Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scratches on new car from dealer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    That think looks like it was washed with a bucket of rocks and a brillo pad!
    Even a sponge wash weekly for the age of the car would hardly do that?

Badly prepared in the first place and I think Skoda paint has gone very soft in the last few years, well in the case of my Superb anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

screamer wrote: »
    Being honest, there’s no way you should accept that. If you didn’t see the car before buying, the distance selling rules may apply and in which case there’s a cooling off period. I’d not accept a touch up job or polish jobbthats going to make the car harder to maintain, which will also reduce the value of the car when you go to sell it on. If it were me, I’d seriously look at returning the car and getting my money refunded.

A proper paint correction is not a cover up job that will need repeated work or make the cars paint harder to maintain, it will be easier to look after if anything. Some very particular owners tell dealers not to touch their new cars paint and take the car straight to detailer.

mickdw wrote: »
    A proper paint correction is not a cover up job that will need repeated work or make the cars paint harder to maintain, it will be easier to look after if anything. Some very particular owners tell dealers not to touch their new cars paint and take the car straight to detailer.

I'm sorry I didn't do that myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OP, you bought a second hand car. This is normal when not washed properly and more noticeable on dark coloured cars.
    No harm going back to the dealer, you may appeal to their good nature and reputation.

But, this is a simple Machine Polish fix.

A simple one step correct may even fix this. DA Polisher and Rupes Uno Protect, or ADBL AIO, or Zvivver One, there are many that will do this. Always start at the least intrusive measure.

If you go to a "Pro", then there are a few options available to you. A wash, de-contamination and machine polish could be €300ish depending on who you use. The De-Con has to be done as you don't want any contaminants on the paint surface when your polishing.

You can get a coating applied at the same time, but costs will go up towards the €750 mark, especially with a ceramic or similar but they will give you 2 years of protection or more depending on which coating you choose.

And the final But, when you get this sorted, you have to wash it properly going forward. No car wash machines, generally no hand wash places where they use the brush etc You need to wash properly with some care or you can go back to the detailer as they will carry out maintenance washes. May be a little more expensive than doing it yourself.

Where are you based?

screamer wrote: »
    Being honest, there’s no way you should accept that. If you didn’t see the car before buying, the distance selling rules may apply and in which case there’s a cooling off period. I’d not accept a touch up job or polish jobbthats going to make the car harder to maintain, which will also reduce the value of the car when you go to sell it on. If it were me, I’d seriously look at returning the car and getting my money refunded.

I guarantee your car has the same swirls on it. I guarantee it based on this comment.

You cant return a second hand car after this time. A Machine polish will enhance the car, not reduce its value and it doesn't mask any swirls, it removes them back to abetter than factory finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Based in Tallaght, so I'd be looking around South/West Dublin.

As someone mentioned above, the Skoda paint seems to be a little soft so I think I'd like to get it sorted with some protection.

On the last car, the place I went to used a power washer and went over it with a cloth. Whats considered safe for a car wash?

The_B_Man wrote: »

As someone mentioned above, the Skoda paint seems to be a little soft so I think I'd like to get it sorted with some protection.

On the last car, the place I went to used a power washer and went over it with a cloth. Whats considered safe for a car wash?

Mitt dunked in a bucket to remove grit after each panel.
    Not a wash that the guy uses the same mitt for the whole car, finishes on your wheels and then goes straight to the car after you!

Ceramic Pro is in South Dublin - https://ceramicpro.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Demo models that are actually used for demonstrations are usually kept immaculately.
    This one wasn’t, and it’s not an acceptable condition for a nearly new car.
    My car (same make as OP) is 5 years old and doesn’t have that sort of scratching.

Demo models are driven by Sales staff home and back everyday. Not all 'demo models' sit on the lot waiting on a customer to come in. These are used vehicles albeit new used.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

listermint wrote: »
    Demo models are driven by Sales staff home and back everyday. Not all 'demo models' sit on the lot waiting on a customer to come in. These are used vehicles albeit new used.

The biggest problem is courtesy and hire cars being called demos. Actual demos are used for demos/test drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

Mx Tint in Tallaght would sort it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

http://advaleting.ie/

Used these guys extensively in my old job, and they've worked miracles on some cars in really sorry condition. Didn't realise they'd moved from the Long Mile Road to Greenhills

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I would be nervous about giving the car back to them, they may improve it but they will be using a polish with loads of fillers to hide any damage.

Tom below does great work, and is very fairly priced for the quality of work and will come to you. Those swirls will be 100% removed.

https://www.premiercarcare.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Unless you plan on meticulously washing your car for the rest of its life, don’t waste your money.

They’re swirl marks, they’re more visible on greys black blues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

looks like a spirit skoda sandyford wash job .

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

B***h slap the dealer and tell him put some ceramic coating on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

L-M wrote: »
    Unless you plan on meticulously washing your car for the rest of its life, don’t waste your money.

They’re swirl marks, they’re more visible on greys black blues.

Would ye sell out a demo in that condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

With swirl marks? I’d say new cars have left the same.

L-M wrote: »
    With swirl marks? I’d say new cars have left the same.

I can confirm that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

It just reminds me of your man on here who wanted his neighbour to pay for paint correction after the cat sat on his car. If you are into detailing then your car would be corrected anyway and this stuff would come out while just doing a normal new car correction

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ye I'll have to just go get a paint correction in one of the nearby garages.

I noticed the front left alloy has a couple of scratches on it, as if the dealer scraped a kerb. I'd say it would be mad expensive to fix that so I might have to live with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Was in a Mercedes showroom a while back, saw brand new S-Class awaiting collection, the paintwork already butchered by some Redbull fueled clown with a polishing machine.

Ye I'll have to just go get a paint correction in one of the nearby garages.

I noticed the front left alloy has a couple of scratches on it, as if the dealer scraped a kerb. I'd say it would be mad expensive to fix that so I might have to live with it.

Don't go near a garage you need the services of a proper detailer, they might know someone who'd fix the alloy as well.

Most new cars leave the garage with swirls. They just go unnoticed by the average joe.

Advertisement