Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you automatically moved on the salary scale or are there forms to fill out?

• 21-05-2020 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Simple question that I cant find anywhere. Do you automatically move up the salary scale for secondary teachers when you have met the criteria or is there anything you have to do to make sure you are moved up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

TypicalDub wrote: »
    Simple question that I cant find anywhere. Do you automatically move up the salary scale for secondary teachers when you have met the criteria or is there anything you have to do to make sure you are moved up?

Was your question not answered in your previous thread? Every 600 hours, every RPT/Fixed term contract or CID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Not necessarily automatic, especially if based on hours rather than a fixed term contract. You may need to contact payroll. ETB usually more efficient in this regard than DES.

Not necessarily automatic, especially if based on hours rather than a fixed term contract. You may need to contact payroll. ETB usually more efficient in this regard than DES.

Correct, when I was subbing, I used to keep a record of my hours and when I passed the 600 hours, I checked my payslip in the next academic year and I went up.

I can't agree re ETB vs Payroll. My experience with my local ETB was rudeness and sloppiness. Anytime I have ever rang the department, I have been dealt quickly and politely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Correct, when I was subbing, I used to keep a record of my hours and when I passed the 600 hours, I checked my payslip in the next academic year and I went up.

I can't agree re ETB vs Payroll. My experience with my local ETB was rudeness and sloppiness. Anytime I have ever rang the department, I have been dealt quickly and politely.

It probably varies by ETB, but I found them highly efficient and the DES incompetent. The absolute fcuk up last year of ceasing all temp teachers' employment and placing them on emergency tax after every pay run because they failed to cope with PAYE Modernisation, was the last straw. I will never even do a single day's subbing in a voluntary school again because of it. The ETBs I've worked for can be ruthless but they rarely make mistakes. Never any delay in applying tax decreases or increment changes.

It probably varies by ETB, but I found them highly efficient and the DES incompetent. The absolute fcuk up last year of ceasing all temp teachers' employment and placing them on emergency tax after every pay run because they failed to cope with PAYE Modernisation, was the last straw. I will never even do a single day's subbing in a voluntary school again because of it. The ETBs I've worked for can be ruthless but they rarely make mistakes. Never any delay in applying tax decreases or increment changes.

Well considering I worked 9 weeks with no pay and when I enquired as to the delay, I get lambasted for ringing. Now I did get a phone call to apologise from head of HR, it wasn't good enough. At the time, there were a few teachers who were also used to department paying and were all treated poorly. I wouldn't work for them again. At least with the department, you're paid promptly.

I agree it will vary by ETB, that is my local one. The main reason is there are too many people dealing with you - no one person for the one school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

It will vary from ETB to ETB, but generally yes the DES is more reliable from my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 36 TypicalDub

This question is different. I am asking do you have to notify anyone that you are due to move up or is it done automatic

This question is different. I am asking do you have to notify anyone that you are due to move up or is it done automatic

Automatically unless you're moving from ETB to department. There is no notification. Up to last year, it never appeared on my payslip, it does now. I used to get an increment in September but now get it in November/December due to the industrial action by ASTI a few years ago when increments were delayed by three months. If you think you are owed something, ring payroll, they are very helpful despite what some people say.

I have worked in ETB and Department, and I have never notified anyone when moving. So you think there is chance that has not been counted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I have worked in ETB and Department, and I have never notified anyone when moving. So you think there is chance that has not been counted ?

Well you should be able to work that out yourself, based on the years you have worked and the point you are on. No one can tell you here.

• Advertisement

I don't know that but if you're moving from department to ETB and vice versa, you should be getting a statement of service to send on. If not, I'm assuming you will continue on whatever scale you were on before e.g. if you've been working for the department for two years, point 3, you change to ETB for two years I.e. with ETB you're on point 5. You return to department but don't submit statement from ETB, I'm assuming you will begin on point 3 again and also the new pension scheme because you've had a 26 week break in service. It is important that you keep on top of this.

thanks for the help

got lots of helpful info actually, thanks

got lots of helpful info actually, thanks

No problem. You may have to go digging to get payslips. The department are quite good - they can provide you with statement of service for your time with them i.e. since registration with them. It is more than a statement - they tell you how many hours you worked in each academic year. The same applies for the ETB I assume.

Advertisement