Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for Spiced Rum Suggestions

• 24-09-2020 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hey
    Anybody got some good spiced rum suggestions?
    got sick of Captain Mortgans...
    Have tried to Kraken & Pampero - two fine examples in my opinion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Havana 7 and Mount Gay are your best choice, both fantastic.

Zacapa is also lovely if you have it around you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

In terms of spiced rum ... Rumbullion! would be a step up from what you've been drinking.

If you want to go more towards a dark rum that works well for mixing then you could try Gosling's black seal. The classic rum for a 'dark and stormy'. Add lime juice and as fiery a ginger beer as you can find.

For rums in general the last couple I have really enjoyed have been Venezuelan. Cacique 500 is a high quality sipping rum that won't break the bank. Diplomatco Mantuano is drier than their Gran Reserva and I like it.

Mount Gay and Appleton are also always safe bets. Appleton probably do the best all-round rums that are readily available on Irish shelves, they've got all the price points covered and are top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i picked up a bottle of Bacoo 4 Year Old Rum in Aldi. To my surprise it was the nicest rum ive ever tasted. Full stop.

kraken is my go to rum, its nice. Had Lambs rum from tesco a week ago - not bad at all - a little sweet for my taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

DilD wrote: »

I’m not familiar wit a Havana Club or Mount Gay spiced rum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

DilD wrote: »

Except they aren't spiced rums like the op is looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Sea dog is my favourite rum. It's dark but not spiced. If you want it spiced you can put cloves and cinnamon or allspice in it but the flavours of the rum itself are savage. It's cheap out as well.

Interestingly, there is, technically, no such thing as "spiced rum", according to EU regs.
    According to them, "rum cannot be spiced", meaning that once you add flavourings, it is no longer rum and needs to be called something else.
    There appears to be little or no enforcement of this, though with many "spiced rums" on the market, including 2 Irish ones that I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Except they aren't spiced rums like the op is looking for.

In my experience I have had plenty spiced rum lovers try these and all loved them, particularly those who drank spiced Captain Morgan and Kraken, including myself. They may not be spiced but I'd be willing to bet OP will enjoy these very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There appears to be little or no enforcement of this, though with many "spiced rums" on the market, including 2 Irish ones that I can think of.
    there is some enforcement on the % anyway. Rum must be 37.5% and captains is 35% so is called a "spirit drink" made with rum and is "spiced gold", similar to those diluted "apple drinks" that come in tetra paks and look like it could be proper juice.

"Captain Morgan Original Spiced Gold is a premium spirit drink made with the finest Caribbean Rum expertly blended with adventurous spice and natural flavours."

captain-morgan-spiced-gold.jpg

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264417662

outside the EU you would see it as captain morgans rum.

capt-morgans1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭grizzcol2

Mount Gay is quite tasty alright
    got a bottle of Red Leg - tis ok

Has anybody tried Blacks Spiced Rum?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Sailor Jerry's is another spiced rum, it's got a lot more vanilla flavour that Captain Morgan's.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=5_603_575

rubadub wrote: »
    there is some enforcement on the % anyway. Rum must be 37.5% and captains is 35% so is called a "spirit drink" made with rum and is "spiced gold", similar to those diluted "apple drinks" that come in tetra paks and look like it could be proper juice.

"Captain Morgan Original Spiced Gold is a premium spirit drink made with the finest Caribbean Rum expertly blended with adventurous spice and natural flavours."

Captain Morgan's is the only product I've noticed that seems to follow the regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

I started out on the Captain Morgan many years ago now, went to France on a rugby weekend had no Morgan just variations of Havana club since then if I can get Havana anejo especial or 7 year old I'm happy. Thing is if you like these Morgan tastes horrible with an overpowering taste of vanilla.

Advertisement