Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

c - 13's Reading Log

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Arise ye zombie thread.

This came into my head again the other day. I had forgotten all about it and decided to resurrect it. Made very poor progress on my reading last year, in part due to time restraints and in part by having my ebook reader die on me.

So this year i'm armed with a new ebook reader and more time to read. So far I have gotten through the following -

Books Finished -

A song of Ice & Fire - GRR Martin
    Book 1 - Game of Thrones
    Book 2 - Clash of Kings
    Book 3 - Storm of Swords
    Book 4 - Feast for Crows
    Book 5 - Dance with Dragons

I know, I know, this is probably the third time I've read these in this log alone. But I'd forgotten everything and wanted to refresh my memory before reading "Dance". Cant say I was overly impressed with it though given the wait.

The First Law Trilogy - Joe Abercrombie

Book 1 - The Blade Itself
    Book 2 - Before They Are Hanged
    Book 3 - Last Argument of Kings

Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
    The Heroes - Joe Abercrombie

Quite enjoyed these. A slightly different twist to the standard fantasy fare. Some great characters, very funny in places. Not without its flaws mind you but looking forward to the new one later this year.

Ready Player One! - Ernest Cline

Just finished this one. Read it after having my brother rave at me about it for the last few months. Quite enjoyable, a bit predictable and "young adult" in places but pretty solid and a real page turner for those of a nerdy disposition

Currently Reading-

Mistborn Series - Brandon Sanderson
    Book 1 - The Final Empire

I've seen a lot of good reviews for this on the Sci-Fi/Fantasy and Literature boards so I'm expecting good things from this series !

Books Finished - Total 12
    Book 1 - Game of Thrones
    Book 2 - Clash of Kings
    Book 3 - Storm of Swords
    Book 4 - Feast for Crows

Currently Reading-

Book 2 - The Well of Ascension

Really enjoyed the first Mistborn book. The magic system is fresh and very well thought out. I flew through the first half of the book but felt the pace dropped a bit in the third quarter and kind of farted about trying to fill pages. A lot of good characters and although they aren't as well fleshed out as some other authors would, I think that they are very likeable although a bit cliche at times.

I have started the second one already. I think this could certainly be a series to recommend if it keeps the pace up.

Books Finished - Total 13
    Book 1 - Game of Thrones
    Book 2 - Clash of Kings
    Book 3 - Storm of Swords
    Book 4 - Feast for Crows

Book 2 - The Well of Ascension

Currently Reading-

Book 3 - The Hero of Ages

A little dissapointed by Book 2 in this series. I feel it let down the first book slightly. It started out strong before dissolving into a teenage girl love story style for the majority of the book (Think Trudi Canavan Black Magician series). A few minor new characters, some mild plot development. I really hope the third one makes up for it.

Advertisement