Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rural Alliance suggest 4g interim fix

Options
  • 03-05-2016 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭

Rural Alliance member Denis Naughten TD suggests major expansion of 4g network to make up for delay in NBP.

Talking on Morning Ireland

http://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_20980555_48_03-05-2016_

(it's at about 3.30 in the item.)

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

clohamon wrote: »
    Rural Alliance member Denis Naughten TD suggests major expansion of 4g network to make up for delay in NBP.

Talking on Morning Ireland

http://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_20980555_48_03-05-2016_

(it's at about 3.30 in the item.)

Oh, FFS. If that gets into the I-can't-believe-it's-not-a-program-for-government, I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭clohamon

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Oh, FFS. If that gets into the I-can't-believe-it's-not-a-program-for-government, I give up.

about two years ago it was Plan "A".

Text references from
    https://thestory.ie/2016/05/05/fine-gaelindependent-partnership-document/
    "We will also provide additional exchequer capital, if needed, to deliver on our commitment to bring next generation broadband to every house and business in the country by 2020."
    "Following the the mid-term review of the Capital Plan which is expected mid-2017, we will increase capital investmnt in transport, broadband, education, health and flood defences."
    3. Protecting Local Services
    A) Next-generation Broadband
    One of the biggest challenges facing rural Ireland is to bridge the digital divide with urban areas. To remedy this situation for at least the next 25 years, we will guarantee the delivery of next-generation broadband to every household and business in the country. No town, village or parish will be left behind under the National Broadband Plan. Once the contract is awarded the rollout phase will begin immediately and, in conjunction with commercial investment, 85% of premises in Ireland will have access to high speed broadband within two years, with 100% access as soon as possible up to at most 5 years.

The tender process for the National Broadband Plan is currently underway and will influence the contract's term s and conditions. Following the com pletion of the tender process and the law regarding of the contract, targeted for June 2017, the new Government will work with the winners to accelerate the roll out of the infrastructure build starting this year. We will work with local Councils to establish broadband taskforces to help facilitate the local rollout of commercial and National Broadband Plan infrastructure in each county area. The relevant Cabinet Committee will be updated regularly on the progress on the National Broadband Plan.

To manage that process and to manage all the State's commercial communications contracts, we will consolidate these responsibilities into a single entity. This will act as a centre of expertise for managing all the State's commercial activities in communications such as the NRA fibre ducts, the MANs network and masts on OPW lands, as well as the ultimate National Broadband Plan contract.

B) Mobile Phone & 4G Coverage
    We will establish a mobile phone and 4G taskforce involving the Department of Communications, the Departm ent of Environment, the Departm ent of Transport, ComReg and the telecommunications industry to investigate how to provide better services for consumers including what State assets could be utilised.

oscarBravo wrote: »

...and as luck would have it, the new Minister is...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I think I'm going to cry. :(

• Advertisement

http://www.merrionstreet.ie/MerrionStreet/en/ImageLibrary/Programme_for_Partnership_Government.pdf
    B) Mobile Phone & Broadband
    Within 100 days, we will establish a mobile phone and broadband taskforce to provide immediate solutions to the broadband/phone coverage deficit, involving the Department of Communications, the Department of Environment, the Department of Transport, ComReg, the telecommunications industry and consumers, to investigate how to provide better services for consumers including better use of State assets.

Three government departments, ComReg, Industry and Joe Public.

This one's going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I'd be happy with ADSL2 for the interim but there's no plans to roll this out to older/small exchanges. Using midband dongle since 1am (no dsl light i.e twig holding up copper wire no doubt snapped)

Minister reckons taskforce will meet in July.
    As committed to in the programme for Government, I am establishing a mobile phone and broadband task force to identify and recommend solutions to the broadband and mobile phone coverage deficit. The group will meet for the first time this month and will report to me by the end of the year on the actions we are taking.

Interesting to see if there are any non-industry people included who are not on the government payroll in some way. They would need the following skill-set:
    • Ability to make unctuous noises about the current Government/Minister.
    • Lack of knowledge of the communications sector.
    • Ability to bang on at length with hackneyed metaphors.
    • Willingness to let departmental officials ‘guide’ the proceedings.
    • Willingness to appoint some establishment toad as chairman.
    • Willingness to self-mute for the period of the taskforce.
    • Willingness to believe important work is being done in the public interest.
    • Willingness to diligently fill out expenses claims.
    • Willingness to sign a meaningless report.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

If it takes 6+ months to come up with a report on what to do as an interim measure, why bother? Why not concentrate on the primary solution.

Representation on the Taskforce from the public or consumers seems to have been dropped.
    The task force will involve a number of Departments and agencies, as well as engagement with ComReg and telecommunications operators. I encourage members who have suggestions to submit them to me. I have received some very useful submissions and contributions from Members of this House. Measures arising from the task force will be implemented by the Government as a matter of priority.

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2016071400027?opendocument

• Advertisement

Taskforce Members
    The Membership of the Taskforce is as follows:

The Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment
    The Department of Arts, Heritage, Rural, Regional and Gaeltacht Affairs
    The Department of Housing and Local Government
    The Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport
    The Office of Public Works
    NewERA
    Transport Infrastructure Ireland
    Teagasc
    Trinity College CCTV (Telecommunications Research Centre)
    The City and Council Managers Association (CCMA)
    Irish Rural Link
    The Irish Country Women's Association
    Business Representatives based in rural Ireland
    The National Competition and Consumer Protection Commission
    An Independent Planning Adviser
    The Commission for Communications Regulation is participating on the Taskforce as an observer in order to provide advice and guidance in its capacity as the independent Telecommunications Regulator.
    http://www.dccae.gov.ie/news-and-media/en-ie/Pages/PressRelease/Ministers-Co-chair-first-meeting-of-Mobile-Phone-and-Broadband-Taskforce.aspx#

Advertisement