Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Perks of being a certain age

• 23-10-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Ok still a bit away from getting the bus/train pass but thought useful to hear of any perks of say being 60 to soften the blow when it come :)

I will set the ball rolling with

National Express Coach travel in UK .... discount for 60 plus
    National Monuments etc in Italy .... free for 60 plus

Sad to be remembering so well the list I once had of the perks of being 18 years and then 21 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

You can **** yourself and you won't be judged as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Where I'm currently living, if you have a walking stick (which I always use in case I trip when I go outside -
    .... people, young and old
    ......... open (or hold open) a door for you,
    ......... offer their seat in a waiting room,
    ......... (usually) let you move to the front of the queue at a supermarket checkout,
    ......... give you a seat on the bus,
    ......... generally help you in difficult situations (high steps, pick things up that you have dropped, getting on/off a bus, etc.).

Though I can't see that much of it happening in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

The Centenarian Bounty when you reach 100 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Keno 92 wrote: »
    You can **** yourself and you won't be judged as much.
    Not funny.
    Fighting against the steriotype of the elderly being incontinent if one of the reasons for the existance of this forum. It might get a giggle in AfterHours (though I doubt it) but here it's just a tired and trite joke.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I have noticed as I have aged, that people tend to ask more and tell less.

Once it was. "Go and get that sorted"

Now it is "Do you think you could go and get that sorted please?"

I like the courtesy shown now that they (maybe) honour my age and experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I got this recently but haven't used it yet though.

http://www.passportforleisure.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

10% discount for over 60's in Homebase every thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Dating for over 50s - there are probably a zillion more sites.

Hotel Deals in Ireland for Over 55s

Holidays abroad for over 50s

Dublin Cultural Club for over 55s

Housing
    Special accommodation for older people
    Some local authorities provide special accommodation for older people. This is usually community accommodation with special security features, for example, wardens, security cameras etc. You are eligible for special housing if you are otherwise entitled to priority on medical or compassionate grounds and you satisfy the age requirement. If you are single, you must be aged 55 or over. For couples, one person must be aged 60 or over and the other must be 55 or over.

Advertisement