Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you have to earn to be rich?

• 30-12-2019 8:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48

Not talking about legacy wealth, but what income brackets correspond to being rich/poor in Dublin? I'd say by household it's something like this:

Dole - 30k: Poor
    30k - 55k: Sort of poor
    55k-75k: lower middle
    75k-90k: middle of the pack
    90k-115k: upper middle
    115k-170k: fairly well off
    170k+: rich

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

You think 75-90k per annum is an average income?

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Pooinloo

nullzero wrote: »
    You think 75-90k per annum is an average income?

Per household

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Pooinloo wrote: »
    Not talking about legacy wealth, but what income brackets correspond to being rich/poor? I'd say by household it's something like this:

Define rich

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

It depends on how much you spend compared to how much you earn and/or have saved or inherited.
    And its relative.

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Define rich

That's basically what the thread is asking you to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Well, isn't that a fine how-do-you-do. Seems I'm poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Per household

Thanks for changing your OP to reflect this.

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 ZuluDawn2020

Not talking about legacy wealth, but what income brackets correspond to being rich/poor? I'd say by household it's something like this:

Don't get married or commit to a serious relationship don't have kids don't take out a mortgage don't smoke don't eat fast food do go for a run every morning and do manage twenty press ups correctly in one set and you are doing better than 99% of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Someone on 55k can have considerably more disposable income than someone on 170k. Its all relative to lifestyle, debt, expectations, responsibilities.

I would tend to think a single person on about 55-60k would be able to afford a very comfortable lifestyle if they are reasonably sensible with their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm fooked so.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Earn gratitude for what you have and you will be the richest person in the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

A clean bill of health

Drumpot wrote: »
    Earn gratitude for what you have and you will be the richest person in the world.

Yes but I mean in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Drumpot wrote: »

Can't buy pints with gratitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Disposable income be more important to me.

A couple on 100k with 2 kids, mortgage and running 2 cars

A singleton on 100k in an inherited flat and walking to work.

Incomparable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Unless you never have to work again, or indeed never did have to ever work, you are not rich.

Op I think you are also a bit of a clown, putting between sixty and ninety grand a year as being " middle of the road", proves that you are either 12 or an imbecile.

Answers on a postcard.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Unless you never have to work again, or indeed never did have to ever work, you are not rich.

Op I think you are also a bit of a clown, putting between sixty and ninety grand a year as being " middle of the road", proves that you are either 12 or an imbecile.

Answers on a postcard.

Dual income in Dublin. Learn to read good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Paging the IT workers...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭FAMLEE

"RICH". Means not having to work & millions in the bank. Rest of us are working class wether we earn 20k or 200k a year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Paging the IT workers...

You called? How can we help you today?

Or do you want us IT folk to clutter up the thread with talk of our outrageous salaries and massive benefits packages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Stheno wrote: »
    You called? How can we help you today?

Or do you want us IT folk to clutter up the thread with talk of our outrageous salaries and massive benefits packages?

I don't want you to but I have a feeling it's going to happen anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I don't want you to but I have a feeling it's going to happen anyway.

Don't see the point tbh :) it's well accepted that experienced IT people earn well above the average

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭antimatterx

One year in as a software engineer, I'm making 32K. I'm in the fortunate position where I can save 75% of my income.

One year in as a software engineer, I'm making 32K. I'm in the fortunate position where I can save 75% of my income.

Jesus that didn't take long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Stheno wrote: »
    Jesus that didn't take long.

I was provoked when we were basically asked not to

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Can't buy pints with gratitude.

Many have tried.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not talking about legacy wealth, but what income brackets correspond to being rich/poor in Dublin? I'd say by household it's something like this:

Damn! I'm going to be down to fairly well off when I drop my hours again later this year:(

Fortunately richness is not defined by income

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

You'll never earn enough and be happy financially so work out how to compromise on that.

You have to settle for the fact theres more important things out there that will make you happy that dont cost money...

I was provoked when we were basically asked not to

But by ops reckoning you are poor even if you had an Oh earning the same.

And everyone knows that software engineers have no personalities so likely you're single.

AND poor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Seems between me and my partner, we're still in the 'sort of poor' bracket. :o

Don't live in Dublin, though, so our income is comfortable enough for us, I guess. Childcare costs were eating up my weekly wage, so when I got the opportunity to take shorter hours at work, I took it.

Unless we pick the winning Lotto numbers, I doubt we'll ever be 'rich'.

Advertisement