Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Music Entertainment Ireland Ltd & Ors -v- UPC Communications Ireland Ltd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

bealtine wrote: »

Could anybody give us a TL:DR please? I just woke from a coma after reading the first paragraph :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

There is, of course, a strong moral case for saying that in such circumstances it would be only fair that ISPs should bear the cost and burden of assisting the rightsholders in detecting infringing activities.

Just like Audi should compensate banks if their cars are used as getaway vehicles. :rolleyes:

Mr. Willie Kavanagh, the former Chairman of EMI Records in Ireland, gave evidence – which was implicitly accepted by Cregan J. – that at least 50% of that decline can be attributed to the spiralling problem of anonymous internet infringements. There was also evidence – again, at least implicitly accepted by Cregan J. – to the effect that these costs amounted to some 35 cent per customer per annum.

I'd love to see the actual evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Could anybody give us a TL:DR please? I just woke from a coma after reading the first paragraph :p.

There's nothing wrong with forcing UPC to have a 3-strikes system, and making them pay at least 80% of the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Abraham Gigantic Lockjaw

What is the point if this. Surely just use a vpn and all good.

Advertisement