Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMPORTING A UK HORSEBOX - VRT & TAX Query

• 29-06-2019 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi.

I bought a 3.5tonne Horsebox conversion in the UK (Renault Master chassis with the body professionally converted by a Horsebox company - very happy with it). Went with Wexford Insurance for cover to bring it home on UK reg and will let them know when I have the Irish plates on it. - easy.

Now I need to VRT it and then , i think, DOE it.

It is registered as a N1 Light Goods Vehicle on the V5 document from the UK. So I presume I bring it to VRT and it will be €200, then arrange a DOE where I declare it as a horsebox for everything to be above board?

Have I got it right above? Or do I have to do something different? I want to have it registered as a horsebox here in case of any insurance loopholes (god forbid I get into a scrape). Also any idea what the road tax will be when all is done? - there are no living quarters or extra seats in the back, so it just sits 3 people in the cab.

All help greatly appreciated. Thanks. Declan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Kamili

If it was converted to a horsebox you will also need an engineers report, basically signing off on the conversion. (As in if it was originally a goods vehicle then converted for use for carrying horses)

Call the VRT office and they will confirm for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mammy bear

wardy24 wrote: »
    Hi.

I bought a 3.5tonne Horsebox conversion in the UK (Renault Master chassis with the body professionally converted by a Horsebox company - very happy with it). Went with Wexford Insurance for cover to bring it home on UK reg and will let them know when I have the Irish plates on it. - easy.

Now I need to VRT it and then , i think, DOE it.

It is registered as a N1 Light Goods Vehicle on the V5 document from the UK. So I presume I bring it to VRT and it will be €200, then arrange a DOE where I declare it as a horsebox for everything to be above board?

Have I got it right above? Or do I have to do something different? I want to have it registered as a horsebox here in case of any insurance loopholes (god forbid I get into a scrape). Also any idea what the road tax will be when all is done? - there are no living quarters or extra seats in the back, so it just sits 3 people in the cab.

All help greatly appreciated. Thanks. Declan.

Hi I am just about to do the same. Collecting my 3.5 horsebox from uk next week.

Was the process of registering it as a horsebox straight forward?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Advertisement