Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ETBs

• 29-06-2020 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

What are the pros and cons to working with for an ETB? I hear more bad things than good about them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

What are the pros and cons to working with for an ETB? I hear more bad things than good about them.

Pros - job security - you are employed by an ETB not a particular school - you have the freedom to move to a school closer to you and having many schools, you will probably be kept in the system.
    Technology & resources - exceptional.

Cons - in my ETB, it was the HR staff that would stop me from applying. This is just my ETB so may not be true of every one.
    You can be moved schools very quickly without warning.
    Nepotism is major.

That's all I can think of now. If you're wondering if you should apply/work for them - then do. We are coming into a recession and work may get scarce. It could also be a case when there may not be substitution in the next academic year. You are delivering the same syllabi to by and large to the same students in voluntary secondary schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

If employed with one ETB, can you move to another ETB in another county?
    Why might the HR staff put someone off applying?

My understanding is an ETB school is that it's run like a business, serving "clients" and they show little loyalty toward their staff, like you said they can move you at anytime in short notice.

If employed with one ETB, can you move to another ETB in another county?
    Why might the HR staff put someone off applying?

My understanding is an ETB school is that it's run like a business, serving "clients" and they show little loyalty toward their staff, like you said they can move you at anytime in short notice.

In the same ETB. Most ETBs cater for a number of counties.

So is it possible to move from DDETB to LMETB, for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

So is it possible to move from DDETB to LMETB, for example?

No.

• Advertisement

No.

Thank you.

Thank you.

No, they are two different ETBs. You can transfer within the ETB, not to a different ETB.

Teachers are paid their salary on a monthly basis I'm led to believe?

Depends on the ETB.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

id really hate that. I know its common for many people. Id just personally hate that.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

id really hate that. I know its common for many people. Id just personally hate that.

Once you're paid the same as teachers working outside of an ETB I don't see much of an issue! First month or two would take a little getting used to.

You get used to it but it would definitely not be my choice. Not because of the longer interval, but because it is an inconsistent interval. Although the 6 week gap between December and January pay was a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 funkypumpkins

Thanks for all the explanations. I am Irish but trained in the UK as a MFL teacher. I have two interviews for my subject and ETBs seem to be responding back to me. I have route 3 registration and I am hoping there is a chance of a job or substitute work.

Thanks for all the explanations. I am Irish but trained in the UK as a MFL teacher. I have two interviews for my subject and ETBs seem to be responding back to me. I have route 3 registration and I am hoping there is a chance of a job or substitute work.

I presume the Teaching Council are assessing your qualifications to move you into Post Primary? The ETB will pay you as unqualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 funkypumpkins

I presume the Teaching Council are assessing your qualifications to move you into Post Primary? The ETB will pay you as unqualified.

Yes I am in the process of registering to do post primary under Route 2. The TC are just being difficult with foreign qualifications and post employment experience/induction. I am sure they'll take advantage of my cheaper rate in the interim

Yes I am in the process of registering to do post primary under Route 2. The TC are just being difficult with foreign qualifications and post employment experience/induction. I am sure they'll take advantage of my cheaper rate in the interim

Hopefully you might get that sorted by September. I would even say you could question the ETB if that were to happen. You are qualified but just don't have the paperwork.

I don't know if you need it but I answered a thread with possible questions for MFL interviews which you may find useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Themurph23

Hello All, first time poster here. I am looking to get into teaching and more specifically adult education. Education wise I have a Masters in Business and last year i conpleted a train the trainer course. I have no formal teaching experience but I have 10 years management experience within a global multinational and within my roles i have always been involved in training and loved it. I know teaching is different. I decided to bite the bullet and start educating myself in training and teaching. Can anyone offer advice on how to break into the profession within an ETB for example? I seen an adult educator position which i am going to apply for but i am guessing my lack of official experience will rule me out! Any advice on gaining experience or any other courses i could do. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kevinom1

my etb teacher is persecuting me. no i have been only the best student and kindest loyal student but i am being persecuted by my teacher.

what should i do?

Advertisement