Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you feel the need to buy a new car?

Comments

Really anything other than sitting in a room taking food supplements and drinking water is a waste of money if you look at it at all. But who wants to live like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭themouthpiece

FAMLEE wrote: »
    Apologies, a k11 should suit you better then rather than sooting up the octavia. 500 for a good little micra. ill take the octavia from ya for 550. Win Win for everyone

I'm fully aware of the whole Diesel short journey BS on boards.

It gets a decent journey every two or three months which does it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You just can't leave this go. You try to justify spending a fortune on cars, when i'm 45-50 and retired and enjoying sipping cocktails on a cruise, enjoy your new car.

I'm not justifying anything, I don't need to.

Spending money on holidays ( fake as they may be) is a much worse use of money than buying a car. 100% depreciation.

If you wanted to save money youd buy a new car and drive it forever.

You just can't leave this go. You try to justify spending a fortune on cars, when i'm 45-50 and retired and enjoying sipping cocktails on a cruise, enjoy your new car.

Maybe they’d rather have the car than sip cocktails on a cruise. People might prefer to live their own life rather than your model of it. For me a cruise would be absolute hell. Plus, going by your own logic, you’re getting zero for your money as soon as it’s over.

Really anything other than sitting in a room taking food supplements and drinking water is a waste of money if you look at it at all. But who wants to live like that?

No, are you not reading his posts, only buying a brand new car is a waste of money. Everything else makes sound financial sense. Especially stuff that has no value somehow.

• Advertisement

I'm not justifying anything, I don't need to.

Spending money on holidays ( fake as they may be) is a much worse use of money than buying a car. 100% depreciation.

If you wanted to save money youd buy a new car and drive it forever.

Oh my God, I wont get rid of my Octavia until it blows up, It will probably see me out at least another 15 years, minimum. Enjoy wasting your money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭FAMLEE

I'm fully aware of the whole Diesel short journey BS on boards.

It gets a decent journey every two or three months which does it fine.

Short journey's on diesels is NOT bs wether on boards or not.

That is not a sufficient enough run on those 1.6tdi's.

People like you that keep food on my table.

Oh my God, I wont get rid of my Octavia until it blows up, It will probably see me out at least another 15 years, minimum. Enjoy wasting your money.

It will never "blow up" and it will see you out til your 6 feet under if you keep throwing money into it

And you enjoy wasting yours on holidays. Everyone is happy.

Youd need a few cruises after spending 15 years in that Octavia.

Sure if you live in it you could save loads more money.

But then youd be giving up your penthouse apartment and your international catwalk model wife may not want to live in your Octavia, so it's a trade off.

• Advertisement

It will never "blow up" and it will see you out til your 6 feet under if you keep throwing money into it

Havn't thrown money into yet bar a back shock, please keep going.

And you enjoy wasting yours on holidays. Everyone is happy.

Wasting money on holidays. OMG.

Are you the person that does nothing except work Mon to Fri and rarely leaves the house?
    You might have a few quid every so often?

Sorry but after 9 pages of a thread i havn't seen one benefit of getting a new car except sitting at home paying it off with yourself in debt.

And happy not to travel and living in Ireland and travelling is a waste of money.

Come on lads.

Havn't thrown money into yet

Yet... you do know a car is made of essentialy 'consumable' and 'wearable parts'

or am i missing something?

Sorry but after 9 pages of a thread i havn't seen one benefit of getting a new car except sitting at home paying it off with yourself in debt.

Youd think a jet setting genius like yourself would have your browsing settings worked out for maximum efficiency and be showing 40 posts per page . It's only 4 pages then and no drop in productivity.

Btw, refusing to see benefits is the same as there being none.

Yet... you do know a car is made of essentialy 'consumable' and 'wearable parts'

or am i missing something?

As i said allready if i think something is wrong a garage will come pick it up free of charge, give me a report and ask if I want the work done. Last thing was a back shock. All done in no time and didn't cost me 30k

Are you the person that does nothing except work Mon to Fri and rarely leaves the house?
    You might have a few quid every so often?

Why would I go on holidays when I don’t enjoy them? I hate everything about travelling so it’s hardly a good use of my own money. I find your love of holidays just as strange as you find others buying cars, but each to their own.

Youd think a jet setting genius like yourself would have your browsing settings worked out for maximum efficiency and be showing 40 posts per page . It's only 4 pages then and no drop in productivity.

Btw, refusing to see benefits is the same as there being none.

So petty insults now because I have clearly pointed out a new car is just a waste of money.

No Benefits except getting yourself into debt.

I'm still waiting for the benefits. Why is my 2010 Octavia any different from your new car?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

road_high wrote: »
    Until you own a new car you’ll never understand the pleasure, zero hassle and sheer convenience of owning one. All the new cars I’ve had didn’t cost me a penny in expensive repairs vs previous used car that did. If at all possible I’d buy a new car or at least nearly new.

Didn’t cost a penny in repairs? Of course it didn’t. You just blew a massive amount of money on a new motor..

But they make zero financial sense. Every penny is gone as soon as the holiday is paid for. Isn't the whole premise of the thread that new cars make no sense and there's no justification for spending the money?

You could save so much money and rent a mobile in wexford instead of that cruise. That's of you need a holiday at all. Itd be cheaper to stay and home and eat tins of beans.

Surely if doing things you enjoy gets factored in, your whole arguement falls down?

• Advertisement

But they make zero financial sense. Every penny is gone as soon as the holiday is paid for. Isn't the whole premise of the thread that new cars make no sense and there's no justification for spending the money?

You could save so much money and rent a mobile in wexford instead of that cruise. That's of you need a holiday at all. Itd be cheaper to stay and home and eat tins of beans.

Surely if doing things you enjoy gets factored in, your whole arguement falls down?

The cruise i'm talking about is my retirement fund which i will be able to do at 45-50 as i pointed out already. Please stay going. I wouldn't be able to retire if i spent 180K on new cars since i was 22 would I? I'd get a good nine years out of that. 28 years later.

Pension fund wouldn't be long kicking in then.

So petty insults now because I have clearly pointed out a new car is just a waste of money.

I'm still waiting for the benefits. Why is my 2010 Octavia any different from your new car?

No debt if you buy the car with cash. Lots of people have the money for a new car AND 4 cruises a year. Why not? The benefits for people like that would be peace of mind, (no having to replace rear shocks) ahem, & comfort.

You think it's a waste of money, but so is going to the pub of a friday.

Who's getting in to debt ? No one mentioned debt. Are you the only person that can buy cars for cash?

You havnt pointed out that a new car is a waste of money because your justification for not buying a depreciating asset is so you can spend the money on something that has no value at all.

Not sure how having a car with a value of, say, 10k after a few years is worse value than having no asset at all.

All you've done to counter any arguments is say lol a few times and tell us a holiday cant be compared to a new car, which , seeing as how this is a financial discussion, is dead right, but not in the order tou think.

The cruise i'm talking about is my retirement fund which i will be able to do at 45-50 as i pointed out already. Please stay going. I wouldn't be able to retire if i spent 180K on new cars since i was 22 would I? I'd get a good nine years out of that. 28 years later.

Why would you be spending 180k? If you're buying a 10 year old Octavia and keeping it for 15 years, why would you be changing a brand new one in anything less than 25 years? So 1 brand new octavia would take you from 22 to retirement.

Are you taking no holidays at all in the 25 years you'll be working? Seems a bit odd seeing as you were going on about people slaving away to pay for their cars?

Who's getting in to debt ? No one mentioned debt. Are you the only person that can buy cars for cash?

You havnt pointed out that a new car is a waste of money because your justification for not buying a depreciating asset is so you can spend the money on something that has no value at all.

Not sure how having a car with a value of, say, 10k after a few years is worse value than having no asset at all.

All you've done to counter any arguments is say lol a few times and tell us a holiday cant be compared to a new car, which , seeing as how this is a financial discussion, is dead right, but not in the order tou think.

Twisting words and you can't see the truth. Forget Debt, Say you can pay off the car brand new, say 38K which i can. What an absolute watse of money. If it doesn't affect you retiring early then go for it, all i know not making stupid purchases like that i can retire at 45-50 easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Water2626262

People buy new cars because they can afford to. Might cost them thousands but it makes no odds to them. Nice brand new car, warranty, no wear and tear, colour and spec that they want and hassle free motoring. If someone wants to spend money on a new car so be it. It’s their personal choice.

I never had new bar company cars but I’ve spent up to 20k in the past. What’s the harm anyway? Couldn’t give a monkeys about depreciation if I like the car. Much prefer having an automatic, high BHP, comfortable, 800w+ stereo and all the mod cons than driving some misery appliance yoke that makes you resent and begrudge everyone else on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why would you waste money on a cruise when you'll still have to support yourself in retirement for potentially 40+ years?

People buy new cars because they can afford to. Might cost them thousands but it makes no odds to them. Nice brand new car, warranty, no wear and tear, colour and spec that they want and hassle free motoring. If someone wants to spend money on a new car so be it. It’s their personal choice.

I never had new bar company cars but I’ve spent up to 20k in the past. What’s the harm anyway? Couldn’t give a monkeys about depreciation if I like the car. Much prefer having an automatic, high BHP, comfortable, 800w+ stereo and all the mod cons than driving some misery appliance yoke that makes you resent and begrudge everyone else on the road.

Do you think older cars are pieces of crap or something. Waste your money like a good lad.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Why would you waste money on a cruise when you'll still have to support yourself in retirement for potentially 40+ years?

MMMM, read my posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Twisting words and you can't see the truth. Forget Debt, Say you can pay off the car brand new, say 38K which i can. What an absolute watse of money. If it doesn't affect you retiring early then go for it, all i know not making stupid purchases like that i can retire at 45-50 easily.

You seem to want to use this thread to boast about how much money you have and how early you can retire . Good for you but no one cares . Personally driving an old octavia would depress me but I like cars so I’ll buy something nicer, doesn’t have to be new but does have to be nicer and if it isn’t new someone else will have to have bought it new so I can buy it pre owned.

I’ll also be able to retire early if I want and I only buy cars I could pay for in cash if I chose. So why am I stupid ?

Advertisement