Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

68% of Americans are overweight (including 38% that are obese).

• 25-01-2018 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭

According to Oced,

Ireland 23% Obese
    US: 38% Obese
    Mexico: 32% Obese
    New Zealand: 30.7
    Hungary: 30
    Australia: 30
    UK: 26.9
    Canada: 25.6

Overweight (including obese)

Mexico: 70%
    US: 68%
    Hungary: 60%
    UK: 60%
    Canada: 50%
    Spain: 45%

http://www.oecd.org/health/health-systems/Obesity-Update-2017.pdf

Bloody awful that. Dunno what the solution is though. Better education about cooking for one, less binging on terrible food? Alcohol doesn't help weight either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Thats what the Russians want. Americans too fat and lazy to reach for their weapons, then take over the country and bring back the USSR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

The hole in the front is bigger than the hole in the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No great surprise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Sounds to me like 32% are underweight. Majority rules. It's a democracy after all. Kind of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

So why so much discrimination towards overweight people when the majority of people here are overweight?

Never got that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good news for slim fit criminals as home owners waddle after them gasping for breath.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

"A healthy weight for ireland" - the action plan goes on about the food pyramid and taxing high fat products.
    Taxing my olive oil sounds like a great plan altogether ye. Oh and taxing salt. We're definitely obese due to salt
    However, the limited success of obesity policies
    in many countries has been met with a call for
    more strategic policy design
    Like not telling us to eat more bread and pasta??
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html

The one main thing i agree with is on sugary drinks I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The hole in the front is bigger than the hole in the back

Don’t let that stop you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

People eat too much processed sh1te these days. Especially in the States. Portion sizes are also an issue over there, it was the first thing I noticed eating out.

We need to get back to consuming fresh produce on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Im surprised that Hungary didn't top the poll :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

DEXA was used?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Not in the least bit surprised. Junk food and humongous portions rule in the States. Pity that we’re going the same way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

People eat too much processed sh1te these days. Especially in the States.

I actually send food with my young wan when she goes to the states because even stuff like peanut butter is full of sugar and processed oils. Their bread is over processed cake basically.

Probably seems overkill but fcukit like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've only anecdotes here but I've heard more than a few times that the food in the US is awful. There's Whole Foods, good restaurants and the like but if you can't afford them then you're stuck with it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why are mexicans so fat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Its the general food available to americans and the portions that they have become used to.

Ive gone to the US a few times for work. Usually a week or two at a time.
    Every single meal i eat you leave the table literally bursting and it doesnt cost much either.

Even in the work canteen. They had a counter like in a Centra where you could get a sandwich made. I usually got ham + cheese and the thing would be filled with about 2cm thick of sliced ham for about $3

I started telling them to just put 2-3 slices in there.

When you go to supermarkets its just row after row of processed ****.
    You have to go to some more upmarket places to just get a normal unprocessed whole chicken.

The hotel served bacon + eggs but it came with a side of pancakes and maple syrup by default + large coffee with free refills. So thats a whole load of sugar before you even start your day.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why are mexicans so fat?

Probably US influence and the average person is poorer so eats more **** food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I've only anecdotes here but I've heard more than a few times that the food in the US is awful. There's Whole Foods, good restaurants and the like but if you can't afford them then you're stuck with it.

It's pretty bad, yeah. A good deal of it finds it's way into Canada too... I had a room mate who moved out and never cleared a press that we didn't notice his food was in. It was mostly tinned tuna and other non-perishables, but there was also about 90% of a load of 'Wonderbread' (so opened).

It was spotless. Not only was there not even a hint of mold anywhere, it quite literally was as 'soft' and buoyant as the day it would have been bought. That load will haunt me to the fecking grave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Judging by the amount of hot Hungarian and Mexican women I know I call bs in this poll findings.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Well, if the movies are to be believed, breakfast in America are way to big

giphy.gif

people-in-movies-have-this-kind-of-breakfast-and-they-30309605.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Why are mexicans so fat?

Because their food is so delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

So why so much discrimination towards overweight people when the majority of people here are overweight?

Never got that...

Because obesity is more likely to occur in people with lower income. Rich people have better education, better choices of foods, are able to afford better foods, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's pretty bad, yeah. A good deal of it finds it's way into Canada too... I had a room mate who moved out and never cleared a press that we didn't notice his food was in. It was mostly tinned tuna and other non-perishables, but there was also about 90% of a load of 'Wonderbread' (so opened).

It was spotless. Not only was there not even a hint of mold anywhere, it quite literally was as 'soft' and buoyant as the day it would have been bought. That load will haunt me to the fecking grave.

I remember you and your OH telling me about this actually.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Why are mexicans so fat?

https://youtu.be/YEXwWe-eJmI

Doltanian wrote: »
    Judging by the amount of hot Hungarian and Mexican women I know I call bs in this poll findings.

If you know them then they are probably not living in Hungary or Mexico so they dont eat the associated diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

bluewolf wrote: »

The one main thing i agree with is on sugary drinks I guess

Ditto. This is a massive part of the problem, people drinking calories in massive doses every day.
    There was a study in the UK where they removed soft drink vending machines from one school district and left them in another and did base line tests on kids at the start of the year and then checked again at the end of the year and the difference in weight and body fat percentage gained on average over the year between the two districts was dramatic.
    The fact that schools are allowed to let private companies make profit off kids is madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Even in the work canteen. They had a counter like in a Centra where you could get a sandwich made. I usually got ham + cheese and the thing would be filled with about 2cm thick of sliced ham for about $3

I started telling them to just put 2-3 slices in there.

The ham, even as thick as you describe, was probably lower in calories than the other individual ingredients.

Ironic.

Ditto. This is a massive part of the problem, people drinking calories in massive doses every day.
    There was a study in the UK where they removed soft drink vending machines from one school district and left them in another and did base line tests on kids at the start of the year and then checked again at the end of the year and the difference in weight and body fat percentage gained on average over the year between the two districts was dramatic.
    The fact that schools are allowed to let private companies make profit off kids is madness.

One advantage of having frugal parents was that I never had any money for them!

H. H. Asquith

lacking exercise is as big a part of the problem than diet.

Where I live is full of fat lazy women. There's also fat men, but not so many.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Why are mexicans so fat?

Coca-Cola in schools.

Advertisement