Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BGW and DGW 20/21 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I've only started looking at this today when I was throwing the sheet together......initial thoughts are that it's not the the most appealing BGW/DGW scenario...not sure yet if it's worth a Free Hit and/or BB :confused:

Will have a proper look in a while but I think some advance planning and a couple of hits might be the best way to go

I have been having the exact opposite thoughts.

Some cheaper players with good fixtures
    Possible to avoid players playing each other
    Limited Rotation
    Noone on the beach
    Time to plan

This is a game week to attack (rank impacting this of course) and I have one City/Spurs at the moment

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Doing a bit of planning here, West Ham on the DGW look an awful trap
    Burnley (H) - Dyche/Pope
    West Brom (H) - Big Sam back at WH

No doubt I'll have Coufal, Soucek and Antonio by then

Get your own West Ham trio :-)

Expect they will be in most teams

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was thinking based on my team

I have this selection - saving a transfer this week most likely

GnGrFV6.png

I want to get to this selection by gw18 in four transfers - might just play 10 (or 9 plus 1 point brewster)

XbtZwFi.png

gw19 a -4 or another two transfers depending

Will have 7 DGW players

N8p2e47.png

Something along those lines I will be aiming for no bench boost or free hit used or anything.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭howareyakid

From having a quick look, and having used my first WC, my initial thoughts have been to plan for the DGW19, FH for BGW18 and possibly play BB for double. This will leave the second WC for the next big blank and double later on in the season where the plan would more than likely to build for the blank and WC after that GW. For this upcoming blank, I think by building for the blank GW could leave my team weakened and then I'd either have to FH or play the WC to have a decent team for the double. Maybe the whole thing could be navigated with a few hits etc. as a previous poster suggested but with my rank hovering around the 1.5M mark, I think I need to try and attack it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Thanks Cartman for the very helpful spreadsheet.

Going through my planned transfers and team for it. Currently I'm currently Looking at 8 BGW & 22 DGW. The extra FT and 0.5 ITB will nearly leave a bit of wiggle room in case of injuries, hopping on a bandwagon etc.

Is it wrong that I could be coming out of the DGW with 2FTs? Sometimes it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking a DGW is better than a single game eg City & Spurs have appealing single GWs. Is a single Kane worth a DGW Antonio?

If I use the extra FT in the DGW I can have 9 BGW & 23 DGW.

EDIT: damn it, I don't have that extra FT. ah well. I'll play the one transfer each week and the DGW can be a -4. Not the worst thing in the world if I avoid taking a hit until then.

• Advertisement

Fitz* wrote: »
    Thanks Cartman for the very helpful spreadsheet.

Going through my planned transfers and team for it. Currently I'm currently Looking at 8 BGW & 22 DGW. The extra FT and 0.5 ITB will nearly leave a bit of wiggle room in case of injuries, hopping on a bandwagon etc.

Is it wrong that I could be coming out of the DGW with 2FTs? Sometimes it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking a DGW is better than a single game eg City & Spurs have appealing single GWs. Is a single Kane worth a DGW Antonio?

If I use the extra FT in the DGW I can have 9 BGW & 23 DGW.

EDIT: damn it, I don't have that extra FT. ah well. I'll play the one transfer each week and the DGW can be a -4. Not the worst thing in the world if I avoid taking a hit until then.

Does not seem to be many teams with two nice DGW's imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Does not seem to be many teams with two nice DGW's imo.

Yeah agree. I don't think it's a DGW where you would be rushing to get 3 players in from certain teams.

Because of the way it's set up, every team either has 2 home games or 2 away games. For example if you have Vardy, you're happy that you have him twice but at the same time, you won't be rushing to get an other in as both their games are tough games. Man Utd have an attractive looking fixture away to Fulham but are also away to Liverpool. Liverpool are at home to Burnley but also home to Man Utd. 2 teams who will try to sit deep and contain Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭markc91

Whats the best play if you have all chips left currently have 8 for the BGW and 22 for the DGW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

markc91 wrote: »
    Whats the best play if you have all chips left currently have 8 for the BGW and 22 for the DGW

Potential to hold the chips if you think they are solid players.

You could be at a huge advantage later in season if things went a bit tits up on fixtures

Looking at all the sales... inevitable KdB GW19 hauls CRY (H)

• Advertisement

Team I’ll be aiming for over the next few weeks for GW19 BB

Mendy (Meslier)

TAA Chilwell Coufal (Allioski, Taylor)

Salah, Bruno, Walcott, Benrahma (KdB)

Bamford, Adams, Watkins

-20point so 6 transfers to get to that. Can build towards which will be -8pts before then!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I have my first half of season wildcard left and have to use it by GW16. I am therefore thinking about loading my team with DGW players for GW16, GW17 & GW19. In GW18, I can use my free hit.

Thoughts on this strategy lads?

The teams with doubles (by my checking, hoping not missing anyone) are Liverpool, Chelsea, Leicester, West Brom, Leeds, Burnley, West Ham, Southampton, Man United & Fulham.

I already have 9 players from those teams that I'm fairly happy with:

McCarthy
    KWP
    Justin
    Coufal
    Dallas
    Fernandes
    Salah
    Anguissa
    Che Adams

I'm happy enough to bring in Bamford, potentially Ziyech or Pulisic, get back Chilwell, possibly Robertson or TAA and then probably Mane to go alongside these. Potentially Rashford or Vardy too.

A West Brom defender will be good as well going forward as they have brought in Big Sam whose first move will be to make them hard to break down.

Son is arguably the only player of my current team that I wouldn't take out who doesn't have a DGW but they play Sheff Utd that week anyway.

McCarthy (Martin)
    Dier, Justin, Dallas, Coufal, KWP
    KDB, Salah, Son, Fernandes, Anguissa
    Wilson, Adams, DCL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Having overthunk it every year and regretting desperate outcomes, my plan is to do nothing and have maybe 2 starters in gw18 and whatever turns up in GW19. It seems to pay off for other casual players so why stress over it for the next month?

Having overthunk it every year and regretting desperate outcomes, my plan is to do nothing and have maybe 2 starters in gw18 and whatever turns up in GW19. It seems to pay off for other casual players so why stress over it for the next month?

I am still going with my tactic of not using BB or Free Hit seems no need.

In the past the BB does not seem to get much points anyway. 20 points in or around if you are lucky.
    I have the feeling not going bench boost and FH might be the way to get a jump on all the overplanners and DGW frenzy later in the season. Even if I do BB/FH when a core of teams have nice single gameweeks against West Brom/Fulham/Leeds it could be the better way.

How many times have people gone for DGW players and the ignored single gameweek players do far better? I think about 7 DGW players for gw19 seems about right unless someone can convince me otherwise between now and then.

I am still going with my tactic of not using BB or Free Hit seems no need.

In the past the BB does not seem to get much points anyway. 20 points in or around if you are lucky.
    I have the feeling not going bench boost and FH might be the way to get a jump on all the overplanners and DGW frenzy later in the season. Even if I do BB/FH when a core of teams have nice single gameweeks against West Brom/Fulham/Leeds it could be the better way.

How many times have people gone for DGW players and the ignored single gameweek players do far better? I think about 7 DGW players for gw19 seems about right unless someone can convince me otherwise between now and then.

It totally depends on your team. There isn't one right strategy.

The DGWBB works for me as little Spurs/City and hard to get in

I think I can only remember WC BB and TC working once properly for me when Sanchez got a lot of points for Arsenal. I am not sure the FH chip was on the go then it was only introduced for the 2017/2018 season.

What seems to happen every year is a core of fpl players all use the BB/FH wildcard at the same time. Then later in the season there is always a particular set of fixtures where people say they wish they had BB/FH.

Another poster made a good point that waiting late in the season is normally a bad tactic, rotation - teams on the beach etc. It is a fair argument as half of the team picked seems to backfire. Waiting for a nice set of fixtures sometime before then and after gw19 could be the smart move.

It totally depends on your team. There isn't one right strategy.

The DGWBB works for me as little Spurs/City and hard to get in

Fair point. Spurs and City look like definite teams to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Is the GW30+ BGW because of the FA Cup? So it could be similar to this one with less than 5 games happening. I suppose the call is to see if its possible to hold the Free hit now or not. And to decide now as all transfers would have to have the blank & double in mind. Will probably just FH and hope for the best later in the aseaos

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I will probably free hit for the five games then bench boost for the 15 games .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I think I can only remember WC BB and TC working once properly for me when Sanchez got a lot of points for Arsenal. I am not sure the FH chip was on the go then it was only introduced for the 2017/2018 season.

What seems to happen every year is a core of fpl players all use the BB/FH wildcard at the same time. Then later in the season there is always a particular set of fixtures where people say they wish they had BB/FH.

Another poster made a good point that waiting late in the season is normally a bad tactic, rotation - teams on the beach etc. It is a fair argument as half of the team picked seems to backfire. Waiting for a nice set of fixtures sometime before then and after gw19 could be the smart move.

Struggling to get the energy to figure all this out.

Have to agree with the above, bench boost has always been the most overrated chip of them all.

Like an old drunk sleeping in the corner I wake up around this time every year to mumble "bench boost only gives you 4 extra players, and they are your 4 cheapest players" before dozing off again.

Since it came in it seems to always get merged with general DGW play and the 15 DGW player fantasy. I still even see it a bit scanning this thread.

But what's actually putting me off BB for GW19 is that I don't see the goalkeeper, 2 cheap defs and a cheap mid or forward that I fancy making an effort and focusing my precious transfers to get in.

I'm a born again casual, so forgive me for lecturing the serious players here, but my basic beliefs about BB is that it's generally best used soon after a wildcard as that avoids the unseen cost of using transfers to get cheap bench players lined up. Whereas you can sort those a part of a WC with an imminent BB in mind - either on a SGW or a DGW by the way, the quality of the fixtures for the cheapies is generally more important than the quantity.

It's very over rated as I said already. Getting 15 to 20 points from those 4 extra player who would otherwise not be in your first 11 would be a superb return. Saw someone say they got 50 from it and if that's genuine it's close to a miracle.

• Advertisement

FHFC wrote: »
    Struggling to get the energy to figure all this out.

It's very over rated as I said already. Getting 15 to 20 points from those 4 extra player who would otherwise not be in your first 11 would be a superb return. Saw someone say they got 50 from it and if that's genuine it's close to a miracle.

Ya thats Joe Bloggs who plays Bisoumma and had Salah on his bench!

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Newbie20

I’m new enough to Fantasy (well new to doing it and changing it every week anyway) so I’ve stupidly used my free hit on a random week earlier in the season..

So I’m unsure what to do with the upcoming BGW and DGW. I’ve only about 4 players currently due to play in GW18. But I’m happy enough with my team at the moment and don’t want to go messing with it too much. Would it be stupid to just basically sacrifice GW18 to keep my team similar to what it is and hopefully reap the rewards in GW19? Maybe I’ll use a few free transfers in the coming weeks to get me up to around 7 players playing on GW18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Bit way out but there's plenty of point scorers for all those teams, load of on a big front 7 for one week and a budget defence

Not even looking at budget you've got

Darlow
    Konsa Lamptey Stones
    Son PEA Zaha KDB Grealish
    Aguero DCL

You've Kane to consider too if you can shoehorn him in there, maybe take a Neto in midfield. You've PVA, Reguilion, Digne, if ya prefer to go bigger at the back

Am really only starting to think about Skinny GW18 and DGW19 properly now.....

Here is my current squad - OR 1.4M O.1 ITB
    Martinez Steer
    Zouma Stones KWP Ogbonna Lamptey
    Fernandes Salah Son Grealish Soucek
    DCL Kane Bamford

Have 2FT currently....players who I would lose value on if I sold them and wanted them back later iykwim are Grealish (.2) Bamford (.2) Kane (.1)
    Some players look at that as making money when transferring them out ....I don't:).....overall am disappointed with my OR thus far this Season ....was on wrong side of a few Capt decisions that didn't work out and usual transfer hard luck stories we all have....sold Son the week before his massive haul....got him back in after it again :(

Am happy enough with my squad as it is for the Festive fixtures as all are starting for their teams bar fodder keeper.

But for the upcoming skinny GW18 would currently only have 3 players!...straightaway that would suggest using the Free Hit and build towards a decent squad for the DGW by using normal transfers between now and then.

Sorry for long post.....in a nutshell, after looking at my squad would ya be inclined to go with free hit for the skinny GW and put together a crack outfit like Shedite 27 has illustrated above for the Skinny GW and bring in a few lads from likes of Leicester and Leeds and a second playing keeper for the DGW?

Thanks for any thoughts....

Sorry for long post.....in a nutshell, after looking at my squad would ya be inclined to go with free hit for the skinny GW and put together a crack outfit like Shedite 27 has illustrated above for the Skinny GW and bring in a few lads from likes of Leicester and Leeds and a second playing keeper for the DGW?

Thanks for any thoughts....

Yes, Lamptey can make way.

I dont know if you need a second keeper, as that is 0.5 and 2 transfers (unless you move to rotating longer term)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Yes, Lamptey can make way.

I dont know if you need a second keeper, as that is 0.5 and 2 transfers (unless you move to rotating longer term)

Thanks for reply...yeah I get your thinking on just staying with Martinez until Villas fixtures take a serious turn for the worse around GW31.
    He has 3 tough fixtures over Xmas but Villas defence is pretty solid at the mo.
    What do you think of my squad going into Xmas period? Have to use 1 FT this week or will lose it.Considering dumping Zouma as Chelsea are a bit brittle at the back at mo and bringing in someone with nice fixtures and potential for some assists like Alioski or Dallas from Leeds.
    Plus Leeds defenders are fun to own!:)

Free hit in BGW 18 then dead-end to the BGW later in the season with a view to using the second WC to rectify the damage? Trying to transfer people in for a BGW now is not ideal as I am really happy with my team.

Thanks for reply...yeah I get your thinking on just staying with Martinez until Villas fixtures take a serious turn for the worse around GW31.
    He has 3 tough fixtures over Xmas but Villas defence is pretty solid at the mo.
    What do you think of my squad going into Xmas period? Have to use 1 FT this week or will lose it.Considering dumping Zouma as Chelsea are a bit brittle at the back at mo and bringing in someone with nice fixtures and potential for some assists like Alioski or Dallas from Leeds.
    Plus Leeds defenders are fun to own!:)

Zouma has the best DGW, so I would keep him.

Your team is in good shape

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

FHFC wrote: »

That was me, I remember someone on twitter took a screenshot of it and found it. It was 46points with no messing around putting Salah type players on the bench. Not sure if it's a miracle as it was a double game week, I'd be expecting around 25 normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Dearg81 wrote: »
    That was me, I remember someone on twitter took a screenshot of it and found it. It was 46points with no messing around putting Salah type players on the bench. Not sure if it's a miracle as it was a double game week, I'd be expecting around 25 normally.

That’s a monster score! We’re all 15 players on a dgw? My only problem with gw 19 is I have son, Dias, Grealish and Martinez (4 players) who I want to keep, which would mean 11 dgws and 4 single gw players on a bench boost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

joeyboy11 wrote: »
    That’s a monster score! We’re all 15 players on a dgw? My only problem with gw 19 is I have son, Dias, Grealish and Martinez (4 players) who I want to keep, which would mean 11 dgws and 4 single gw players on a bench boost.

I think the 3 spurs lads were the only single gw players. I remember Spurs played Brighton and Eriksen scored with a couple of minutes left which cost the bench boost around 10 points I think.

Advertisement