Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SUV boot camping

• 22-02-2021 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

Hi all - hopefully this is in the right place...

I am looking at purchasing an SUV mostly with the intention of doing overnight trips or weekend trips and sleeping in the back for a night or two. Maybe some commuting to work in bad weather too.

I have narrowed it down to either a Nissan Pathfinder or a Nissan Qashqai +2.

The Pathfinder because, well it's a beast and because the back compartment feels like a space that you could be comfortable in for a night or two. But, it's a 2.5 so the tax is around €1,080 and whatever the diesel costs will be - I'm not sure. And are parts/servicing expensive too?

On the other hand, the Qashqai is only a 1.5 so the tax is €700 cheaper and presumably the diesel costs will be too so it seems like the most economic choice. But it doesn't have that "camper" feel if that makes sense. You very much feel like you're sleeping in the back of a car.

I think I am asking for general opinions and information on whether the Qashqai makes so much more financial sense that it's a no-brainer (money is not unlimited) or whether the savings actually are not as big as you'd think and so perhaps the Pathfinder would be worth it.

If it's not obvious already, I would like the Pathfinder in general but am concerned about costs!

Any advice welcome, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

If a pathfinder is a concern regarding costs i would personally forget it tbh. What about an xtrail - below path finder and above Qashgai. I have had Q+2 and it was lovely to drive and big boot, and relatively cheap to service and cheap to tax. the Xtrail is bigger but similar to run and tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

My thought process was that if I was going to go for an X trail or similar (i.e. around a 2 litre) then I might as well just go for the pathfinder.

Considering the Qashqai +2 was just because it's really the only SUV I've found that has the room in the back and is under 2 litres.

but when I run a fuel calculation through the AA website from Dublin to Galway for an example the pathfinder is really only a fiver dearer one way! So I suppose, apart from the €800 tax a year - is it more or less much of a muchness. Is the fuel so much different on a 1.5 to a 2.5. I know it will be more expensive but it doesn't actually seem all that much.

Anyone have any horror stories owning a Pathfinder? (Perhaps this is more suited to the Motors forum?)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Just make sure the floor area is flat (Qashqai).
    Nothing worse than trying to sleep on a floor that's not level. Also, the windows are a pain in the morning time if they're not blacked out.
    I've been using my Renault Megane Estate for years but it's not ideal.
    That's why I've recently bought a van - flat floor area and no windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you could get one I'd look at a Subaru Forester, large estate, plenty of space 4wd and good MPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Even a Legacy would be a good bet. Smaller than the forester, but if that's an issue, fit a solid shell roof tent.

It's flat and decently roomy (I have one). Reliable boxer engine, and can, ground clearance permitting, go anywhere.

I had a notion of using a Legacy estate, fitting a roof tent, custom awning out the back boot, taking out the passenger seat to fit a toilet, and going _everywhere_ in it.

Just make sure the floor area is flat (Qashqai).
    Nothing worse than trying to sleep on a floor that's not level. Also, the windows are a pain in the morning time if they're not blacked out.
    I've been using my Renault Megane Estate for years but it's not ideal.
    That's why I've recently bought a van - flat floor area and no windows.

The floor is almost level but I have a carpenter pal who will fit a low platform with a bit of space for drawers underneath (but that takes away some roof clearance for sitting up so it will be a delicate balance).

It's a good point about the windows, I'm trying to get the shaded windows and you can also get privacy screens which would also help. A big draw is the huge sunroof for sleeping under the stars but that idea is probably more romantic than the reality of being blinded by the sun at 7am!
    PhilipJ wrote: »

Thanks for these. They seem to almost double the MPG for the Qasqai but the AA road planner doesn't seem to have the fuel costs as double for some reason.

I also found a website called "Carculator" which seems to suggest that, apart from the tax, the costs aren't too different. I'm tempted to get the Pathfinder for a year or two anyway and see how it goes! I'm really torn though.
    If you could get one I'd look at a Subaru Forester, large estate, plenty of space 4wd and good MPG

Had a look there thanks. Not sure I'd fit, I think you only really fit in the 7 seaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

NoQuarter wrote: »
    A big draw is the huge sunroof for sleeping under the stars but that idea is probably more romantic than the reality of being blinded by the sun at 7am!

Never mind the sun at 7am (when you should be getting up anyway :pac: ) - it's the full moon you'll be cursing when it lights up the whole interior brighter than your low energy LEDs!

It's a good point about the windows, I'm trying to get the shaded windows and you can also get privacy screens which would also help. A big draw is the huge sunroof for sleeping under the stars but that idea is probably more romantic than the reality of being blinded by the sun at 7am!

I have one of those large car covers (€10 in Lidl/Aldi) that I drape over the car and it blocks out the light. Doesn't quite fit the estate so a towel snagged across the top of the closed boot door covers up the back window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Out of curiosity, why an SUV rather than a van? Do you need to off-road? I'd have thought the likes of a Renault Trafic would be picked up easily and more comfortable for camping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why an SUV rather than a van? Do you need to off-road? I'd have thought the likes of a Renault Trafic would be picked up easily and more comfortable for camping.

thinking the same myself. I'm looking to get a kangoo van or similar and just have a bed and storage in it. should be more than enough for basic camping

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just to throw in a curve ball, wheel chair adapted access cars always struck me an an intriguing way to buy a cheap, low mileage car/van that could readily be converted for camping use.

eg.
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/fiat/doblo/fpa/202006180249510

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/kia/sedona/fpa/202101218203046

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/renault/kangoo/fpa/202007301886870

Lots of space and more headroom than standard which helps a lot for car camping.

I did look at vans for sure, but I'm heading toward middle aged and wanted desperately to cling to some coolness so an SUV is the way I want to go. :P It already pains me that the Qasqai is a family car. Gone are the days when I had an MR2...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I did look at vans for sure, but I'm heading toward middle aged and wanted desperately to cling to some coolness so an SUV is the way I want to go. :P It already pains me that the Qasqai is a family car. Gone are the days when I had an MR2...

If you want coolness buy a land rover defender

Oh they are cool as hell but would be upward of 10k while I could get the other two for half that.

I'm looking to get a kangoo van or similar and just have a bed and storage in it. should be more than enough for basic camping

Unless you're 5' nothing in height, make sure you get a LWB :)

I did look at vans for sure, but I'm heading toward middle aged and wanted desperately to cling to some coolness

Agh ffs, I vaguely remember middle age it was that long ago :D:D
    Comfort trumps cool every time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The original Mazda Demio turned the back seats into a double bed when folded down.
    Small car but that was a neat trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Unless you're 5' nothing in height, make sure you get a LWB :)
    yeah I'm looking for one but not much available in my budget and cant travel to any that i do see cause they are far side of the country.....stupid lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I had a Pathfinder from new and wouldn't recommend. Major gearbox problems, driveshaft failed twice, expensive for tyres (minimum of 1000 for four tyres because they're not a common size), road tax was over 1000 per year too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Just to throw in a curve ball, wheel chair adapted access cars always struck me an an intriguing way to buy a cheap, low mileage car/van that could readily be converted for camping use.

eg.
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/fiat/doblo/fpa/202006180249510

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/kia/sedona/fpa/202101218203046

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/renault/kangoo/fpa/202007301886870

Lots of space and more headroom than standard which helps a lot for car camping.

I've looked at a lot like those but was worried about the NCT. If you took out the ramp would it fail? Is it hard to get the ramp out? You'd have to put something down to flatten the floor. Would be great if it could work. I'm looking for something like that, or an MPV that all backseats can be taken out on for camping, but then put back in for the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Literally scores of videos on YouTube of Honda CRV campers. I've a series 2.5 diesel and yes, it's €994tax pa, but with the right tyres (BFG KO2) and roof rack, they're a great machine.
    If you're into offroading, a CRV I, II or III will take more than most are willing to take on. They've no diff lock, granted, and that's where a similar era X Trail wins hands down but a CRV simply doesn't break down. Mine is 2006, diesel, only a mere 220k miles on it and is used for camping, towing, load carrying, light off-road, daily motorway at 65-75 on BFG Urban Terrains. It's one of those vehicles, like a Subaru Forester, that you can't change because it won't die. Even moreso than a Subaru.
    I used to use a Xantia for similar. On that subject, why not get yourself an old estate 2.0T Volvo or a C5 that's well maintained?

A pathfinder is a big heavy unreliable and costly machine. Get a lighter more capable SUV if you intend to do any greenlaning or light off-road. An X Trail is as good all rounder as it gets but I still prefer a CRV (older ones only) due to all round ability but great everyday car also and utterly reliable.
    Anyway, plenty of tricked out CRV campers on YT. Best of luck.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Literally scores of videos on YouTube of Honda CRV campers. I've a series 2.5 diesel and yes, it's €994tax pa, but with the right tyres (BFG KO2) and roof rack, they're a great machine.
    If you're into offroading, a CRV I, II or III will take more than most are willing to take on. They've no diff lock, granted, and that's where a similar era X Trail wins hands down but a CRV simply doesn't break down. Mine is 2006, diesel, only a mere 220k miles on it and is used for camping, towing, load carrying, light off-road, daily motorway at 65-75 on BFG Urban Terrains. It's one of those vehicles, like a Subaru Forester, that you can't change because it won't die. Even moreso than a Subaru.
    I used to use a Xantia for similar. On that subject, why not get yourself an old estate 2.0T Volvo or a C5 that's well maintained?

A pathfinder is a big heavy unreliable and costly machine. Get a lighter more capable SUV if you intend to do any greenlaning or light off-road. An X Trail is as good all rounder as it gets but I still prefer a CRV (older ones only) due to all round ability but great everyday car also and utterly reliable.
    Anyway, plenty of tricked out CRV campers on YT. Best of luck.

Thanks, very convincing post indeed. I'll take a second look at the CRV and XTrail!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Thanks, very convincing post indeed. I'll take a second look at the CRV and XTrail!

I had an 06 X trail. Bought it for 2k and it was bomb proof. Lovely long flat floor too for sleeping. Mine was only 2 wd so no off roading, but pulling up at beaches etc was fine.

Using my Santa Fe this summer and thinking about starting tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

In case anyone is interested, my partner will be putting her 06 Caravelle SWB 1.9TDi up for sale in the next few days. Rear seats fold down into a very passable double bed. Brilliant car for versatility - 7 seats, incl 2 captains' seats (180degree swivel) and a small table in the back. 347k kms. NCT till Dec21, tax till end of Mar 21. I'm really going to miss that car.

PM me for more info.

Edit: that didn't last long; deal agreed today. Didn't even get to advertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Volkswagen Caddy with body styling and big wheels? Practical flat floor in the rear for building. Reasonable head room if sitting.

Car derived van (Caddy, Berlingo, Kangoo) would make more sense, and still be useful for work commute or whatever else you need.

I've all but decided on the Qashqai +2 - because I fit in it easily lying down but mostly because it's a 1.5 and reasonably reliable and I know come tax-time I'll be happy with only paying around €300 for the year. What I don't like is that you really do get the "sleeping in the back of a car" vibe but I'm hoping with some privacy screens and a bit of imagination I can make that better. They are nice enough to look at too.

Still keeping my eye on Xtrails and CRVs though, just incase!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I've all but decided on the Qashqai +2 - because I fit in it easily lying down but mostly because it's a 1.5 and reasonably reliable and I know come tax-time I'll be happy with only paying around €300 for the year. What I don't like is that you really do get the "sleeping in the back of a car" vibe but I'm hoping with some privacy screens and a bit of imagination I can make that better. They are nice enough to look at too.

Still keeping my eye on Xtrails and CRVs though, just incase!

I've slept in a 205XRAD in my day, in fact 3 or 4 of us did (2 sleeping in the front seats that didn't recline, 2 in the back. All sleeping off a feed of beer before hitting the road, outside a Garda station in Maynooth, after a re-union. Ah God be with the simple 90s :D )
    A Qashqai +2 will be luxury in comparison. Best of luck Op. Get yourself sorted with 2 large plastic boxes, one for your cooking gear and one for your food, and you're laughing. Good cooler also and a 20L water container with a tap.
    The young ones will be lining up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭jamesd

I think you should be looking at a van or maybe one of those ex wheel chair cars, what comfort would you have sleeping in a qashqai, we have a qashqai and there is next to no room in them, low roof so not comfortable at all.

• Advertisement

jamesd wrote: »
    I think you should be looking at a van or maybe one of those ex wheel chair cars, what comfort would you have sleeping in a qashqai, we have a qashqai and there is next to no room in them, low roof so not comfortable at all.

It's the Qashqai +2 (the 7 seater version). It was roomy enough in the back but, of course, just to sit down or lie down in. I think the way to look at it is "posh camping". :P

Advertisement