Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this electricity wire insulated?

• 18-09-2020 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a creeper on the wall of the house which has grown a bit wild and needs to be cut back. The concern I havw is that it's also growing around the electricity wires. The wires look to be insulated from the last pole to the house, but I'd prefer someone who knows their stuff ro confirm before I go pulling at the creeper.
    Pics attached - can anyone confirm for me?
    I haven't a clue about electricity! Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Restrooms

That overhead cable is insulated

There's prob a bracket on the wall where they join into a service cable

You need to be careful as they may tape the line joint but it wouldn't be safe to work around it

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

Yes that is ABC aerial bundled conductor which is insulated. But do not go too near it. It still poses a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭spakman

Thanks lads, I'll work around it and avoid going near it if i can

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

spakman wrote: »
    Thanks lads, I'll work around it and avoid going near it if i can

If you can catch the guys working on a pole nearby and ask them they will tell you if its safe. If all else fails they will tell you who to contact. On our house there were some exposed cables and terminations and after a quick inspection someone came to insulate all the cables within about 5m of the house.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

walshtipp wrote: »
    Yes that is ABC aerial bundled conductor which is insulated. But do not go too near it. It still poses a risk.

Not that im suggestion the Op go near it or grab a hold of it,but what would the voltage be and whats the risk you suggest? do you mean,if there were breaks in the insulation and if it was wet and touched? or something else. Other than not touching it or making contact with something being held, which would seem obvious,when you say dont go too near it,it sounds like you're saying stay many feet away.

• Advertisement

Mains voltage,technically called low voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Mains voltage,technically called low voltage.

Thats what I would have thought ie mains, but I wasn't 100% certain, so normal precautions, Ive come across information regarding safe limits and approach distances for anything from greater than 50v up to 1000's of volts, although I havent usually worked around anything greater than 230 rms typically, powered off, occasionally in the past around 400vpowered off, so I only vaguely recal safe distances for much higher voltages (Id need to see the cheat sheet) were anything from contact with insulation to mm's to 30cms, I dont recal anything higher although I wasn't looking at those sections specifically, it's likely instances greater than 30cms, and maybe up to a metre for very high voltage, but in this case, Id just say dont make physical contact with a body part or any item being held, and only then not to do damage/break insulation or make contact with a break in insulation through a wetted portion.

Advertisement