Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

2009 must have had close to a month of lying snow here between mid December and early February, depth wasn't the same as 2010 but there was definitely no shortage of snow days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lucreto wrote: »
    I don't remember 2009 was anything remarkable. I remember cold in Naas in 2009. The only snow I remember in 2009 was 11.50pm on 31st of December.

I spend 2 hours out in it and has work the next day.

There was snow on the ground Feb 2nd 2009

My Front Lawn Feb 2nd 20:11

F441ED9614BA4FA687682E45B10E0D8F-0000334566-0003011326-00800L-0A3F7AB5D21A452EB2C1A231C2C94E0E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

pad199207 wrote: »
    There was snow on the ground Feb 2nd 2009

My Front Lawn Feb 2nd 20:11

F441ED9614BA4FA687682E45B10E0D8F-0000334566-0003011326-00800L-0A3F7AB5D21A452EB2C1A231C2C94E0E.jpg

I don't remember that at all. I am going through my 2008/2009 pictures and there was no snow. I have 300 of 2010.

edit: I looked at my charts and we had 19 frost days in January and 13 in February during 2009.

Come to think of it I did get some days off in 2009. Pictures still in old camera.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Ive other pics showing snow on the ground too on the morning of Feb 2nd, you must have been away or something lol

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭IrishGurll

Any good articles floating around about the forecast for autumn / winter this year ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Heres the thread for snowy spell in Feb. 09

I remember the fun in UCD with all the snow fights! ha :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055474548&page=101

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Heres the thread for snowy spell in Feb. 09

I remember the fun in UCD with all the snow fights! ha :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055474548&page=101

I was in NCI that year and I don't remember any snow there. Well it was spitting distance from the sea so it may have melted.

My memory must be broken.

IrishGurll wrote: »
    Here is The report from the dailystar , .....
    http://thestar.ie/star/snow-on-the-way-but-not-till-christmas/

Sent Ian ( one of the net weather owners ) a message there , he wasnt so happy about the article , hes looking into it now. Im sure they said something way less to what that article says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just to compare the 12z - 06z ECMWF 850 temp and MSLP maps from Vedur.is for this day over the last 3 or 4 years (13th Sept 12z run 06 forecast)

2009:
    220626.png

2010:
    220627.png

2011:
    220628.png

2012:
    220629.png

Apart from 2009, more or less the same pattern and temp distribution over the north Atlantic on this day but notable is the tighter pressure gradient this year as compared to the others. I wonder if this could be a signal that there would be a better chance of stormier autumn this time around after the last few benign episodes???? Probably not, but here's a hopin' anyhows. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭srmambo

Deep FI in the 00z GFS chart shows cold Arctic air being blown right to us

h850t850eu.png

• Advertisement

Just to compare & Hopecast the 12z - 06z ECMWF 850 temp and MSLP maps from Vedur.is for this day over the last 3 or 4 years on the 2 years that matter (13th Sept 12z run 06 forecast) :p

2010:
    220627.png

2012:
    220629.png

I shall leave this for others to compare and hopecast ... :rolleyes: :pac:

Interesting Article in the Daily Mail about the Met Office having a new system , GloSea4 , that has apparently increased there accuracy at predicting blocking setups and in turn bringing big freezes..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2202988/Met-Office-Better-way-forecast-Big-Freeze.html

I think they mentioned this on one of the bbc programs there last year about a researcher studying blocking patterns links to the Sudden Stratospheric Warming. :)
    Ninety-day forecasts for the public were ditched in 2009 after a predicted ‘barbecue summer’ turned out to be a washout. The public can see a 30-day forecast and seasonal forecasts are only given to government and businesses.
    Local councils up here are stocking up on grit for the coming winter plus 30,000 tonnes already piled up. Also on the radio this morning the county council are asking members of the local community to become 'snow champions' in order to help keep communities roads and footpaths free from ice & snow, correct clothing and equipment will be supplied - Do they know something we don't??

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Interesting Article in the Daily Mail about the Met Office having a new system , GloSea4 , that has apparently increased there accuracy at predicting blocking setups and in turn bringing big freezes..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2202988/Met-Office-Better-way-forecast-Big-Freeze.html

I think they mentioned this on one of the bbc programs there last year about a researcher studying blocking patterns links to the Sudden Stratospheric Warming. :)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/modelling-systems/unified-model/climate-models/glosea4

I thought that link was going to show the actual runs! ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

lol What your opinion on the machine?

If it's been around since 2009, surely it should of been able to predict the 09/10 10/11 winters?

If it's been around since 2009, surely it should of been able to predict the 09/10 10/11 winters?

Well considering they need tweaking for ages id say the first 2 years they didnt really want to rely on it much but as they said it correlated with the 11/12 winter so ye.... i dunno , anyone know anyone in the English EPA ? ... root out their seasonal forecast ha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

In the study, the researchers compared the forecasts made during the 2009/10 winter with the low-top model, to retrospective forecasts with the high-top model. The forecasts started on dates in October and November and predicted conditions from December to February.

The high-top model predicted conditions that were more closely matched to the observed severe conditions in 2009-10, especially in the late winter.

The high top version of the GloSea4 forecasting system has been in operation since late 2010 and provided useful guidance to weather forecasters in the following two winters (2010/11 and 2011/12). Co-author of the study, Jeff Knight, said: 'By October 2010, the high top version of the GloSea4 system was indicating an increased chance of a cold start to winter. That year December was the second-coldest in 350-years of records. It also highlighted the possibility that conditions in late winter were likely to be less harsh, which was indeed the case. 'In 2011, GloSea4 predicted that a mild, westerly winter was likely. This turned out to be the case—only the first two weeks of February 2012 were cold. The inclusion of the high top model is one of a series of planned improvements to long range forecasts.'

http://phys.org/news/2012-09-met-office-extreme-winters.html

Sounds like it's done a pretty good job so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Latest UKMO outlook to mid October is interesting.
    UK Outlook for Saturday 29 Sep 2012 to Saturday 13 Oct 2012:

Indications are that the end of September and the beginning of October are likely to be characterised by mainly unsettled conditions across much of the UK, with outbreaks of rain affecting many parts. This rain is likely to be heaviest and most persistent across western areas of the UK, with the east and southeast most favoured to see some drier, brighter interludes. Winds may also be strong at times, particularly across the north and west. Temperatures are likely to be below or well below average, especially by day.

Of course, that doesn't mean Ireland could have the exact same conditions, but still interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Latest UKMO outlook to mid October is interesting.
    UK Outlook for Saturday 29 Sep 2012 to Saturday 13 Oct 2012:

Indications are that the end of September and the beginning of October are likely to be characterised by mainly unsettled conditions across much of the UK, with outbreaks of rain affecting many parts. This rain is likely to be heaviest and most persistent across western areas of the UK, with the east and southeast most favoured to see some drier, brighter interludes. Winds may also be strong at times, particularly across the north and west. Temperatures are likely to be below or well below average, especially by day.

Of course, that doesn't mean Ireland could have the exact same conditions, but still interesting.

If piers forecast come off we will see a lot of cold over west europe from nov right till feb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

MET OFFICE TO PREDICT 'BIG FREEZE' WEEKS AHEAD WITH £33K COMPUTER
    The programme, set up in 2010, runs on the Office’s £33 million IBM supercomputer

Well which one is it? Make up your minds! :pac:
    yes I know it's million :p

I know the daily express are always the same , I would never believe anything they say :L

IrishGurll wrote: »
    Lol i find it funny how they bother talking about it , yet dont mention what may happen this year , the jap met use same sort of thing, yet there not getting very good results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Please......the only thing worse than seeing Selection Boxes in the supermarkets in September is seeing links to junk articles on winter freezes being posted here. Let's leave them till at least after Hallowe'en eh!!!! ;-)

Su Campu wrote: »
    Please......the only thing worse than seeing Selection Boxes in the supermarkets in September is seeing links to junk articles on winter freezes being posted here. Let's leave them till at least after Hallowe'en eh!!!! ;-)

Once one domino falls....... THEY ALL DO! :rolleyes: ....

Posted Tue, 07/31/2012 - 05:02 by Geoff Sharp

The coming winter for the Northern Hemisphere looks to be shaping up for another massive event perhaps bigger than what we experienced in 2011/2012. The last winter coincided with the highest level of EUV and FUV since the beginning of SC24 which although low by normal standards the current UV level is trending quite a bit lower. In fact the current level is not far above the SC22/23 minimum. At present the EUV levels are less than half of the values recorded during the peak of SC23.

There is strong evidence that low EUV and FUV are major players in determining the jet stream position and strength along with major changes to ozone quantities at different levels of the atmosphere. UV also has an influence on the NH polar vortex which when the conditions are right favor a negative AO over winter months. When both of these options come together the greatest effect is felt in the Northern Hemisphere. During the summer in the NH and the winter at present in the SH the mainstream media is picking up the relevance of the jet stream patterns that are occurring. This is a shift from the previous year of not only of the knowledge gained but also of the increased activity of the jet stream through 2012. If this pattern continues into 2013 we should witness some big extremes in weather with blocking highs and masses of cold air feeding from the poles.

Last season was mixed with most of the USA getting off with a warm winter, but other parts of Europe, Asia and Alaska experienced the massive event which was named the "Great Winter Freeze of 2012". The position of the jet stream was the culprit of the mixed weather which mainly saw a positive AO, but this season has the chance of being different. The quasi-biennial oscillation (QBO) is a quasi-periodic oscillation of the equatorial zonal wind between easterlies and westerlies in the tropical stratosphere which last season mostly favored the formation of a positive AO. When the QBO is in easterly mode the planetary waves that disrupt the NH polar vortex are more likely to occur which tends to produce a negative AO. A negative AO in the past few winters has positioned the jet stream so that the USA and western Europe feel the worst of the Arctic cold air movement and blocking highs that perpetuate this event. The current and expected position of the QBO is looking to favor a negative AO this season. The white area is the easterly flow.

If the UV levels are still low by December which is the current trend the liklyhood of advanced jet stream formation and a negative AO are highly possible and most likely to occur. The ENSO position will also play a role but more on a local scale. Some of the coldest temperatures recorded in the UK occurred in Dec 2010 when we were in El Nino territory. All the models that are produced by the meteorology groups are pointing towards a El Nino forming this winter in the NH. I am not so sure the models have the all required data to predict accurately as we are in a different para-dime with low solar output and a neg PDO. Most that ascribe to AGW ignore the effects of solar and ocean influences on climate and prefer to claim everything is man made, the models suffer the same fate in my opinion.

The ocean temp anomaly diagram at the opening of this article shows a neg PDO position which has the customary hot spot in the central northern pacific. Last year the prevailing winds that come with a neg PDO moved some of this warm water towards New Guinea which in turn fueled the Walker circulation pump that drives the trade winds which in turn builds up water against Asia and influences the level of the Thermocline. This pushes cold water from below that surfaces off the South American coast and flows towards Asia with assistance of the trade winds. It is still too early to call but July has seen a change with the SOI going positive and the trade winds are maintaining. There is still a high chance of a La Nina forming which would make three in a row.

Even if a weak El Nino forms and the QBO has no effect on the AO position the jet streams will still play a major role in forming massive winter events, that should be with us for the next 20 years at least if my solar predictions continue to play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Its building momentum again:pac: Everyones talking about how cold it is right now, and people think were in for a bad winter this year. Why I dont know, but the daily mail and all the bad newspapers have started with their snowpocalypse forecasts already...this is turning out just like last year! I hope it does snow, but Im not being sucked in just to be disappointed. Theres no reason to believe YET that this winter will even be below avg temps wise.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Its building momentum again:pac: Everyones talking about how cold it is right now, and people think were in for a bad winter this year. Why I dont know, but the daily mail and all the bad newspapers have started with their snowpocalypse forecasts already...this is turning out just like last year! I hope it does snow, but Im not being sucked in just to be disappointed. Theres no reason to believe YET that this winter will even be below avg temps wise.
    Geoff sharp was correct for past few years
    He seems to think west europe will be hit hard this winter.
    As we will see a neg Ao this year
    You can view his 2010 forecast he was correct
    http://www.landscheidt.info/?q=node/189

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

mcriot29 wrote: »
    Geoff sharp was correct for past few years
    He seems to think west europe will be hit hard this winter.
    As we will see a neg Ao this year
    You can view his 2010 forecast he was correct
    http://www.landscheidt.info/?q=node/189
    What did he say about last winter?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement