Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to PS2 to Modern TVs

• 07-02-2021 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Long time no post. As mentioned in the Get thread, I dug out a load of ps2 discs from the attic and now have a hankering to connect up my chipped ps2 slim again.

I am so out of touch, what is the optimum way to connect a ps2 to a modern tv with only hdmi ports.

My av amp has component and optical in and will push back out via HDMI to my tv. So will try that later when I locate the console itself.

But does that give a true image or a wonky/stretched/ distorted one?

By way of comparison, My brother uses the Kaico open source scan converter but is that necessary/overkill for the ps2 era
    That can display at 480i/p.

Any advice welcome as I've long forgotten all this stuff.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anything pre digital is going to benefit immensely by using one of those OSSC scan converters.

No matter what you connect up, something is going to have to upscale the image to a modern display. Using the TVs inbuilt scaler will probably give you horrible results, so yeah you're really better off getting an OSSC at very least to get any kind of good experience from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks. The amp itself will do the upscaling. Seems to have a few different settings including the display output from 480 to 4k.

The amp is a high enough spec one so I'm hoping there is some sort of sweet spot with the upscaling and setting but appreciate an ossc will get best results

Not sure how well the Kaico ossc is rated but the results of my brothers and his ps2 on his 55 inch oled looked pretty sweet to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Danick

A mate of mine bought be a HD retro vision component cable - it came from the states - I have it plugged into my Yamaha receiver and hdmi up scaling out to TV - I’m delighted with it

I hooked up my ps2 slim to my av pioneer amp with an amittedly cheap component cable, amp outputs over hdmi then. Got no image. Amp wasn't detecting any input even.

Also tried changing the connection setting in the ps2 browser settings blind. No joy
    However when I put a game disc in and got past the ps2 boot logo, signal kicked in and I got picture. Amp gave me a choice of upscaling resolution from Pure which I presume is 480i all the way to 4k.
    4k doesn't look too shabby at all but appreciate it is no ossc.

Any takers on why I got image with games and not on the home browser boot screen. I thought the browser was 480i resolution same as the games for example.

I really want to load games over Ethernet which is why getting the home screen visible is important.

Have a Free McBoot memory card. Also ordered a Kaico hdmi dongle so I can hopefully connect direct to the tv and rule out the amp and finally see the Free McBoot menu.

Master of the Universe

When you did the blind test did you make sure there were no memory cards or game in the ps2?

Might just need to change it to Y/Pb/Pr in the video menu, it could still be on RGB.

I think the menu and DVD displays in RGB with sync on green but games don't. I remember ages ago I had a similar issue in that the menus and DVDs would be in green but the games played fine.

• Advertisement

Thanks Oisin. Yeah, I tried changing the component/rgb setting but have to do it blind obviously. Found instructions no how to do it.

Master of the Universe

My thought was that it was currently on RGB, but the menus/dvds were in RGsB. (Sync on green, which is a Sony thing)

So your receiver is registering RGB for games, but it can't process RGsB, which is what the menus and dvd display in.

A good test might be to chuck in a DVD and see if anything comes up on screen. If not then the above should be the cause and your receiver can't process RGsB.

Thank Oisin. Yeah. Probably an amp side issue so I decided to draw a line under it and change tack while I wait for the hdmi dongle.

By holding Start during boot with Free McBoot I can get to its settings screen which was visible. From there I could map an app to the shoulder buttons to load when held while booting.

Bingo. Got to the OPL screen and with a little bit of Network share and static ip f**kery we're golden.

P.S. I know I can't play Time Crisis with a lightgun on OLED!

PXL-20210214-002604855.jpg

PXL-20210214-002700321.jpg

PXL-20210214-003149311.jpg

Master of the Universe

Really taken aback at how well both those images look - How is it in motion?

Only got the folder share up and running late last night so not much testing past the Start Screens.

Static images do seem good but when it gets to movement the upscaler seems a bit behind the action. The image nice and crisp for a second then a period of jaggies.

Not sure if these images show the lack of clarity properly but it's poor enough.

PXL-20210214-160208206.jpg

PXL-20210214-160526250-MP.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks like the upscaler isn't the best.

I've a hard time getting the PS2 to look good. The framemeister as standard looks really bad so I'll have to go back and mess around with the setting recommendations people give.

Did you try the TV in game mode? could be the tv's upscaler?

So I got the Kaico hdmi dongle in the post today. That allowed me to hook up directly to the tv and remove the amp from the equation. The dongle says it works on all ps2s.

Interestingly, no image or audio for the browser or boot screen using the hdmi dongle and hdmi cable.
    But when I put a game disc in, I get audio and sound no problem.

Exact same results as using a component cable through the amp and outputting over hdmi back to the tv.

So this would point to more of a problem on my ps2 slim side.

I will email Kaico and see do they have any thoughts.

The only other thing playing in the back of my mind is I vaguely recall there being some issue with the console and/or modchip when it went into the attic all those years ago. Can't remember what though but I wonder is the modchip interfering in some way.

Given how easy it is nowadays to softmod a ps2 with a free mcboot memory card, I might just pick up another console.

Master of the Universe

I do still think it's a sync on green problem, your monitor doesn't seem to support it.

So when it's in a menu it's sending sync over green, nothing happens, as soon as you start a game, sync comes off green and it works.

Do you have another tv you could try?

Thanks Oisin. I was ruling out the tv/amp from today as the blurb for the hdmi dongle says it works on any ps2 (phat or slim) and and tv with a hdmi input.

I would have thought that whatever basic circuitry is in the dongle it should overcome a sync on green situation if every ps2 is the same!

At least games load so not all is not lost but doing stuff blind is a dose.

Master of the Universe

Is this what you have?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDMI-Cable-Sony-Playstation-Models/dp/B083RY5NZH

Fairly sure you get sync on green only for YPbPr component with the PS2.

If you change the video out on the PS2 to RGB rather than component, your Kaico looks to support that too. Might solve your issue.

Be doing it blind though unfortunately! (So another TV would be needed to be sure you've gotten into the right menu)

I have this one.

https://kaicolabs.com/product/playstation-ps2-hdmi-pass-through-adaptor/

Manual says to only select component. Selecting rgb means blank screen.

The one you linked to covers both component and rgb being set in the settings so you'll always get an image.

In my case,if it is set to what I think is rgb, then I get a permanent no image.
    Changing to what I think is component in the settings and I get image on games but not the browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. Are the Aliexpress adapters any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Like the PS2-to-HDMI ones? I’ve not had the best experience, shelf life was quite short.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Yes sorry I should have been clearer. What would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Not at all, wasn't sure if you were talking about one of the super fancy ones like the lads above. I've been using the Hyperkin ones, which have served me well the last while.

https://www.hyperkin.com/hdtv-cable-for-ps2-ps1-hyperkin.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement