Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Y2K - Where were you on Dec 31st at 11:59pm in 1999?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

bubblypop wrote: »
    Mist pubs in Dublin closed early that day, I was working till 2pm, then we went to a local bar for a few hours, till it closed.
    At midnight, a good few of us were sitting in an old part of road (they were building the last part of the m50 at the time) a big semi circle shaped empty road, overlooking Dublin, from the foot of tick nock road.
    We had few drinks, stereos were out & we watched fireworks all over Dublin City.
    Was probably my most enjoyable nye ever!

That sounds brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Friends back garden. Cheering in NY with bottles of beer, and watching neighbors fireworks. Headed into town, and turned into another night out, finishing with a battle for a taxi home.

house party in sligo. most pubs and clubs were empty in the town as they were charging loads just to get in.

Me too, in a house on Gaol Road!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭griffin100

In a pub in Lenanne in wildest Connemara with my now wife and loads of mates. I remember RTwas on the TV and during the countdown to midnight some over exuberant punter jumped in the air and knocked the TV off at about 10 secs to go. Cue pandemondoum as loads of people tried to get the TV back on. It felt like ages but it was back on with 4 secs to go. Was a great night.

I was in a bad place and I was an awful awful little sh*t in many ways. I do not hate many people in my life. But when I look back on the former me - jesus I would like to slap him a few. And then a few more. And then Id call in a few people to give him a few after that. He deserved it.

Case in point - I have no idea where I was on that night or who I was with - and I doubt the me at the time even cared. I have a vague idea i was in a room with a few people who all thought it would be cool to sing "this years love" together over and over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Working on the main door of Fitzsimmon's nightclub in Templebar, and making a nice few quid for it too.

I was working top floor in Club XS in Wrexham, the manager feared it being quiet so everyone who was barred from any other clubs and from ours was allowed in on an amnesty, be good that night and you'd be back in for good.

Was fcukin bedlam, we were fighting from 9pm until 3. One of the best nights on the doors I've ever had, just think of a 6hr adrenalin rush. Few of the guys were physically sick at the end of the shift

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MyAccount

Reading the various posts above brought back memories.

I remember my OH and two then young kids were laid up with 'flu so I was alone in the sitting room, curious to see if the lights would go out and all tech related stuff would "die".

I remember being mildly disappointed that nothing happened and the world didn't end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

At home waiting for my father to die. He had been sick since Christmas day and had been in bed all week. My mother called the doctor a few times over that period. The last time was on the 31st. He said my father wouldn't live much longer and there wasn't anything else he could do. Four days later he breathed his last breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

In the pub with my brother, I remember everyone was very excited ringing in the new year.

Turns out there wasn't much to get excited about at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

At home ringing in the new year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I was 9 years old in Wicklow and we went to the end of the road of my estate where you could get a great view of fireworks. After that we all went home.

Hilariously remember sky news fear-mongering us about Y2K and how the computers would not be able to handle the date change or something. They reported on 2 computers having errors and telling us it's a sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

chrissb8 wrote: »
    I was 9 years old in Wicklow and we went to the end of the road of my estate where you could get a great view of fireworks. After that we all went home and I remember my Dad.

Hilariously remember sky news fear-mongering us about Y2K and how the computers would not be able to handle the date change or something. They reported on 2 computers having errors and telling us it's a sign.

A lot is us made a lot of money out of the y2k bug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Alecto

I was 11 and running around my estate with a friend of mine after getting my hands on some champagne and poppers, waiting for the end of the world. Or at least some computers crashing. What a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

house party in sligo. most pubs and clubs were empty in the town as they were charging loads just to get in.
    A lot of publicans will tell you that that was the start of the demise of the pub industry.
    Publicans started loading admisssion charges just because of the Millenium. The public got pissed off and decided to start having house parties on New Years Eve. They realised that it worked out a lot cheaper, didnt have to put up with the local pissheads in the pub, own choice of music, finish up when they wanted to etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

On call in the Fire Station in case the sh*t hit the fan. Got a nice payout though for being there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

They told us the toaster would even stop working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

At home, pregnant and sober. It's hard to believe it was 20 yrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Standing in The Diamond in Ardara with a smoke in one hand and a drink in the other.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

We had a party at the sister in law's house. Great night.

There was a young lad at wrtk who was scared of his sh1te of all the Y2K bug predictions. 5 or 6 of us arranged to spend the first half hour bombarding him with gobbledegook text messages filled with ~#@/?>> symbols. Drove the poor fhukker mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A lot is us made a lot of money out of the y2k bug!

Yea, the Y2K bug was a legitimate concern in the years leading up to 2000.

But a lot of money was invested in it so in the end no major infrastructure was exposed to the potential issue.

A lot of Brexiteers in the British government claim that a nor deal Brexit is like the Y2k bug, in the sense that in the end everything will be ok.

The difference is however a lot of work and money was put in to preparing for Y2K, whereas the British government have invested feck all preparing for Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

On the beach in Nelson, NZ. Wanted to be in a place where "Y2K" hit before the majority of civilization came crashing down. Nothing happened. Pity.

Igotadose wrote: »
    On the beach in Nelson, NZ. Wanted to be in a place where "Y2K" hit before the majority of civilization came crashing down. Nothing happened. Pity.
    A likely story. Probably at home with Mammy doing the puzzles in Irelands Own.
    Mammy didnt want you going out in case you met some bad girls

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Edgware wrote: »
    A likely story. Probably at home with Mammy doing the puzzles in Irelands Own.
    Mammy didnt want you going out in case you met some bad girls

'Fraid it's all true, sad boy. End of a 2 week jaunt to NZ. Grand time.

Igotadose wrote: »
    'Fraid it's all true, sad boy. End of a 2 week jaunt to NZ. Grand time.
    Yes Norman. We believe you

Advertisement