Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Intruder Alarms

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

LOL, read carefully:
    The anti-masking system in MotionProtect Outdoor meets the Grade 3 level of the EN 50131 security standard.

They are saying that the anti-masking system is the same as found on Grade 3 PIR's, NOT that the sensor itself is Grade 3 compliant. It is a careful, but somewhat sneaky bit of wording. They are saying that the sensor has the equivalent of a Grade 3 feature, but can't actually be certified as such.

If you take a look at Vanderbilts awesome range of sensors, you will see that they have both Grade 2 and Grade 3 wired sensors. The difference between Grade 2 and Grade 3 is the addition of anti-masking to the Grade 3 wired sensors.

Interestingly, I just went through the spec sheet of all of Vanderbilts wireless PIR's and contacts, they are all Grade 2, not a single Grade 3 one. Which is weird, given that they make so many wired Grade 3 sensors. If anyone was to make a Grade 3 wireless sensor if possible, you would think it would be Vanderbilt.

I'm open to been corrected on this, but I think you are very much mistaken on this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Have you checked EN50131?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Silent Banana

Hi folks, I've just bought and moved into a house that's quite rural though we have a fibre broadband connection (don't know if that matters) but we're looking at getting an alarm system installed quite soon, we realise that like everything else there are good and bad but we're quite clueless as to which way to go, do we go monitored/unmonitored if we go monitored which company is best to go with(I know a lot of the companies offer bells and whistles etc) we both work so we need something that will be efficient if something happens while we are at work, I know this seems to be a lot to request but if possible could anyone offer us a direction to go in so we get the best value for money, Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

^^ As you have posted on this forum I assume you are planning a self install so central station monitoring is not an option. However self monitoring is best in most domestic installations in my opinion. Most / all posters on this thread agree that the Ajax system is very good. Maybe this is the system for you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ajax is probably the best, Yale do some good stuff as well.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Ajax is probably the best, Yale do some good stuff as well.

This thread provides feedback from a number of posters on both systems.
    It’s worth reading thought it to help make your mind up.
    The general consensus appears to be that the Ajax is superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Silent Banana

2011 wrote: »
    ^^ As you have posted on this forum I assume you are planning a self install so central station monitoring is not an option. However self monitoring is best in most domestic installations in my opinion. Most / all posters on this thread agree that the Ajax system is very good. Maybe this is the system for you?[/quote

Hi thanks for the reply I do appreciate you taking the time

I was looking at some of the older posts in this thread and I have seen the Ajax alarm being recommended, would instalation be a big job or would I need to get an electrician to install (I'm not sure if I would be up to it or if it didn't work out I would constantly be reminded of the issues)

I haven’t installed one but I wouldn’t think it is that difficult. I’m sure that after a bit of googling and watching a YouTube video or two most people could manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

2011 wrote: »
    ^^ As you have posted on this forum I assume you are planning a self install so central station monitoring is not an option. However self monitoring is best in most domestic installations in my opinion. Most / all posters on this thread agree that the Ajax system is very good. Maybe this is the system for you?[/quote

Hi thanks for the reply I do appreciate you taking the time

I was looking at some of the older posts in this thread and I have seen the Ajax alarm being recommended, would instalation be a big job or would I need to get an electrician to install (I'm not sure if I would be up to it or if it didn't work out I would constantly be reminded of the issues)

Other than the base station everything is wireless so it's just put the sensors where ever you want them. Ajax recommend screwing in the sensors but also supply double sided tape which is the approach I went with.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has used an Ajax alarm system with Home Assistant, and what functionality that offers?

Ideally, I'd be hoping to go down the route of using Ajax with the pre-installed wired sensors in my home, as I've got quite a few, and have options in home assistant to use these sensors as triggers for things like turning the lights on upon door opening, knocking off the heating in a zone if a window is open etc.

Also, does anyone have any particular recommendations on where I should purchase the Ajax kit from? I'm quite proficient with IT & Electrical myself, so will be doing this as a self-conversion.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has used an Ajax alarm system with Home Assistant, and what functionality that offers?

Ideally, I'd be hoping to go down the route of using Ajax with the pre-installed wired sensors in my home, as I've got quite a few, and have options in home assistant to use these sensors as triggers for things like turning the lights on upon door opening, knocking off the heating in a zone if a window is open etc.

Also, does anyone have any particular recommendations on where I should purchase the Ajax kit from? I'm quite proficient with IT & Electrical myself, so will be doing this as a self-conversion.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

I answered your first question here before
    mcgovern wrote: »
    I haven't integrated mine into Home Assistant yet but I belive you can't see the sensors themselves (as in say Door Sensor etc), only the current state.
    So Armed/Not Armed. Fire/No Fire. Leak/No Leak.

Regarding where to buy, I got mine from megateh.eu .

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Sorry McGovern, thanks for that - that's a pity that you can't see the individual sensors. I was going to go with the Konnected.io system, but what's attracting me to Ajax is the smoke / co detection integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

Just went to check this site for the Ajax system and it seems there's a crypto miner embedded in it according to my minerBlock extension

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

JethroC wrote: »
    Just went to check this site for the Ajax system and it seems there's a crypto miner embedded in it according to my minerBlock extension

It is reporting as safe on urlscan.io

https://urlscan.io/result/577d4999-2d8e-4f15-8997-34a7374025e0/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Hi,
    So at the moment we've just moved into our house and we currently have no smart assistant.
    Our only smart device is a fire stick which we use for our IPTV service. We have a chrome cast but we haven't set that up.

I have a couple of requirements
    One is a mesh wifi system so that has me leaning to a google system as their mesh system has assistant built in. A couple of things are stopping me. One is I like the echo dot with time display for my nightstand and also for surround sound from the TV

I guess I could still just get one for my room but as I'd want an internet point in the room it wouldn't make sense to add an echo dot and a google point.
    Other things would be control lights, control heating (Still no thermostat either) and motion sensors/alarm.

Which one is best equipped for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

seannash wrote: »
    Hi,
    So at the moment we've just moved into our house and we currently have no smart assistant.
    Our only smart device is a fire stick which we use for our IPTV service. We have a chrome cast but we haven't set that up.

One is a mesh wifi system so that has me leaning to a google system as their mesh system has assistant built in. A couple of things are stopping me. One is I like the echo dot with time display for my nightstand and also for surround sound from the TV

I guess I could still just get one for my room but as I'd want an internet point in the room it wouldn't make sense to add an echo dot and a google point.
    Other things would be control lights, control heating (Still no thermostat either) and motion sensors/alarm.

My decision hinged on the fact that all our tablets and phones were Android so Google/Nest was the easiest decision. Everything just works together perfectly, I've the hub on the bedside locker, max speaker for the TV, max hub in the kitchen, Nest WiFi mesh and speakers dotted around the house, it all just works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭ Landen Tiny Butler

One is I like the echo dot with time display for my nightstand

Lenovo Smart Clock will do that and is Google Assistant powered.

Apologies, complete brain fart! I merged these threads in error and now I can't undo it! Sorry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Hi,

I just moved into a new build and working on a Smart Home

Ive done the following

-Installed Ajax Alarm System

-Installed Amazon Dots or Amazon Shows in Each room

-Installed Philips Hue Lighting in every room

-Installed Heatmiser termostats to control Heating and Water

-Installed Eufy Doorbell and Security cameras

-Installed Eufy Robotic Hovers Upstairs and Downstairs

-Installed Automated Lawnmover to cut the grass.

All theses things are can be controlled via Alexa or Scheduled via smartphone except the Alarm System that can be controlled via Phone, Fob or Keypad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Ive done the following

-Installed Amazon Dots or Amazon Shows in Each room

-Installed Philips Hue Lighting in every room

-Installed Heatmiser termostats to control Heating and Water

-Installed Eufy Doorbell and Security cameras

-Installed Eufy Robotic Hovers Upstairs and Downstairs

-Installed Automated Lawnmover to cut the grass.

All theses things are can be controlled via Alexa or Scheduled via smartphone except the Alarm System that can be controlled via Phone, Fob or Keypad

How do you find the Eufy Doorbell and is there a subscription for video storage?

• Advertisement

How do you find the Eufy Doorbell and is there a subscription for video storage?

No. We have a hub in the house which has 16gb of storage

If you are going with the Eufy doorbell. Get the battery one as it can also be hardwired in to use your original chime.

Quality is excellent on the doorbell and also voice quality is very good and also the cameras which are wireless and you charge them every 6 months.

I don’t need to charge the doorbell as it’s hardwired in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Ive done the following

Did you do this yourself or through an alarm company?

kmart6 wrote: »
    Did you do this yourself or through an alarm company?

Installed myself except for the External Siren, Im not one for Heights and I wanted it hardwired.

Installing an Ajax Alarm system is as simple if you go Wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Do you mind saying where you purchased it? What kinda kit did you start out with?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Pete123456

kmart6 wrote: »
    Do you mind saying where you purchased it? What kinda kit did you start out with?

Outlined here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058057652&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Wheres the best place to buy a Yale unit off the shelf..?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭danicm

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Wheres the best place to buy a Yale unit off the shelf..?

I bought the Yale Sync Smart Home Alarm earlier this year from Amazon. I bought the package I linked (they have other packages to suit different needs) and also bought a few other bits and pieces to cover all access doors and downstair windows.
    I installed everything myself, very simple to do. They include screws and plugs as well as double sided tape, but I installed everything with screws as double-sided tape eventually fails.
    It works with Google Assistant which is my preferred option for driving my smart devices. You can ask Google questions like is a door or window closed, and you can arm the alarm, but you can't disarm it obviously for security reasons. For disarming it has to be from the mobile app or control panel.
    The Yale mobile app is also pretty decent, you can arm/disarm remotely and you get notifications, email and an SMS if the alarm goes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Daveq

Thanks to everyone's excellent info in this thread I'm going to go for an Ajax alarm myself.

Just wanted to highlight for anyone else looking into it, that www.megateh.eu/ have a black Friday sale on at the moment! 15 -40% off!

Anyway, quick question for those with the external sounder. I have an old Aritech alarm on the house (+15 years old) which I will be removing. I'm guessing there is no way to integrate the current external sounder with Ajax? so planning that I will be replacing that too.
    To save me climbing up to replace batteries and trying to get my hands on a ladder every so often. I see that it can be powered via 12V, could I in theory place a battery like below in the attic and run cable into the attic and only have to climb to the attic to replace the battery?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/sealed-lead-acid-battery-12v-7-0ah/38315#product_additional_details_container

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Daveq wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone's excellent info in this thread I'm going to go for an Ajax alarm myself.

Just wanted to highlight for anyone else looking into it, that www.megateh.eu/ have a black Friday sale on at the moment! 15 -40% off!

Anyway, quick question for those with the external sounder. I have an old Aritech alarm on the house (+15 years old) which I will be removing. I'm guessing there is no way to integrate the current external sounder with Ajax? so planning that I will be replacing that too.
    To save me climbing up to replace batteries and trying to get my hands on a ladder every so often. I see that it can be powered via 12V, could I in theory place a battery like below in the attic and run cable into the attic and only have to climb to the attic to replace the battery?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/sealed-lead-acid-battery-12v-7-0ah/38315#product_additional_details_container

Can’t see any reason as to why that wouldn’t work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

for the bell box maybe try the below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL2693lyWxI&ab_channel=PoseidwnTech

I`ll be installing the ajax bell box in the next few weeks, and was planning on using an old 12v DC 1amp phone charger that i`ll extend with bell wire. then you don`t need an extra battery.

Advertisement