Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vegan Household Products

Options
  • 14-09-2010 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭

We have discussed this in a few threads but I couldn't find a dedicated thread for normal everyday household products that do not contain animal products and can be confirmed to have not been tested on animals, so here goes! I'd like to compile a list of these products/manufacturers/retailers in this thread so that we know what to buy and where. I know it's not strictly "food" but in my opinion it is every bit as important to vegans to make sure that these things are animal friendly :)

I had heard of Lilly's Eco Clean before but hadn't tried them out until I visited their stall at the recent Rude Health expo. I have so far tried the washing up liquid, floor cleaner and all-purpose spray cleaner, all of which have been excellent. Their products are all animal and eco friendly.

I was in Marks & Spencer last week too and as far as I could tell, most (if not all) of their own-brand household products are BUAV (British Union of Anti-Vivisection) approved. (M&S website is horribly laid out - apparently Ireland isn't outside the UK :rolleyes:).

Feel free to add more, news, reviews, warnings, whatever!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Good idea for a thread Absurdum.

I also stocked up on Lilly's washing up liquid at the Rude Health expo :)
    Attitude are a brand which I think are vegan, or at least some products are (I've just emailed the company to check). They use very basic ingredients and their Window and Mirror cleaner smells so lovely! Their website lists details for each product and you can see the word "vegan" listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If you're looking for soap Faith In Nature make nice lavender soap which smells a bit like Imperial Leather. I'm a man so I shouldn't like lavender but I do.

A lot of Tesco own brand products such as washing up liquid and washing powder state they're not tested on animals. I'm not sure if they're vegan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

It's funny but I used to think Ecover products were vegan until I read the labels one day - Milk Whey contained in Washing-up liquid was one that caught my eye. The rest seem to be ok though?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I use Bio D products which I get from Dublin food co-op and find them fine. I dont think ecover are vegan anymore going from vague recollections of conversations on vegan forum but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

I came across a book, years ago in the ILAC library, which gave "recipes" for pretty much any cleaning situation you could think of, using some combination of only 4 or 5 ingredients - salt, vinegar, bread soda/bicarbonate of soda and the last ingredient was either Borax or peroxide. Took me years to track down borax but I have some now.

I've just unblocked my drains by pouring a half a cup of bread soda down them, then squirted a half a cup of plain old vinegar over (it did indeed fizz up), gave it a few minutes, then poured some boiling water over that. Seems to have worked a treat!

From your basic google search the TURI option at the top looks a good 'un.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

^ I actually clean my oven with bicarbonate of sods. Sprinkle it on and lightly splash with water. Leave for a good 30 mins then wipe off. Works a treat.

I know Kim and Aggy had a book out with lots of natural cleaning tips in a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Absurdum wrote: »
    We have discussed this in a few threads but I couldn't find a dedicated thread for normal everyday household products that do not contain animal products and can be confirmed to have not been tested on animals, so here goes! I'd like to compile a list of these products/manufacturers/retailers in this thread so that we know what to buy and where. I know it's not strictly "food" but in my opinion it is every bit as important to vegans to make sure that these things are animal friendly :)

I had heard of Lilly's Eco Clean before but hadn't tried them out until I visited their stall at the recent Rude Health expo. I have so far tried the washing up liquid, floor cleaner and all-purpose spray cleaner, all of which have been excellent. Their products are all animal and eco friendly.

I was in Marks & Spencer last week too and as far as I could tell, most (if not all) of their own-brand household products are BUAV (British Union of Anti-Vivisection) approved. (M&S website is horribly laid out - apparently Ireland isn't outside the UK :rolleyes:).

Feel free to add more, news, reviews, warnings, whatever!

M&S are all BUAV approved, as are the make up. By the by, the website is set up for England, Irish can't order or avail of the services on the website! It's so sad!! :(

Advertisement