Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky fight night: Warrington title defence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

walshb wrote: »
    Selby?

Who has Selby beaten? Nobody worth a wa&k..

Frampton win was good, but Carl was not at his prime..

Not saying Warrington should not be rated, but this matter of fact claim from Sky that he is number 1 is gick

Yeah that’s a fair point in relation to number 1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

He made a good point about the way Warrington took shots and lack of movement late on.

He took 5 hard headshots just before the KO, which was brutal, he was done earlier on. Really hope he's not badly damaged

Going back to the dressing room he was staggering and bumping into walls like a drunk.
    I do hope he is ok and gets to a hospital ASAP.
    As Nelson said, I doubt he'll remember anything after the 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,547 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If you can legitimately accept one person scoring a fight 7-5 and another person scoring the same fight as 2-10, then the scoring system is way too liberal. And prone to corruption.

Well, it can and does happen..

And it does not mean it is corruption..

When there are 4/5 rds, or more that are very close, then wide scoring can exist ..

Big Ears wrote: »
    It's a soft division and Russell jr only ever fights once a year, and the opponent isn't always that great.

Warrington has beaten Selby, Frampton and Galahad in the last 3 years. Even if you don't think much of him that resume has to be respected.

The Ring had him #1 before this, not that their rankings mean much these days.

I’d have Russell beating him cleanly, and Leo as well..

Warrington is not that good as regards world champion class..

And yes, it is a soft division..

Kind of sad if a Warrington is number 1..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

If you can legitimately accept one person scoring a fight 7-5 and another person scoring the same fight as 2-10, then the scoring system is way too liberal. And prone to corruption.

In Walshb's defence, I've watched enough boxing to have seen fights where literally every round was a 50/50 and the scorecards can be a cause of **** knows and all over the place.

On this occasion however, it should have been impossible to not give Kiko 4 rounds at an absolute minimum, probably 5.
    The majority of people feel he won the bout, so 2 judges scoring that wide against him is controversial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

And here are the bullet points from the Zelpha Barrett fight according to Sky News. "Career-Best Victory" indeed.

543542.jpg

I’d have Russell beating him cleanly, and Leo as well..

Warrington is not that good as regards world champion class..

And yes, it is a soft division..

Kind of sad if a Warrington is number 1..

Santa Cruz is a Super-Featherweight, it's actually a couple of years since he fought at 126.

Russell is more talented alright, but he's only beat Jo Jo Diaz, Kiko Martinez and Nyambayar in that time, and didn't look that great last time out either.

Warrington on the other hand has been a fighter who seemed to be improving, although he did of course struggle with Galahad, before blowing away (the not very good) Takoucht

Yes, Leo moved up..

But still seems to be listed at FW...

I can’t keep up with the rankings and dealings and changes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Always a good night for the fans when the match making goes wrong.
    I did my score the Martinez fight but it “felt” like he won.
    Warrington took some beating. Fair play to him for somehow getting out of the fourth.

Conlan should target a weakened Warrington now...

Get a recognized name on his card..

• Advertisement

Conlan should target a weakened Warrington now...

Get a recognized name on his card..

If they're half sensible they'll keep Warrington out for a while after that.
    His brain got badly rattled in that fight and it'll take some time to heal.

Of course if Conlan has the opportunity he should jump at it. Or Frampton should look for the rematch snould pull off the win Vs Herring.

I've just seen Frampton is favourite for that fight, I'm quite surprised by that !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Absolutely stunned by that outcome tbh. Type of fight that can take years off a career. Warrington was getting hurt in literally every round.

Big Ears wrote: »
    If they're half sensible they'll keep Warrington out for a while after that.
    His brain got badly rattled in that fight and it'll take some time to heal.

Of course if Conlan has the opportunity he should jump at it. Or Frampton should look for the rematch snould pull off the win Vs Herring.

I've just seen Frampton is favourite for that fight, I'm quite surprised by that !

Yes..

Who knows what damage that fight has done Warrington..

No surprise if we don’t see him box again..

I too was surprised that Frampton favorite v Herring. I mentioned same on upcoming fights thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Frampton fight odds have flipped since it became apparent it was taking place in the UK. Herring was fav when it was initially announced talks were for it to happen in NYC. Probably a fair reflection given how difficult it is to get a decision in the UK as an away fighter these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Morrison J wrote: »
    Absolutely stunned by that outcome tbh. Type of fight that can take years off a career. Warrington was getting hurt in literally every round.

It sure could. After about a minute of the fight I thought Lara was too slow and he looked a bit windmilly to me, but then he caught Warrington and you could see he hurt him, that certainly piqued my interest but I still expected Warrington to win comfortably. But the power Lara possessed should have kept Warrington more on alert but he still seemed to go with his normal gameplay of pressure pressure and he got soundly caught in the 4th and the fight should have been stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 19,644 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

He’s a nice kid Warrington I hope he is alright and I hope he is sensible about things from here on out , he has achieved a lot more than anyone expected but I wouldn’t like to see him get beaten like that again .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,540 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Should have been stopped in the 4th.

Commentator saying the 'ref gave him every chance' but the ref did him no long-term favours. His own corner either.

Any word on Warrington. He didn't look good coming out of the ring.

Any word on Warrington. He didn't look good coming out of the ring.

Cleared as ok by doctors last night, but did go to the hospital just to be sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I’m watching the fight back now and it beggars belief that that man was allowed to fight on. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’d been unwell or something he was totally zonked from the off. A guy like that with nothing but sheer will - no power especially - ages quickly and when his timing is that bit off he will be found out and emptied again. Picking a Mexican kid with a record like that and about whom they knew nothing was asking for trouble, he could have picked a British level fighter for a tune up. On Frampton I think he’s done too, this could be the last day out.

• Advertisement

To give Warrington his dues he was an absolute gentleman in defeat, really classy. Lara not even celebrating was fantastic form at only 22 - no crowd a good bit to do with that. Some big fights down the road for that lad. It feels a bit to me like Steve Collins coming to the scene and cleaning out Eubank and Benn when they didn’t think that much of him with defeats on his record (don’t think he had a big amount of KOs at that time though).

I rewatched

Great effort and sportsmanship from both men

Warrington put in a hell of a graft..

His power was not as damaging as Lara’s

Regarding the stoppage..Foster possibly could have called it in round 4, but had he, you can bet folks be slating him for premature stoppage.

Many many examples fighters allowed continue whilst in worse condition. I did notice a lot of Lara’s follow ups were not landing

Maybe Josh’s corner could have pulled him out before round 5? But, again, it’s not ever an exact science

Incredible Josh then survived 4 more rounds, as well as fighting so hard in them..

Anyone catch the Jo Diaz SFW title fight?

Diaz lost title on the scales..

Result was majority draw...

Worth a watch?

Available on DAZN

I rewatched

Great effort and sportsmanship from both men

Warrington put in a hell of a graft..

His power was not as damaging as Lara’s

Regarding the stoppage..Foster possibly could have called it in round 4, but had he, you can bet folks be slating him for premature stoppage.

Many many examples fighters allowed continue whilst in worse condition. I did notice a lot of Lara’s follow ups were not landing

Maybe Josh’s corner could have pulled him out before round 5? But, again, it’s not ever an exact science

Incredible Josh then survived 4 more rounds, as well as fighting so hard in them..

Maybe so. I will acknowledge that Josh didn’t look again in real trouble until the stoppage did come. He looked vulnerable but not defenceless. Like one more assault would do him but it didn’t come with repeated connections until the 9th. He took some huge single shots in the ensuing rounds and while the fight would have been much better for Warrington to be stopped earlier I suppose there is some argument in the then and there for allowing him to continue. He did dish out some big hits himself afterwards. Dreadful fight for him.

Offensively in terms of punches and delivery and accuracy I thought Josh was very impressive..

Far too much made of him not being in tune..

Josh put in a great offensive effort

Simple: Lara was hurting him with damaging punches...

Josh wasn’t really hurting Lara..

And that’s boxing at times...

Sky have put the fight up on YouTube. Adam Smith is the commentator, I was watching DAZN coverage so I had a different commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Offensively in terms of punches and delivery and accuracy I thought Josh was very impressive..

Far too much made of him not being in tune..

Josh put in a great offensive effort

Simple: Lara was hurting him with damaging punches...

Josh wasn’t really hurting Lara..

And that’s boxing at times...

I agree with this.

The way the commentary was going on you'd swear Warrington was a corpse out there...he was putting some good shots together, good speed and accuracy...but it was clear the moment Lara landed that he was hurting him, you could see Josh was feeling those shots, he was brave and tried to fire back but he was just having no impact, it really should of been stopped in the 4th he was out on his feet...totally gone.

I agree with this.

The way the commentary was going on you'd swear Warrington was a corpse out there...he was putting some good shots together, good speed and accuracy...but it was clear the moment Lara landed that he was hurting him, you could see Josh was feeling those shots, he was brave and tried to fire back but he was just having no impact, it really should of been stopped in the 4th he was out on his feet...totally gone.

Yes. Macklin and Smith constantly focusing on how poor and ineffective Josh was

Utter nonsense. Lara was landing and hurting..

Josh was very clean, fast, hard and accurate. His shots were very good..

They just were not having the desired effect on Lara. Lara was responding with heavier shots that were damaging Josh..

Yes. Macklin and Smith constantly focusing on how poor and ineffective Josh was

Utter nonsense. Lara was landing and hurting..

Josh was very clean, fast, hard and accurate. His shots were very good..

They just were not having the desired effect on Lara. Lara was responding with heavier shots that were damaging Josh..

Hmm I’m not in total agreement here lads. JW did have some clean enough work but there was nothing like his usual volume or aggression. I think it’s accurate to say he had an off night. He wasn’t woeful but below par.

Lara’s eye was in terrible shape as well so he had some success.

• Advertisement

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Hmm I’m not in total agreement here lads. JW did have some clean enough work but there was nothing like his usual volume or aggression. I think it’s accurate to say he had an off night. He wasn’t woeful but below par.

Lara’s eye was in terrible shape as well so he had some success.

He may not have been at his best, but the Sky Team, as usual, were OTT

And, he was getting proper hurt when Lara was tagging him...this can have an effect on your own plan, your own workrate etc.....

It's all well and good being like a demon when you are not getting tagged hard and rocked and hurt.......Josh was a little more hesitant and reluctant because of this.

Advertisement