dedicated circuit, have no joins in the cable other than at the controller. Also the cable would be properly sized to ensure that the volt drop is not excessive and that the required disconnection times are achievable. Electric gates can cause serious injuries if not correctly installed. Unfortunately there is no recognized qualification for gate installation but in my opinion the individuals doing this work must be qualified electricians at a minimum. There are many with little or no qualifications or formal training from accredited bodies that profess to be experts so be careful who you select. Also remember a PSA license is not a qualification despite what you may be told.

Advertisement