Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Spear wrote: »
    I'm completely underwhelmed by this.

The flying is horrible, no sense of motion, and the flight controls are treacle.

Yeah, it's pretty horrific to say the least but if you set the mouse controls for flying down around 25-30 on the scale in setting its workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

its like andromada gameplay without cover, no real story (unless its in full release, wtf are the dominion?) and destiny game design

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

its like andromada gameplay without cover, no real story (unless its in full release, wtf are the dominion?) and destiny game design

The dominion are an antagonistic human group who intend to control the anthem for selfish purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I'm completely underwhelmed by this.

The flying is horrible, no sense of motion, and the flight controls are treacle.

Keyboard & mouse?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Varik wrote: »
    Keyboard & mouse?

Yes.

The sensitivity on the rest, walking/shooting is fine. But when flying the javelin just wallows in the air.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Played a couple hours there, seems ok. You are just thrown in the deep end really, no much explanation. Once you get the hang of it I enjoyed it. Although it did crash just there, I loaded up the game again and I am back to the start haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Yes.

The sensitivity on the rest, walking/shooting is fine. But when flying the javelin just wallows in the air.

Are you pressing forward to go fast? If you just hit shift to fly then they go a slowish/medium speed, if you pull back they go really slow but if you push forward (W) and they go plenty fast.

Are you pressing forward to go fast? If you just hit shift to fly then they go a slowish/medium speed, if you pull back they go really slow but if you push forward (W) and they go plenty fast.

I had thought I was, I'll need to go retry.

I had thought I was, I'll need to go retry.

I was. It still feels way less than the soaring impression the past videos have conveyed.

• Advertisement

• Saw a good Tweet earlier. 'Want to play Anthem?' 'It's called Warframe. And it's free'. :v

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Stopped trying to get on lastnight about 9pm, trying now and still saying i dont have access but the redeem page saying congrats you already have access?

Dcully wrote: »
    Stopped trying to get on lastnight about 9pm, trying now and still saying i dont have access but the redeem page saying congrats you already have access?

Your playstation account is prob tied to a different EA account. Happening loads of people.

Dont have a playstation.

PC the only way to play :)

What a setup lol, you have access/you dont have access.
    This is 10x worse than launches MMO games ever experienced and this is only a demo.

That's really weird so. Did you get a code or a link? If a code try redeem it in origin again.

Got link to redeem, redeem says congrats i have accesc but when i start game the log in screen says i dont have access.
    Uninstalled from origin and reinstalled and still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭jones

I really want this game to be good. I love mass effect trilogy although never played Andromeda. The first Destiny was decent but too much of a grind for me never bothered with the second. I'm starting to get the feeling from reading previews that Anthem is going to be more like destiny than I had hoped.

This was originally one of my highlight games of the year but I'll just wait and see how it reviews now.

Ps am I the only one who prefers single player games over mmo? I'd prefer a main single player campaign and a separate online contingent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

jones wrote: »
    I really want this game to be good. I love mass effect trilogy although never played Andromeda. The first Destiny was decent but too much of a grind for me never bothered with the second. I'm starting to get the feeling from reading previews that Anthem is going to be more like destiny than I had hoped.

This was originally one of my highlight games of the year but I'll just wait and see how it reviews now.

Ps am I the only one who prefers single player games over mmo? I'd prefer a main single player campaign and a separate online contingent.

I like online games for the social aspect, but the time consuming nature of them can be a bit off-putting. That being said, I can see why games like this include a grind. They need to keep players engaged to be successful, otherwise people just drop off after a few weeks (destiny 2 release being a good example).

The trick is keeping things engaging to the average player rather than monotonous, while also keeping something for the hardcore players to grind for. I think It's harder than it might seem to get that balance right. Too little to grind for and the hardcore players drop out, too much and the casual players drop out. Using destiny 2 as an example again, I think they got the balance right with forsaken's release. There was a grind, but it was fairly engaging and didn't feel repetitive, with a couple of longer really grindy quests to keep hardcore players interested. I think they've moved towards too much grind for my liking again lately, but that's a whole rant in itself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Couldn’t get a server last night but I’ve been plying fairly consistently since about 9am today.

I love it. Absolutely love it. It’s like destiny 2 on steroids. Or maybe destiny 2 played at titan fall speeds and manouverabilty. Some of the missions are absolute mayhem.

The server issues are dissappointing - but I think they may have sent too many invitations...it’s doesn’t take way from the quality of the gameplay though.

Xbox one

Still no joy getting in on my account so i played an hour there on a friends account and its very underwhelming.

Its okay i suppose but the gunplay is not as good as destiny,warframe or the division [ie other looter shooters]
    Movement is not as good as warframe,infact the flying and swimming on PC is utterly broken.
    FOV is weird,graphics are decent but nothing special.

I want it to be great as im obsessed with looter games and have been for the last 15 years [sad i know] but the core gameplay feels very average so far to me.

• Advertisement

so i said id give it another go tonight, maybe i was too harsh on it last night. Load in perfect, go to my next mission, cut scene loads, and its frozen. This game is a mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I managed to get a few hours in tonight without any loading issues and made it to level 13 from a couple of story missions and some free roam play. As a loot shooter Anthem is just an ok game and pales beside other similar games in the genre like Warframe, Destiny 2 and The Division. The graphics are grand but nothing to write home about and its other systems like movement, gunplay and missions are just meh but its main gimmick flying, is god awful on PC and super clunky. The map is not as nearly as big as I was expecting seeing it a single location game. This game will be a hard pass for me unless there are massive improvements in the final release along with huge amounts of content and seeing as this was the game that was supposed to save Bioware, I've a feeling that studio is in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Loving this game so far. Complete the missions and stronghold so not much else to do but feck... could be onto a winner here. They have work to do for sure. Definitely some QOL options missing and connection issues that need resolving. But once that is sorted out and as long as they have a good endgame, we really will have a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The demo only has free roam with public events and 3 story missions.....but the "stronghold" dungeon is where it impressed me. It's Hard on hard which is nice. If you don't stick with your team and work together you will die several times.

Getting a group together and comboing is an absolute joy and something that I never got in destiny outside of some of the raid encounters. This is what this game seems to have over Diablo or Destiny. In either, you can just abandon your group and go off on your own for minutes at a time and just slaughter the AI no problem. In this, you'll get killed.

The combat basically feels like Mass Effect Andromeda with flying....which is no bad thing as the combat in ME:A was the best part of that game. I'm pretty impressed to be honest.

Having said all that, there are issues here. Bioware have really fudged their demo up. The connection issues are to be expected and are par for the course with release. A million people pre-ordered and then they were given 3 codes to give to friends. Connection problems are expected and understandable, even with the knowledge that their reconnectiong code basically caused them to DDOS themselves.

What ISNT acceptable is that loading screen bug. Literally half the time you load a mission, it gets stuck at 95% done and just hangs. Loading into a mission or out of one. Meaning you can spend 30 minutes doing a mission, complete it, then crash and lose all progress, xp, and loot you got.

This isn't a UI problem or graphical bug. This is game breaking stuff and a AAA studio shouldn't be releasing a demo people have paid for in a state like this. There are a ton of people who weren't able to play this weekend and those who were ended up frustrated by crashes and load screens.

They've shot themselves in the foot big time. The game didn't need the bad press.....It already has EA stigma on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

Watched a good bit of the this. It's just so generic looking. EA need fresh ideas and a different approach but they are still burried in the live services and it's leading to repetition in design.

I doubt games like destiny or the division need worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Flashdan

I loved this game. I like MMO's and I like looter and normal shooters. I'm playing this on PC and the highest settings and it looks amazing btw.

I think the main thing about this compared to destiny is that where as destiny focuses on mainly what you do with your gun 80% of the time and 20% abilities, Anthem switches it around and lets you combo with other or even yourself if you have the right things equipped. This will lead to much more diversity in how you play your game and having loadouts for whatever you want will be great. Not to mention how you can just change it to be playing and Tank, DPS, Mage or a balance of the 3 without having to re level is really amazing. For a loot driven game to need ways to keep it fresh when you have to do the things over and over for a drop.

Yeah there are a lot of things wrong like the 95% bug is just inexcusable and crashes at missions inside the Fort are not a great thing for a game that releases in 3 weeks.

I think that trying to load in to this game on day one would just be crazy, I doubt the servers will be able for it for at least 24 hours. MMO games tend to have bad launches so it would be nothing new.

I imagine if this game flops it will be the end of Bioware and its going to be tough will the Division 2 out on the 15 of March. I think it will come down to the social side, so what your friends are playing and how easy it will be to group up etc. Div 2 will have a global chat (on PC at least)and has the voice chat when you get close or are in a group. I didn't see any of that in Anthem which is a bit worrying.

I think this year will be great for games you have Anthem, Division 2, Cyberpunk, Days Gone, DMC5 and Metro. Lets just enjoy what we have coming up. When I started gaming all I could look forward to was Frogger on the Atari 2600!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

looks fun havent tried it myself, hopefully they fix the issues on pc and add a chat window for typing. The lead Dev seemed open to getting the issues fixed on reddit, The only thing that will keep me buying day 1 is to wait and see how the game actually play when its live in regards to loot and the currency values as everything is a fixed price now in the demo. Would be a sad day to see it flop for biowares sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Kirby wrote: »
    hat ISNT acceptable is that loading screen bug. Literally half the time you load a mission, it gets stuck at 95% done and just hangs. Loading into a mission or out of one. Meaning you can spend 30 minutes doing a mission, complete it, then crash and lose all progress, xp, and loot you got.

FYI, you don't lose the loot and XP when this happens - you'll get it the next time you successfully get the expedition complete screen.

maybe im just crazy old and cynical, everyone seems to love it! guess i cant really get over the fact that bioware dont make bioware games anymore :( that and its too similar to warframe/destiny for me...and the pc bugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

So, for me so far it's an optimistic 'meh'.

Cons:
    - Weak controls, who includes non-toggle mouse acceleration these days (well to be fair quite a few so called aaa devs who apparently just have console-controller monkeys onboard (* EDIT: To be clear it's the lack of effort on M+Kbd that makes the 'monkey' part, not the emphasis on controller).
    - No FOV - (see above, pure ignorance and again shows that the PC version was an afterthought)
    - Linked to this since small FOVs are more suitable for playing at a distance on a TV it's exacerbated by critical bug with Dolby Vision enabled TVs and Nvidia cards. I picked up an LG OLED before Xmas and now game on it near exclusively (with Mouse/Kbd using a Roccat Sova). Start up Anthem, Dolby Vision enabled logo.....black screen that cannot be exited, you have to hard reset the PC.
    - General movement feels clunky and unrealistic, no real weight.
    - Gun play is ok, again it feels more like shooting at sliding paper targets than tangible enemys. As has been said a few times it's very like Mass Effect Andromeda with more mobility, and while it has been correctly pointed out that was one of the best aspects of that game it was not good on a global scale (i.e. ME-A got away with it because it was not primarily a shooter, this should be doing a much better job of it).
    - Voice acting is hit and miss,some characters are great and others completely lackluster ('you' being the worst). I'd put this down to bad audio direction more than the talent since it seems more about mis-delivery than base ability to express.
    - Graphics and performance are again disappointing, there doesn't seem to be much payback for the FPS hits. on 4k I was getting around 40-45 FPS max on ultra, dropped to 1440p and it was fine for most areas but had some slowdowns. All for a game that does not look as good as a number of other titles (even MA-E looked and played better with a solid 60FPs at 4k).
    - Loading takes longer than it should based on map size and hard-load pausing between some areas. 20-30 seconds on a pure SSD system is just ridiculous.

Pros
    - The off-ground movement I think is what may save this. And I include dodging and hovering aswell as pure flight here. When I started to get more used to it the ability to mix effective doging and flight into firefight maneuvres was quite satisfying.

I have EA Access so will be playing this on release. I think based on the demo though if I didn't and had to make the choice to explicitly spend on it I would probably wait for some good reviews of the full product, and even then when it dropped to mid price.

Advertisement