Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old and forgotten Cartoon series

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I remember some of the best cartoons being early Saturday morning on anything goes.

Who can forget 80s billy the fish and fulchester United.

https://youtu.be/kvWgDOJSvL4

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I remember waking up way too early one Saturday morning turned on the tv and I dunno wtf I put on but I got a serious shock :pac:. Can't remember exactly what it was but got a fright anyway haha. Me da was getting up for work around the same time and made me go back upstairs!

Saturday/Sunday morning tv used to be class alongside a big bowl of sugar and a bit of cereal thrown in for good measure haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PerryB78

Battle of the planets? And a chewy bar out around that time too if im not mistaken

Dunno if you would call it a cartoon more animated adult type thing but anyone remember The Critic ?

• Advertisement

Remember watching TFI as a teenager and Chris Evans regularly showing how kids cartoons hid inappropriate things. Funniest one was when daphne, on scooby doo, for no reason should gave her ass a wiggle when someone else was chatting. How did they get away with things like this:

https://youtu.be/nw4l6XHzgKU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Babar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

My favourites were Thundercats, dungeons and dragons, Bertha, button moon, the series on Bosco where Gregory Grainneog ate too much at his rabbit friends gaff and he got stuck in the exit hole, and Charlie Brown. Sadly I was too old to have got into the rugrats.

Babar

My dad used to read this book when we were kids. Such a happy childhood memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Lolek and Bolek...anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

California Raisins :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Lolek and Bolek...anyone?

Eastern block cartoons a staple of RTE during the 80's. Probably paid £5 for each episode. Strangely engaging but clueless to what was going on.
    I'm on holidays in a greenlist country. The only thread on the site I'm viewing at the moment. Fun no misery.
    Tom and Jerry before PC, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

As a result of this thread I’m sitting on the couch at age 44 watching Willie Fog on a Saturday morning ffs😂.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh dogtanian and the three musketeers!. Think I remember the theme tune being mad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The original Popeye cartoons from the 50s and 60s were great. The various reboots from the late 70s and 80s toned down the violence and werent as much fun. The complete nadir came with Popeye and Son circa 86. Awful, awful stuff. Popeye was turned into a new man sap and he had this complete gobshyte of a teenage son who most of the focus was on

Oh dogtanian and the three musketeers!. Think I remember the theme tune being mad too.

Singing it in me head now thanks!! Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Weird early 80s Irish Sci Fi cartoon 'CP and Qwikstitch'

It was also shown on BBC1, it was unusual to see the RTE credits on a BBC Channel

There's this thing dunno whether it was segments or an actual show that I'm sure was on TCC called telly cat. Dunno if that's the correct spelling but no one else apart from me ma remembers it haha!!

I have this memory of cat sitting outside and this weird bird thing in used to talk to that was down a hole!

I've looked online many times can't find a thing.

There's was link anchorman as well look that up on YouTube and I'm sure it will trigger all kinds of memories haha.

Skid X wrote: »
    Weird early 80s Irish Sci Fi cartoon 'CP and Qwikstitch'

It was also shown on BBC1, it was unusual to see the RTE credits on a BBC show

I was trying for years to remember what that was till fairly recently. I've a funny feeling RTE showed it in Irish as well.

There's this thing dunno weather it was segments or an actual show that I'm sure was on TCC called telly cat. Dunno if that's the correct spelling but no one else apart from me ma remembers it haha!!

I have this memory of cat sitting outside and this weird bird thing in used to talk to that was down a hole!

Ive looked online many a time can't find a thing.

There's was link anchorman as well look that up on YouTube and I'm sure it will trigger all kinds of memorys haha.

Can't link as on phone but it sounds like Telechat, a very weird French show from the 80s. It's all up on YouTube.

• Advertisement

No mention of the Animals of Farthing Wood?

Woody the Woodpecker had some good stuff with Chilly Willy etc

Can't link as on phone but it sounds like Telechat, a very weird French show from the 80s. It's all up on YouTube.

OMG :P

Thank you!

Shame its all in French but FFS I never in a million years taught id see this again!! haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I was going to mention this yesterday and thought nobody would remember.

It had the most depressing theme tune. It was originally French. Called telechat. But it was called telly cat/telecat in English.

A few clips on YouTube. I think it used to be on during the DJ katt show too.

I was going to mention this yesterday and thought nobody would remember.

It had the most depressing theme tune. It was originally French. Called telechat. But it was called telly cat/telecat in English.

A few clips on YouTube. I think it used to be on during the DJ katt show too.

Ya i remember DJ Katt meself. There was some really random mad kids stuff years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I used to love:

Dr. Snuggles
    Super Ted
    M.A.S.K
    Mysterious Cities of Gold
    Dogtanion
    Babar
    Inspector Gadget
    Ghost Busters
    James Bond Junior
    Brave Star
    Bobby's World
    Pinky and The Brain
    Stunt Dawgs
    Rescue Rangers

But for me M.A.S.K, Cities of Gold and Inspector Gadget really make me feel nostalgic. I love IG, even at the time, I thought some of the art and drawing was just so intriguing.

I'm trying to remember a cartoon that may have been set in the early 1900's with a boy and girl, they may have been homeless and they had a pet dog "fallsnap" or something. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Does anyone remember Wait til Your Father gets Home? Watched it in the 70s. There was a guy in it who never stopped talking about vigilantes and the Russians. At one stage I thought I'd imagined the whole program!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Arabian Knights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA6zp9L44GA
    Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR9J2ITspyU
    Space Ghost - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzt6ybS4Pss
    and
    Battle of the Planets (mentioned a couple of times).

Kalimah wrote: »
    Does anyone remember Wait til Your Father gets Home? Watched it in the 70s. There was a guy in it who never stopped talking about vigilantes and the Russians. At one stage I thought I'd imagined the whole program!!

There was another very similar cartoon called the Barkleys which had anthropomorphic dogs as the characters. Might have been a spin off. The father was right wing and always giving out about hippys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Kalimah wrote: »
    Wait till your father gets.. until your father gets... wait till your father gets home.. :D

• Advertisement

Anyone mentioned Bouli!?

Irish class in Primary school and then on The Den.

Advertisement