Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cruise control will kill you!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

vandriver wrote: »
    I use cruise control in the port tunnel because of the average speed cameras.Other than that one special usage case,i don't see the point of it.

Use CC all the time, Id likely use and get used to ACC, but Im happy enough with CC, have it on a few cars, only if Im driving around locally do I not use it.
    Most straight runs, I usually turn it on.
    2 things I like to have in a car, CC of any description (never drove a car with ACC) and an arm rest (plus as many other features as possible).

Isambard wrote: »
    i use it all the time (or did when I could go out) and don't have a problem. If your brain says you're closing on another vehicle or a hazard, you can switch it out at the touch of a button or just touch the brake pedal. Much the same as your brain would tell you to lift off the throttle .

Likewise, use it a lot, but I prefer not to dab the brakes to cancel/turn off the CC, usually I just cancel it (as you say the same as you take your foot off the accelerator, let the car slow down and reset the new speed with + (- will do the same) or take over more directly, cancelling CC is just a different method to do that.

I dont like when people dab the brakes, so I dont do it myself, as much as possible, I just try set/match my speed.

Personally, I prefer to have as much interaction as possible, I would probably get used to ACC, but I dislike the idea of being involved less in my driving, so I dont mind fiddling with buttons and controls, rather than the car being closer to being on an auto mode, I want to keep the interaction because I prefer it that way and because I think its good to stay in practice and alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I have the older type cruise control on three of my cars and I absolutely hate it.
    I tried it a couple of times years ago and I couldn't relax for a second.
    I honestly don't see the point of it.
    The later versions of it would be handy the very odd time though I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I have the older type cruise control on three of my cars and I absolutely hate it.
    I tried it a couple of times years ago and I couldn't relax for a second.
    I honestly don't see the point of it.
    The later versions of it would be handy the very odd time though I'm sure.

why were you expecting to relax? it's to allow you to take your leg off the accelerator and maintain a steady speed despite inclines etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Main benefit is to remove the cognitive load of maintaining a steady speed, many drivers seem incapable of such a basic task. I find it means I spend more time looking at the road instead of the speedo

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Well then turn off the speed limit detection, it obviously is not good enough to rely on, in fact don't Tesla explicitly state that their system is only a driver aid, not an autonomous system and it is 100% the responsibility of the driver to keep control of the car.

Until there is a fully autonomous system that allows me to sit in the back reading the paper or having a snooze, one that will fully indemnify me from any liability or legal repercussions of any failure of the car to drive itself correctly I have no interest in being in a car that will override my control.

Your (and the op's) posts just highlight the dangerousness of these semi-autonomous systems in causing drivers to abdicate responsibility for their driving and actively promote inattentive behaviour.

Totally agree with this, CC or ACC along with sign recognition does not relieve the driver of needing to pay attention - with the current systems it would be practically impossible to guarantee compliance as it may not see the sign in time for it the system to gradually slow the car and you certainly do not want an autonomous system slamming on the brakes just as you pass a sign.

I have sign recognition in one of our cars and find it hit and miss at times (it doesnt actually change the speed, just warns) but particularly when passing slip roads it can pick the wrong speed which could be very dangerous if it acted on it. There is also a road where it actually picks up the sign for the train track running parallel! So I see it just as an aid or reminder to something you should already be aware of - bit like the seat belt chime :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Your (and the op's) posts just highlight the dangerousness of these semi-autonomous systems in causing drivers to abdicate responsibility for their driving and actively promote inattentive behaviour.

Do you have a problem with normal CC, because that is driving the car for you too? Does CC abdicate responsibility? ACC is an intelligent, safer version of CC, as I said in the first post, like it was meant to be all along.

I get the feeling a lot of people getting worked up about the merits or otherwise of ACC, and getting upset that a driver of a car is more relaxed, have no experience of it. Give it a try and then come back.

There is a good reason that it is becoming mandatory on cars from next year, it makes driving safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Do you have a problem with normal CC, because that is driving the car for you too? Does CC abdicate responsibility? ACC is an intelligent, safer version of CC, as I said in the first post, like it was meant to be all along.

I get the feeling a lot of people getting worked up about the merits or otherwise of ACC, and getting upset that a driver of a car is more relaxed, have no experience of it. Give it a try and then come back.

There is a good reason that it is becoming mandatory on cars from next year, it makes driving safer.

Yes but you have the impression that CC was totally unsafe. It will s not . CC or ACC are just tools to help you with your driving. I use CC on a ten year old car. I find it brilliant. Just like I find ACC brilliant as well if I had it. However it is the inability of a driver to manage either that may cause an accident not that either system.is inherently unsafe

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Yes but you have the impression that CC was totally unsafe. It will s not .

As I said, the title of my post was click baity, of course CC won't kill you.

But when you step back into car with CC after driving with ACC, it does feel like a system well past it sell by date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

As I said, the title of my post was click baity, of course CC won't kill you.

But when you step back into car with CC after driving with ACC, it does feel like a system well past it sell by date.

you should probably get yourself a horse then.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

I have both cruise control and speed limiter on my car and I have never ever used them since I bought the car. Specially driving down m1 with all them lorries and cars flying past you every minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

CC, ACC, Lane assist, etc; none of these are driving the car, the supposedly competent person behind the wheel is the only thing driving, these are technical additions that alter the manner in which the driver controls the vehicle. If you find having or not having these is a problem then it is you that is at fault for not being familiar with how they work and adapting your driving to suit.

Thanks, but as an experienced professional driver I don't think I'll be taking trite driving advice from someone who needs 21st century nanny driver aids to feel relaxed behind the wheel.

Being able to adjust to using CC, ACC, speed limiters, none of the above, manual, auto, semi-auto, split boxes, crash boxes, FWD, RWD, 4WD, and any other differences, quirks or issues a particular vehicle has is a basic driving skill, if something is new or different then learning about it before you go tearing off down the road is advisable.

That remains to be seen, even if it does it will be a safety net for piss poor drivers who cannot properly control their car or read the road well enough to avoid slamming into the back of a slow or stationary vehicle.

FrankC21 wrote: »
    I have both cruise control and speed limiter on my car and I have never ever used them since I bought the car. Specially driving down m1 with all them lorries and cars flying past you every minute.

If cars and particularly lorries (which are limited to 90kph) are flying past you on a motorway then you are driving too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

If cars and particularly lorries (which are limited to 90kph) are flying past you on a motorway then you are driving too slow.

sense the smilie....

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

I am not, you misinterpreted what trying to say, what i meant was plenty of lorries to overtake then out of nowhere you get cars tail gating you, then CC or speed limiter will be pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I am not, you misinterpreted what trying to say, what i meant was plenty of lorries to overtake then out of nowhere you get cars tail gating you, then CC or speed limiter will be pointless.

ah light dawns. I guess CC isn't designed for traffic like that.

What happens if you have ACC engaged and someone fills the gap in front of you.? I'm hoping it warns you rather than slamming on the brakes....

You worded it poorly then, I responded to what you said.

I would say that in those situations CC/limiter is a benefit, especially if you feel intimidated by tailgaters as using CC prevents you being bullied into driving faster than you want.

Crawling past a truck at 1kph faster is a bit stupid but there is nothing wrong in general with holding your speed, as long as you pull in following the overtake those behind that wish to go faster can wait until you have completed the pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Isambard wrote: »
    ah light dawns. I guess CC isn't designed for traffic like that.

What happens if you have ACC engaged and someone fills the gap in front of you.? I'm hoping it warns you rather than slamming on the brakes....

I presume that ACC is like CC and if a drive cuts in front of you that your own braking action takes control of the car. If it happened when you were distracted then ACC is an advantage from a safety point of view

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I presume that ACC is like CC and if a drive cuts in front of you that your own braking action takes control of the car. If it happened when you were distracted then ACC is an advantage from a safety point of view

Shouldn't be using CC in traffic.

.. Never mind distracted...

Shouldn't be using CC in traffic. If you are overtaking a line of anything it's traffic.

This thread reminds me of this...

https://youtu.be/IfY49zx7RU0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I drive a car with adaptive cc and I do a lot of motorway driving. Find it one of the best ‘extras’ on the car and would be lost without it in a new car. The only thing annoying about it is when you’re doing say 100kph and you come up behind someone as they are about to exit left off the motorway, unless they enter into the slip lane promptly, ACC slows down because it can’t determine fast enough that the car has/is exiting the motorway. I refer to drivers who start to slow down at the beginning of a 500m slip road whilst still half way out in the motorway and my outside lane is blocked for overtaking.

Advertisement