Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

• 16-06-2020 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭

Old thread has reached 10k posts...

Here's part 2 ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭hooch-85

It must be a sign that a BMW driver is the first poster in the MK7 and MK8 thread;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

hooch-85 wrote: »
    It must be a sign that a BMW driver is the first poster in the MK7 and MK8 thread;)

Lol he’ll be back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Cupra owners excluded again?! :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Aaaah...love that ‘new thread’ smell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

I’ve no Golf for over w year now, this thread is like remembering an old flame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

Volkswizard 42 minute mark 8 review ..
    https://youtu.be/fYcMJUfIf-g

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Not golf related but figured this thread might be where the knowledge on the issue may be. We have a ****cough cough seat cough Alhambra ahem cough cough***" in the house. Great at what it does in fairness. Anyway, the head unit lately has had a mind of its own. It used to think we were touching it, and today it's completely unresponsive with the only thing working on it being the volume control and on/off button. The car is a 162 and has android auto/car play support so might be a mib2 unit but not sure. Anyway, car is in for service next week and they said they'd take a look but reminded me car is out of warranty...

Any idea how good Seat are with good will? Car is an import from main seat dealer and has full main dealer history, even though on 30k miles on it.

Any other things I could try for a diy fix? IV reset it a number of times and that used to temp fix it but no go at all today.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Hi folks new to the GTI search and stumbled upon this, which to me seems very good value with very low mileage. The only dodgy thing I can spot simply from the photographs is that the "I" from GTI is missing from the drivers door wing. Anyone have any thoughts on it or any dealings with the garage?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-vw-golf-gti/25086657

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Not golf related but figured this thread might be where the knowledge on the issue may be. We have a ****cough cough seat cough Alhambra ahem cough cough***" in the house. Great at what it does in fairness. Anyway, the head unit lately has had a mind of its own. It used to think we were touching it, and today it's completely unresponsive with the only thing working on it being the volume control and on/off button. The car is a 162 and has android auto/car play support so might be a mib2 unit but not sure. Anyway, car is in for service next week and they said they'd take a look but reminded me car is out of warranty...

Any idea how good Seat are with good will? Car is an import from main seat dealer and has full main dealer history, even though on 30k miles on it.

Any other things I could try for a diy fix? IV reset it a number of times and that used to temp fix it but no go at all today.

Cheers

It's a popular-ish issue. There is a software update for it in most cases. Rebooting the unit etc wont help.

Zero percent chance of Seat covering it but if you are going back to the dealer you bought it from, they might.

Shouldn't be expensive even if you had to cover it, an hours labour max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Hi folks new to the GTI search and stumbled upon this, which to me seems very good value with very low mileage. The only dodgy thing I can spot simply from the photographs is that the "I" from GTI is missing from the drivers door wing. Anyone have any thoughts on it or any dealings with the garage?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-vw-golf-gti/25086657

18k for a low mileage 2016 seems suspiciously cheap to me. Might be worth doing a UK history check

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Looks like a really high spec clean Mk7.5 only real extra it’s missing is the pan roof but has leather, keyless along with PP and tech pack, upgraded alloys and discovery pro radio.

I know it’s a late 172 but does seem like very strong money for a private sale.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-gti-mk-7-5-performance-245/25096338

CIP4 wrote: »
    Looks like a really high spec clean Mk7.5 only real extra it’s missing is the pan roof but has leather, keyless along with PP and tech pack, upgraded alloys and discovery pro radio.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-gti-mk-7-5-performance-245/25096338

It has Dynaudio too

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Took the plunge today and purchased a Cupra! Bit of a step up from the FR that I had. Wasn’t sure about it in black at first but it does look very sleek I think. I’ll be a nervous wreck for a while especially with the alloys and scuffing them. But looking forward to breaking her in over the summer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

That’s lovely, well wear!

Is it AWD? DSG or manual?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's a lovely looking car, that design has really aged well. Was that the one McCoy's were selling? I'll admit I've bit of a want for one of those, they seem draw a lot less of the wrong type of attention over a Golf R.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭hooch-85

JoeA3 wrote: »
    That’s lovely, well wear!

Is it AWD? DSG or manual?
    The 4 drive model is estate only.

Very nice car OP, well wear. Looks the the demo McCoy's had alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Thanks guys! Yep got it from McCoys- had been looking at the demos for ages so finally bit the bullet. Never had a DSG before so I’ll have to see which I prefer.

Thanks guys! Yep got it from McCoys- had been looking at the demos for ages so finally bit the bullet. Never had a DSG before so I’ll have to see which I prefer.

High Five, black Cupra twin!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Took the plunge today and purchased a Cupra! Bit of a step up from the FR that I had. Wasn’t sure about it in black at first but it does look very sleek I think. I’ll be a nervous wreck for a while especially with the alloys and scuffing them. But looking forward to breaking her in over the summer!!

Congratulations, it's a super motor. Must say the Cupra has quietly grown on me over time. Looks great in black and those alloys really suit it. Safe motoring and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

That didn't take long! I said it before, I'm not a fan of black but the Cupra looks savage in it. Really suits with the bronze accents. They're a lovely looking car in person.

Regarding scuffing the alloys, if the Continentals on the car don't have rim protection, the Pilot Sport 4 does. Something to keep in mind when you've burned through the first set :D

• Advertisement

CIP4 wrote: »

Tell him he’s dreaming!

That’s a cracking looking car, looks great in black. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Lovely bus, nice spec too. Really like the copper accents on them too. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭td2008

Congrats, beautiful car, love the wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭garycoyle1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

garycoyle1 wrote: »
    get some better pictures, ditch the screen shots and you have no mention of a service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

garycoyle1 wrote: »

Better pictures and list all the extras. No mention of service history in the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What’s your thoughts on the Mk8? Price is way over the top

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

For anyone who finds the clutch travel too long on their manual GTI, I fitted this adjustable clutch stop yesterday and am very happy with the difference it makes.

As I no longer need as much leg travel when changing gears, it has enabled me to change my driving position to be a little more stretched out and less upright, which I prefer. The clutch action feels more precise now too as it stops that bit sooner. Definitely recommend it if like me, you feel there's too much dead space between the pedal and the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭theintern

maddness wrote: »
    Tell him he’s dreaming!
    That would be strong money from a dealer with a warranty. Looks like someone is trying to get their money back from all those lovely option boxes they ticked. It does look lovely though.

Advertisement