Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Predicted grades for independent subjects

• 07-05-2020 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Just wondering how predicted grades are communicated to a school where a student has been studying a subject independently of school, and was due to sit that subject in the LC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Andhonest wrote: »
    Just wondering how predicted grades are communicated to a school where a student has been studying a subject independently of school, and was due to sit that subject in the LC?

I can't see how they could be given a PG if they don't have a teacher for that subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,205 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

cocoman wrote: »
    I can't see how they could be given a PG if they don't have a teacher for that subject.

They probably won't be eligible for a grade. Unless a practical component has already been submitted.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Andhonest

They probably won't be eligible for a grade. Unless a practical component has already been submitted.

But the issue is that they were eligible to sit the exam and need that extra subject as an entry requirement for uni, for example. There are many types of students in this or similar categories; first of all traditional students who took on an extra subject outside their school with an external teacher,: the same but studying completely alone; and homeschooled candidates. All of these are eligible candidates. Nothing of this student catagory is mentioned in the document released by the Do Ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Purefrank128

But the issue is that they were eligible to sit the exam and need that extra subject as an entry requirement for uni, for example. There are many types of students in this or similar categories; first of all traditional students who took on an extra subject outside their school with an external teacher,: the same but studying completely alone; and homeschooled candidates. All of these are eligible candidates. Nothing of this student catagory is mentioned in the document released by the Do Ed.

Yes, all of this is covered in the gov.ie document. Students studying a subject outside their school with an external teacher can be given a calculated grade if the school principal is happy to sign off on an initial assessed grade.

Yes, all of this is covered in the gov.ie document. Students studying a subject outside their school with an external teacher can be given a calculated grade if the school principal is happy to sign off on an initial assessed grade.

I have scoured it again (the Web version). I just cannot see where it mentions anything about students taking a subject outside of school. Are you thinking of the section relating to students who have moved from another school? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Purefrank128

I have scoured it again (the Web version). I just cannot see where it mentions anything about students taking a subject outside of school. Are you thinking of the section relating to students who have moved from another school? Thanks.

From https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2f07eb-leaving-cert-2020-information/

18. What about students who don’t attend or who are taking extra subjects outside school?

While these scenarios are the exception rather than the rule every effort will be made to calculate a grade, provided there is sufficient evidence available.

In the case of students taking a subject outside school, the guidance provides details of how schools should proceed if school management authorities are confident that there is sufficient evidence of the student’s achievement to make an objective judgement.

For students in receipt of home tuition with an association to the school, the guidance will provide information for school authorities to engage with the home tutor in arriving at a decision. Whether a valid estimate of performance can be provided will depend on whether the home tutor is a registered teacher and where the school is satisfied with the evidence used to support the judgment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Questions 18, 19, and 20 here.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2f07eb-leaving-cert-2020-information/#information-for-leaving-cert-students

I have one student that is attending a different school to the one I work in. He has been working with me taking this extra subject for the past two years. There is a project component. The project is done and there is plenty of evidence to show he's been doing the work, he did a mock exam for me etc. I emailed the school yesterday to let them know who I am and gave them my contact details. So we'll see what happens next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'd be very slow to sign off on any independent subject unless there was a decent bit of evidence. I think in a lot of cases, there won't be evidence. It's going to be difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yes, this will affect all the students taking Polish/Lithuanian etc. They usually just take the exam with no classes. Many rely on it as their language for college entry.

From https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2f07eb-leaving-cert-2020-information/

18. What about students who don’t attend or who are taking extra subjects outside school?

While these scenarios are the exception rather than the rule every effort will be made to calculate a grade, provided there is sufficient evidence available.

In the case of students taking a subject outside school, the guidance provides details of how schools should proceed if school management authorities are confident that there is sufficient evidence of the student’s achievement to make an objective judgement.

For students in receipt of home tuition with an association to the school, the guidance will provide information for school authorities to engage with the home tutor in arriving at a decision. Whether a valid estimate of performance can be provided will depend on whether the home tutor is a registered teacher and where the school is satisfied with the evidence used to support the judgment.

That is it! Thanks a million. I had been looking at just one part on how grades are calculated. Yes, I can see it now. So, if there is sufficient evidence a grade will be processed. Ok, that is fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭antimatterx

My brother's friend was supposed to be repeating the leaving cert. He couldn't afford to repeat in a private school or hire tutors for the year. He has worked hard during the year, studying at home alone in hopes of obtaining enough points for medicine.

How ****ed is he?

Questions 18, 19, and 20 here.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2f07eb-leaving-cert-2020-information/#information-for-leaving-cert-students

I have one student that is attending a different school to the one I work in. He has been working with me taking this extra subject for the past two years. There is a project component. The project is done and there is plenty of evidence to show he's been doing the work, he did a mock exam for me etc. I emailed the school yesterday to let them know who I am and gave them my contact details. So we'll see what happens next week.

Hi, did you hear back from the school?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi, did you hear back from the school?

Not yet no, but I was talking to the teacher who normally teaches the subject in the school and they haven't done anything with grades yet, so I'll try again later this week.
    '

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

My brother's friend was supposed to be repeating the leaving cert. He couldn't afford to repeat in a private school or hire tutors for the year. He has worked hard during the year, studying at home alone in hopes of obtaining enough points for medicine.

How ****ed is he?

It's awful, and these people have my full sympathy, but how do you think they could possibly get a predicted grade in this instance?

My only advice would be to plough on and do the autumn exam (or whenever it becomes available).

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

It will be hard. If a pre exam was done in that subject they might just base it off that grade. The most practical thing to do would be to sit the written exam if u believe that you deserve a high grade.

Advertisement