Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menthol Cigarette Ban

• 05-05-2020 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I've seen a few posts on this forum from when the measure was announced in 2013 but now that we're nearly two weeks out does anyone know how this will take effect? I'd find it hard to believe both shopkeepers and wholesalers would risk holding large stocks of a product they soon won't be able to sell. Does anyone know or know of potential shortages of menthols pre 20th?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'm surprised to hear there are any still to be had. The whole point of the long lead-time of policies like this is it allows manufacturers and retailers to stop making and stocking the product so there's none left over by the time the law kicks in. Buy them while you still can, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SoberAsABird

Yeah I was in my local corner shop yesterday and someone ahead of me asked for them. The guy behind the counter had to go back into the back to see if they had some. Came back with ten or so packs so there's definitely some still in circulation but I do agree I'd expect to see less and less in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I would have thought rolling tobacco being banned under this was the bigger issue to be honest. Am sure there are a lot more rollie smokers than menthol ones.

I haven't smoked in a few years but the ex rollie smoker in me is livid! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭lucalux

I must admit this passed me by, but can I just ask in case anyone knows for sure, is all rolling tobacco to be banned from 20th May?!

Can't find a definitive answer online at the moment, seems to be lumped in together, as in

"A ban on cigarettes and roll your own tobacco with characterising flavours such as fruit flavours menthol or vanilla" - HSE website - 'Tobacco Product Directive'

Be a lot of smokers spending a lot more money on cigarettes if it is the case, the price difference is huge I imagine?

edit: link to hse website https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/tobaccocontrol/tobaccoproductdirective/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

o1s1n wrote: »
    I would have thought rolling tobacco being banned under this was the bigger issue to be honest. Am sure there are a lot more rollie smokers than menthol ones.

I haven't smoked in a few years but the ex rollie smoker in me is livid! :pac:

It's "flavored" rolling tobacco from what I understand, didn't even know such a thing existed :D Won't bother me anyway, I gave up paying Irish government prices a long time ago haha

• Advertisement

Blaze420 wrote: »
    It's "flavored" rolling tobacco from what I understand, didn't even know such a thing existed
    In Germany about five years ago I accidentally bought a pouch of pineapple rolling tobacco, thinking it was pipe tobacco. I don't smoke cigarettes usually but I'm determined to get through this and am about a quarter of the way in. Just bought my second pack of Rizlas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Blaze420 wrote: »
    It's "flavored" rolling tobacco from what I understand, didn't even know such a thing existed :D Won't bother me anyway, I gave up paying Irish government prices a long time ago haha

Ahhh that makes a hell of a lot more sense.

The article I read said 'menthol cigarettes and rolling tobacco' which in my mind meant two separate things rather than menthol rolling tobacco!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I never knew there was menthol rolling tobacco but now its gone there is one way around it- in the UK they sell papers that are menthol flavoured which Im sure could be got online. They've all sorts of flavours, remembering ending up with liquorice flavour papers once by accident- yuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

What are the arguments against banning cigarettes altogether for anyone born on or after the year 2020 (for example)? Surely it's the best way to phase them out over time. I know there'll be a few kids who'll get their hands on them, but the usage will go down massively surely. Is it all the tax they're getting from them?

• Advertisement

CPTM wrote: »
    What are the arguments against banning cigarettes altogether for anyone born on or after the year 2020 (for example)?
    Prohibition would only increase the existing black market, especially since the black marketeers would have ready and legal access. I'd say there would also be an equality issue over letting some adults buy cigarettes but not others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,083 ✭✭✭corkie

Menthol Smokers? Still want your menthol? Try vaping?

>>> Vaping Forum

Menthol eliquids are not banned with this law, only cigs you burn.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

Advertisement