Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leather furniture restoration vs. replacement

Options
  • 09-04-2021 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for some advice / tips on furniture restoration please.

I have two leather couches, about 15 years old - very happy with them - Natuzzi brand, have weathered-well a few now grown-up kids using them as trampolines over the years, however the leather is worn significantly in parts now, some tears starting to appear in the cushions, cushions losing their shape / firmness, and potentially some frame issues in the most used sections (this may just be cushion filling issues, not sure). I had an estimate to recover them that's coming in at 750 for the seat cushions for each couch, about the same for the back cushions and not too far off the same again for the arms (quite chunky arms with flat-top) - this is adding up to pretty much the current replacement cost for each couch (2-2500 for each 2-3 seater), and probably wouldn't guarantee longevity if the frames have issues.

Having walked through the price for the leather itself and the work involved with a restorer, I can see where the costs are on this (I probably need a few more estimates - tricky at the present time), but given the repair costs are about the same as the replacement costs, it's hard to justify, except on grounds of trying to recycle / not be such a willing participant in the throw-away society. Really like the style / back-support on these models so would likely go for the same ones again, though I've seen Natuzzi get some bad press in recent years for the material quality (mainly related to the frames, not the leather).

I guess the main Q is would it be bonkers to have them recovered, and also are the repair estimates fair (I'm leaning toward 'yes'). Thanks for any inputs / past experiences / tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Are you replacing like for like?

What grade of leather did you buy originally and is it being recovered in the same grade.?

Also, Natuzzi would be a technically mid range Company, but have also higher and lower ranges which are made in different Countries , so it would be wise to consider if your repurchase is the same range as you originally bought.

As regards newer reviews being lower quality, I believe that most companies would have brought in cost cuts and unless handmade, the quality of your frame you originally purchased will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jc1001

Thanks for the reply @anewme. I'm not sure if the replacement would be like-for-like as the price seems to be pretty close to what we paid 15 years ago, so I guess unless there's been no inflation in furniture prices (unlikely) it mightn't be the same standard. I guess I was just surprised that the cost to recover would be close to the replacement cost - maybe economies of scale kick in, large company vs. smaller operation importing leather on an as needs basis. Anyway thanks for the details, food for thought.

Advertisement