Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Games Have You Completed? (2021 Edition)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭TinCanMan

Bioshock Infinite [PS4] - I loved this game but not quite as much as the first. Although very different from 1 & 2 there are some slight similarities with weapons and vigours(plasmids). If you've never played a Bioshock game then the collection is available quite cheaply. I would highly recommend all three for those that haven't played them. They are masterpieces and should be played in order of release date i.e. 1,2 and then infinite.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider [PS4] - If you've played a Tomb Raider game before then you'll know what to expect. This one is slightly less combat heavy than the first two in the trilogy and more focussed on stealth and exploration. It's a beautiful looking game and whilst I enjoyed it I found it to be the weakest of the three.

Astro's Playroom [PS5] - First things first, this game is seriously fun with so much nostalgia thrown in from Playstation history that I was grinning like an idiot at times. But what's most impressive is that they used this game to highlight the new features of the Dualsense controller and boy does it shine. This is a revolution in controller design and I can't wait to see how other games will make use of it in the near future. There's a real wow factor about the Dualsense and it lives up to all the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME Shank
    PLATFORM PC

Look everyone, something that's not a fighting game :pac:

Not deep, not even that engaging from a plot-perspective. It's mindless, it's easy, and it's quick, and it's a hack'n'slash, which I'll play any day of the week.

(I figured since I'm potentially going to have a lot of games on my list this year, I went on the previous Completed Games thread and copied Retr0gamer's table layout. It was way more complicated than it needed to be :pac:)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

GAME Shank 2
    PLATFORM PC

This game encourages a little more replayability than the prequel, as there are plenty of unlockable content that you wouldn't really be able to obtain in one playthrough. Even the achievements are a little more on the grindy side compared to the last one.

Gameplay-wise (and this one's for Retr0gamer if he's still looking to play it), it plays almost the same as the original. Few extra moves/attacks have been added but they're subtle enough. Chances are, if you've played Shank 1, you've played Shank 2. A few little QOL fixes were added but like I said they're a bit subtle (like in Shank 1 you had to hold 'down' and press R1/RB to pick up an item. In Shank 2, you just need to press R1/RB). It's basically an improved version of Shank 1 with a different plot. If you're the completionist type, there's enough to keep you busy over, I'd say, 3 or 4 playthroughs. The campaign, while longer than Shank 1, is still relatively short.

It took me just over 3 hours to beat but that was with numerous deaths, which segues into my final point; Shank 2 is much more challenging than the original. There is one thing about both games that I probably shouldn't be annoyed at, but it annoys me anyway; at no point do you have any form of temporary invincibility while doing certain attacks. Like any animation can be interrupted. This was something I couldn't get used to. The game gets a little cheap at times. It's very difficult to keep a combo going as well - I'm probably comparing it to Streets of Rage 4 in that regard, but the combo system in Shank 2 (and Shank 1) is not very lenient. If you stop attacking for literally 0.5 seconds, the combo is over. I think the devs compensated for this as well, as in Shank 1 you had to get a combo of 100 to unlock a certain costume (and an achievement). In Shank 2, the achievement was to get a combo of 20 hits 10 seperate times.

I'm waffling on.

Shank 2 is good but only if you liked Shank 1. If you didn't like Shank 1, you probably won't like Shank 2, though it is a slight improvement.

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|
    #|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM

1|RESIDENT EVIL 3|PS4|11|NEOGEO BATTLE COLISEUM|XBOX 360|21|SF ALPHA 3 (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC

2|ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN|PS4|12|FATAL FURY (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|22|SF3: NEW GENERATION (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC

3|GRIS|PS4|13|STREET FIGHTER (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC|23|SF3: 2ND IMPACT (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC

4|SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD|PS4|14|SFII: THE WORLD WARRIOR (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC|24|SF3: 3RD STRIKE (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION|PC

5|STREETS OF RAGE 4|SWITCH|15|SFII: CHAMPION EDITION (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC|25|SHANK|PC

6|KOF '94 (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|16|SFII: HYPER FIGHTING (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC|26|SHANK 2|PC

7|KOF '95 (KOF COLLECTION: THE OROCHI SAGA)|PS4|17|SSFII: THE NEW CHALLENGERS (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC

8|KOF '96 (KOF COLLECTION: THE OROCHI SAGA)|PS4|18|SSFII TURBO (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC

9|KOF '97: GLOBAL MATCH|PS4|19|SF ALPHA (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC

10|KOF '98: ULTIMATE MATCH|PS4|20|SF ALPHA 2 (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭McFly85

#|GAME|PLATFORM
    1|Days Gone| PS5
    2|Final Fantasy IX | Switch

Final Fantasy IX

After replaying VII and VIII last year, and having it recommended to me from a few friends, I decided to play IX as it was their favourite of the ps1 games.

Overall I enjoyed it! I liked the story, and it’s one of the most likeable cast of characters in a final fantasy game(Steiner is the best!) and I enjoyed the side quests too.

However, I found the first half of the game sloooowwwwwww. The Active Time Events(cutscenes) had the game trudging along. You could have spent a fair few minutes in a main story cutscene then as soon as you’re given back control, there’s more cutscenes to watch. I know they’re optional but I felt I had to watch them anyway because I didn’t want to miss anything. By the time you get an airship and are properly let off the leash it becomes much more fun, but you are very deep into the game by the time it happens.

The battle system is nothing groundbreaking but it’s fun nonetheless. Trance was fine but barely used, but equipment hunting for abilities was enjoyable. Overall though I found it a little disappointing they reverted to type after pushing the boat out a bit with VIIIs junction system.

I enjoyed my time with it, I will go back and finish the rest of the side quests at some point, but I’m not sure I’ll play through it all again. If I do though I’ll be skipping those ATEs!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gameplay-wise (and this one's for Retr0gamer if he's still looking to play it), it plays almost the same as the original.

:pac: Actually appreciate the review. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

#|GAME|PLATFORM
    1|Streets of Rage 4 | Switch
    2|Cyberpunk 2077 | PS5(Ps4 version)
    3| Remnant from the ashes | PS5(ps4)
    4| Life is strange Season 2 | PS5(PS4)
    5| FFX HD remaster | Switch

Life is strange Season 2

Wrapped this up over a few weeks. Really enjoyed but jesus it was so grim, also the brother was super annoying just god damn listen to me.:P
    Felt it wasn't as good as the first but the multiple endings made up for the disappointing one LIS had.

FFX HD remaster

This was surely a blast from the past, played this when I was 10 and replaying it I legit had not a clue what the feck, was going on.
    Was a bit bittersweet personally for me as I remember watching my late brother finish this and play it. It brought back some memories, also highlights for me even though people see games as throwaway media they can have really strong memories attached to them, especially for younger generations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Game|Platform|Game|Platform
    Megaman X2|SNES||
    Streets of Rage 4|PC||
    Sekiro|PC||
    Megaman 7|SNES||
    Megaman 8|PS1||
    Megaman X3|SNES||
    Megaman & Bass|SNES||
    13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim|PS4||

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Really did not know what to expect from this. A plot heavy game from Vanillaware who despite really enjoying all their games haven't really excelled when it comes to plot.

Thankfully I had nothing to worry about. 13 Sentinels is a triumph of sci-fi writing. The story following the 13 protagonists is full surprises and while complex is never hard to follow or convoluted which is an achievement considering all the plot threads that need to be disentangled. Any complaints are minor, there's more focus on exploring the science fiction than characterisation but this never really detracted from it. To me it was an exploration on how pop culture affects and influences us and it's importance.

There's a battle mode as well which while not very challenging I did find a lot of fun. While the main game has some of the best looking visuals of any game of last generation, the battle mode is represented in abstract tron like visuals. I didn't have a problem with this but it would have been great to see the battles in gorgeous vanillaware 2D art. The sound design is fantastic here with each attack feeling very impactful. And while we are on sound this game has the best soundtrack I've heard from last year. The battle themes in particular are absolute standouts.

Super easy Platinum as well considering it's my only platinum trophy and I've absolutely no interest in getting trophies but still got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Game|Platform|Game|Platform
    Megaman X2|SNES||
    Streets of Rage 4|PC||
    Sekiro|PC||
    Megaman 7|SNES||
    Megaman 8|PS1||
    Megaman X3|SNES||
    Megaman & Bass|SNES||
    13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim|PS4||

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Really did not know what to expect from this. A plot heavy game from Vanillaware who despite really enjoying all their games haven't really excelled when it comes to plot.

Thankfully I had nothing to worry about. 13 Sentinels is a triumph of sci-fi writing. The story following the 13 protagonists is full surprises and while complex is never hard to follow or convoluted which is an achievement considering all the plot threads that need to be disentangled. Any complaints are minor, there's more focus on exploring the science fiction than characterisation but this never really detracted from it. To me it was an exploration on how pop culture affects and influences us and it's importance.

There's a battle mode as well which while not very challenging I did find a lot of fun. While the main game has some of the best looking visuals of any game of last generation, the battle mode is represented in abstract tron like visuals. I didn't have a problem with this but it would have been great to see the battles in gorgeous vanillaware 2D art. The sound design is fantastic here with each attack feeling very impactful. And while we are on sound this game has the best soundtrack I've heard from last year. The battle themes in particular are absolute standouts.

Super easy Platinum as well considering it's my only platinum trophy and I've absolutely no interest in getting trophies but still got it!

Had my eye on this for a while. Down to 29.99 on PS store at the moment too. Tempted, although I only started into Demon Souls yesterday so will probably be at that for a while

It's worth it. It's like binging an amazing sci-fi series. It's pretty much the best thing I played that was released last year. The disappointing Last of Us 2 made off with all the story and narrative awards last year like a criminal when this game exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Congrats on your first. May this be the beginning of something beautiful. :D

You seem to get a lot of platinum's. You must research a game before you play it as no way do you get platinum's going in blind as a lot of games you need to do specific things or tricks.

Congrats on your first. May this be the beginning of something beautiful. :D

I've no interest at all in achievements but Sony's trophies are an awful system. They're shoehorned into the operating system and there's still issues with them loading. It's just a horrible system to use, whereas you can check achievements instantaneously on XBox. So I've even less interest in Sony's half arsed version :)

• Advertisement

Not true. The Xbox version of a platinum is a 1000 score from the game and each additional dlc adds 200 I think. Same thing really. And it was deisgned well before trophy hunters and completionists took things to extremes. To be honest, nobody is forcing them to buy dlc

Games were always 1000 GS from the get go and 200 for the arcade games this is back on the 360 era. It's a bit complicated regarding DLC as they all differ it used to be 250 for a large DLC but that has changed for many many years as some are 500 and some if not more.

I'm no expert on GS anymore but as I said they were always 1000 per game.

GAME Black Mesa (Half-Life Remake)
    PLATFORM PC

Jesus.....where do I start with this...

I am, by no means - no stretch of the imagination, a fan of Half-Life. I have never been interested in the games at all. My first time playing Half-Life was kind of by accident, in a way. My cousin and I were in the video shop (I was about 12) and we could not decide what game to rent. One stranger recommended Half-Life to us -- told us it was amazing.

My cousin wanted to get it but I wanted to get a different game. I didn't like the look of it. So I got Metal Gear Solid 2 and he got Half-Life.

We tried out Half-Life first. Christ I thought it looked boring, "oh wow a crowbar". Puny aliens for enemies and a very boring environment.

I avoided the game, and the series, ever since - hated it. At no point was I ever enticed to try it out apart from maybe one time about 10 years ago. Still couldn't get into it. Fast-forward to now where I've just went and impulsively bought, pretty much the entire franchise, including all expansions, Portal 1 & 2 and Team Fortress 1 & 2.

I tried Half-Life 1, thought the visuals were ugly as sin and the audio was very tin-can-like. I tried Half-Life Source (basically a light remaster of the game using the newer Source engine). Had to download a mod that fixed a load of bugs but it would ultimately lock me out of my Steam integration -- screenshots, play time, none of it counted, and I really enjoy that aspect of Steam. So I naturally dropped it.

Then I found Black Mesa - I had no idea it was a remake of the original, so I got it without thinking.

I started to enjoy it more, this time. I opened my mind and played it for what it is.

And...….. it was okay.

The first half of the game was not that bad. I enjoyed solving a few of the puzzles, and I was really enjoying the fact that 70% of the game's "world" was all linked together. Every level was connected and there were no Chapter-Loading-Screens (there were a few times where the game would stop to load for a few seconds just to render in the next area but it wasn't so intrusive that it killed the momentum). The gunplay felt satisfying, albeit my shaky hand was not a big help at times (this is the first time I've ever beaten a PC game while exclusively using a mouse and keyboard. At no point did I switch to or from a gamepad. I'm quite proud of this :pac:)

The last 3 or 4 chapters of the game really dragged on, with the final 2 chapters being ridiculously long. It was at this point I was starting to get really drained and fed up.. Once I got to the final chapter I thought I was nearing the end. No, 2 hours later I finally got to the last boss.

The length ruined what was the beginning of my actual enjoyment of this game. I am not a fan of the setting, I don't care about the characters
    (bar one recurring character that appears in the background, subtly, throughout certain parts of the game, until he finally approaches you at the end. He was the only person that interested me. I couldn't care less about Gordon Freeman at this moment)
    and the enemies are too similar to
    The Flood from Halo
    , who I ****ing loathe with a passion, so it was quite the turn off here.

I'm happy I was able to tick it off the list as a game I had to play to justify an opinion, and my opinion is it was okay, but I doubt I'll go back...

Technically, and I'll give the devs a soft pass with this as it was an unofficial remake at the time it was made, but the game's performance was really inconsistent at times. All the indoor sections were mostly fine. But the outdoor sections and the last few chapters were really starting to chug. The game is not very well optimised. But then again it looked like it was pushing the Source engine to its absolute limits. Even turning my graphics settings down to low did nothing to fix the performance.

TL;DR: Black Mesa/Half-Life is a game I avoided for 20 years and after finally giving it a go from start to finish I can safely say my opinion of the game is it's better than I thought but it's not as good as I hoped. I haven't decided if I'll continue playing the series. I found this really dull at times, and I also think it outstayed its welcome after I got to the last 3 chapters.

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|
    #|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM|#|GAME|PLATFORM

1|RESIDENT EVIL 3|PS4|11|NEOGEO BATTLE COLISEUM|XBOX 360|21|SF ALPHA 3 (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC

2|ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN|PS4|12|FATAL FURY (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|22|SF3: NEW GENERATION (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC

3|GRIS|PS4|13|STREET FIGHTER (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC|23|SF3: 2ND IMPACT (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC

4|SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD|PS4|14|SFII: THE WORLD WARRIOR (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC|24|SF3: 3RD STRIKE (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION|PC

5|STREETS OF RAGE 4|SWITCH|15|SFII: CHAMPION EDITION (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC|25|SHANK|PC

6|KOF '94 (ACA NEOGEO)|PS4|16|SFII: HYPER FIGHTING (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC|26|SHANK 2|PC

7|KOF '95 (KOF COLLECTION: THE OROCHI SAGA)|PS4|17|SSFII: THE NEW CHALLENGERS (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC|27|BLACK MESA|PC

8|KOF '96 (KOF COLLECTION: THE OROCHI SAGA)|PS4|18|SSFII TURBO (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC

9|KOF '97: GLOBAL MATCH|PS4|19|SF ALPHA (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC

10|KOF '98: ULTIMATE MATCH|PS4|20|SF ALPHA 2 (30TH A'VERSARY COLLECTION)|PC

Ok, looks like Retro and you were right. I checked my 360 and COD classic had a max GS of 200 but all the other games had a base of 1000 GS. Still a crappy system though, although I must say looking at how close I am to maxing out a lot of them one might be tempted...

I only respect people with a high gamerscore and don't when they talk about trophies.

It's weird that during the 360 everyone was all about gamerscore and nobody cared about trophies and now with the complete belly flop that was the Xbox One Trophies are all I hear about.

I only respect people with a high gamerscore and don't when they talk about trophies.

It's weird that during the 360 everyone was all about gamerscore and nobody cared about trophies and now with the complete belly flop that was the Xbox One Trophies are all I hear about.

My trophy level means nothing to me now, since they changed the numbering system on it. It's now three-hundred-and-something - I've no idea.

My Xbox gamerscore is in the 100,000s, do you respect me??? :pac:

My Xbox gamerscore is in the 100,000s, do you respect me??? :pac:

I'm proud of you :pac:

I'm proud of you :pac:

I feel loved.

Seems like you prefer the GS just because it's a relic system rather than because it's genuinely better.

Well I don't care about either but I prefer Gamerscore because it actually works on a technical level.

On XBox if I want to check achievements and check what achievements my friends have and so a comparison is super quick with instantaneous loading and near instantaneous when looking at a friends.

Trophies on the other hand have always been a disaster technically. They take ages to load up if you just want to check. I noticed when I got my platinum they also take forever to update as I went to check if I did actually get a platinum but my trophies were at 60% for a good two minutes before updating.

And then checking a friends trophies? Forget about it unless you can wait until the heat death of the sun before they load.

So even though I don't care about either I'd sometimes check achievements as it's so quick and easy whereas I've to put on the kettle to check trophies while they load so never bother.

Well I don't care about either but I prefer Gamerscore because it actually works on a technical level.

On XBox if I want to check achievements and check what achievements my friends have and so a comparison is super quick with instantaneous loading and near instantaneous when looking at a friends.

Trophies on the other hand have always been a disaster technically. They take ages to load up if you just want to check. I noticed when I got my platinum they also take forever to update as I went to check if I did actually get a platinum but my trophies were at 60% for a good two minutes before updating.

And then checking a friends trophies? Forget about it unless you can wait until the heat death of the sun before they load.

So even though I don't care about either I'd sometimes check achievements as it's so quick and easy whereas I've to put on the kettle to check trophies while they load so never bother.

Xbox was so much better than PS back on the 360 era.(I never owned a PS4 or 5 so can't compare them to now) On the 360 back then you could look at what games your friends owned as well as compare achievements that you may have got that friends didn't and vise versa.

edit: Just thinking PS may have implemented them features eventually but at launch and good while after they couldn't do that.

edit: Just thinking PS may have implemented them features eventually but at launch and good while after they couldn't do that.

That's pretty much it. Microsoft got so much right with the 360. They knew the future was in digital downloads and built their OS around it and the achievements were built into the OS.

Playstation 3's OS was a half arsed hodge podge with a store front built from terrible HTML that's unresponsive and that constantly crashes out to the OS if you spend too long in it and the memory leaks get too much (buying up the last few PS3 games lately has been a horrible experience). Trophies were added pretty late in the PS3 and they were badly coded into the OS in a slap dash fashion. The lack of achievements was seen as a massive negative for sony and along with their store just made them seem so far behind MS. That legacy code has persisted and it's not really gotten better, PS4 trophies are just as poorly handled very, although that might have been improved with the PS5. I kind of doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Call of duty cold war - PS4
    A plague tale innocence - Xbox one
    Fifa 20 - Xbox one

Hotshot racing - Xbox one

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

|GAMES BEATEN IN 2021|#|GAME|PLATFORM
    1|Astro's Playroom|PS5
    2|Spider Man Remastered|PS5
    3|Maneater|PS5
    4|Jedi: Fallen Order|Series X
    5|Streets of Rage 4|Series X
    6|Halo Reach|Series X

Halo Reach - Much shorter than I remembered, it was finished in about 4 1/2 hours on normal difficulty according to the in game timer. Good enough variety in the campaign and it was paced pretty well. Enjoyable stuff going through it again after so many years.

Advertisement