Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What advice would you give to your younger self?

• 04-09-2012 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Well, what would you say?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod: Interesting question OP, but how about you get it started with your own advice to yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

To never start smoking biggest regret I hav and still can't giv em up

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

looksee wrote: »
    Mod: Interesting question OP, but how about you get it started with your own advice to yourself?

To not care what others think would certainly be a start!

And to make ones own happiness an absolute priority, unless it takes from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

That woman you trust with your life and who you would die for ...... DON'T!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

My younger self? Well, how old am I? 12, 18, 25, 30, 50? I think my advice to my younger self would be different at each of those ages and for different situations. But in the main it has to be education, education, education. No matter how bright and clever you are, without that foundation you are lost here in Ireland. Think I've said this before in my 'Regrets' thread here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Don't go down the underpass after the party. In fact, don't even go to that party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Go to college. I decided to take a year off before college and once I started travelling and earning money, the momentum to get to college was lost.

I'm lucky in that I've worked my way up through the ranks and am now in a good, well-paid job for a company that I really like, but I wish I'd had the "college experience".

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Midnight Munchies

I'd tell my younger self that there is no need to get married and have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Lexicographer

Don't look back, it stops you going forward. The things you regret the most you learn the most from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

a fat guy wrote: »
    To not care what others think would certainly be a start!

And to make ones own happiness an absolute priority, unless it takes from others.

It's very hard not to care about what others think...at any age! Making your own happiness is very subjective. If there was a recipe for it we'd all be so happy & bore each other to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭jos28

There was a time I would have advised my younger self to make sure and go to college. Like others here I did not go when I left school and regretted it for a long time, life took over and I got married, had my children......but fast forward many years and I am happy with how things worked out. My children are independent, amazing adults, I am still married, have the mortgage cleared and will graduate with a BA Hons in November (it's never too late :D).
    I think I would advise my younger self to savour every moment that you spend with loved ones. Savour and relish the time you spend with your parents, your children, your friends and your partner. It's all that matters in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

poppyvally wrote: »
    It's very hard not to care about what others think...at any age! Making your own happiness is very subjective. If there was a recipe for it we'd all be so happy & bore each other to death.

Of course it's hard! But you'd never get there if you didn't at least try... And happiness for me comes in the form of exercise, painting/drawing, hanging out with friends, mixing up the usual regime and listening to music very loudly. I just do what I want these days and am much happier for it!

Also, something that really helps with not caring about what others think is considering just how pointless worrying about people's opinion's is. We are less than ant's in the larger scheme of things, an endless legion of specks that will be forgotten once we're gone. Since worrying isn't going to gain us anything, why not simply do whatever the heck we want and have some fun while we're here?

Advertisement