Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone feel a time comes in your life when you can't absorb anymore?

• 30-07-2020 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

Over quarantine I decided to really catch up on some reading and by catch up I mean actually read, like, for the first time ever. I've read before but would pick up books and fling them after a chapter. Beginning to end was just a bridge too far. I decided I'd make it my duty to actually finish books. However, what I've noticed is that I feel I start reading too late. The books I'm reading would have been excellent books to form my worldview in my 20's, but here I am on the other side of them and just feel while they're enjoyable, I missed the boat. They're great reads and I love just getting lost in the imagination of someone else but I feel the actual imprinting that reading a lot can have on people disappears the older you get.

My favorite quarantine buzz was learning about the World from 1920 onwards. I've always loved history but more the fantastical elements of vikings, greek, romans, normans, visagoths, huns etc but felt it was more because I let my imagination run wild rather than actually any great knowledge of the periods.

Learning about the USSR has been fascinating. I went full Trotskyist for about 12 minutes back in March

Comments

I went full Trotskyist for about 12 minutes back in March

I have an ice to pick at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

At about 6.30 most days, I turn on Judge Judy, my husband rattles on about rubbish tv frying my brain... but it’s about that time that I hit the ‘I’m full’ button, full of information, facts, talking and listening. I watch total crap on tv or tic toc or anything about absolute rubbish that I can turn on and tune out for at least 45 mins or if lucky I’ll get an hour at it .... so yea basically I feel like I can’t absorb anymore about that time every day... but low and behold I get up again each morning and it seems like I have the capacity for more ... and will repeat this process, probably until I die, and die without seeing judge judys new hairstyle that she got last year, as we are still watching re runs from the 90’s.

But it’s all good...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I think it's more that our sense of wonder diminishes as we get older and more cynical. The tedium of everyday life - responsibilities, work, bills etc. - all erode our enthusiasm and ability to get lost in a book.

Can you tell the restrictions are getting to me? :p

ETA: Your username is perfect as you finally did completeit!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't believe it works that way. The connections your brain can make are limitless.

What happens is you need to practice or go over info to remember it. As you develop more hobbies or absorb more info ...you can't do it all daily or go over it daily. So you lose practice in one skill or more.

If you were able to go over all the info you ever learned in one day plus learn new stuff you could retain everything. But there are not enough hrs in the day. That's all.

The brain is limitless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not yet anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Love to be able to read, but I've add and dyslexia, thankfully modern methods such as YouTube and podcasts keep me informed

Advertisement