Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a US police officer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Do you agree with the 3 strike system? Do you think it could work here in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

This is an unfair & argumentative post. I'm happy to discuss issues in US law enforcement and have a coherent debate, but please back up your claims about corruption, deadly force etc. Your comment of "there is no doubt that many US cops enjoy killing others and indeed join just for that privilege" has no basis in fact. Your comment shows little to no understanding of the impact of taking a human life.

Most respectable agencies require psychological testing, screening for behavioral issues, and an in depth interview with psychologists and ongoing monitoring of officer mental health & behavior. No system is perfect and agencies continue to balance screening with labour laws, personal rights to medical privacy and the needs of the agency.

Is this in reference to my post? Do you need me to back up my claims?

As a new user I cannot post links. But if someone would like me to PM them the links I would be happy to do it!

18 unarmed people have been killed in the US this year alone by police officers. None of them white!!
    Dont belive me, I can PM you the references.

Do you honestly not see the murder of unarmed black men by US police officers as a problem? Do you really not think the people who murder these young innocent men should be punished for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Can the dicks leave the room.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

You mention above that there is little difference between being a cop in America and elsewhere.

As an outsider the risk of weapons being involved in every crime would have a major influence on being a cop in America.

How much do you think about the elephant in the room. In an average arrest (burglary, drugs, traffic) do you think 'will this guy pull a weapon on me'.

You mention above the number of small. Law enforcement agency's (7 cops for a small town as its own agency. Would an average policeman in one of those agencies spend his career in that agency or would he move for career advancement. How easy is it to transfer between police forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

When you start off your career, after you’ve had your training and start to actually police do you get career guidance? So the ones who want to stay a beat cop can, those who want to be a detective can or move upwards in uniform or are your skills spotted and moved to areas that the bosses think would suit you?

Would you let someone with a criminal record be a police officer?

Are there any types of criminal that you think are beyond rehabilitation?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 189 Verified rep I'm a US police officer, AMA

What's the biggest challenges you come across and what's the biggest change you've seen over your time.

Biggest challenges are how as a society we expect the police to handle issues such as mental health, addiction, homelessness and social behavior which are really not criminal issues but land on our lap. But then, it’s easy to run for pubic office on a “tough on crime” platform as opposed to a “I’ll hire more addiction counsellors and social workers” platform. Biggest change, see above about IT.

Are you constantly watching your 6 and why are so many alone with such dangers out there.

Of course we watch our six, basic survival skills, you have to. Even Gardai do this, it’s fundamental part of street skills and awareness. I don’t know the history of why some many US agencies use single officer units. I do know administrators like it because it doubles the number of units on the streets. Having said that, probably 70% of our calls only need one officer.

With all your experience, are there any laws you really feel don't really serve a purpose and could do with being changed or abolished?

I’m no legal expert, but some of the silly laws that criminalize trivia are just taking up space on the statute books. In Texas it’s illegal to sell a motor vehicle on consecutive days of Saturday & Sunday, seems dumb to me. (TX Transport Code Chap 728, Subsection A, Section 728.002 if you are interested.

Are you worried that you will get into some bizarre and dangerous situation as you get to within a few days of your retirement?

Not really, that only happens in the movies. I’ll turn my kit in and still be on the clock for about 9 months while I run out all my leave & sick time 😊

Going back to your OP, what are an Asp and an AED?

ASP: telescoping baton (Asp is the trade name) same as what the Gardai carry. AED: Automatic External Defibrillator, for cardiac arrests.

What's your favourite cop movie car chase?

The original Italian Job & Bullitt with Steve McQueen.

Do you have a bedside locker? Whats in your bedside locker?

Alarm clock, torch, Kindle e-reader, Glock when I’m at home (in a drawer). We have no kids in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

For all the talk of incidents of black victims, one has to remember while very unfortunate, the US is by it's nature a highly weaponised society.
    Highly relevant would be the basic stats on gang profiles, typical membership, everyday (street crime) incidents, and of course incarceration rate profilng, relative to percentages of the total populaiton.

While collar crime (even with billionaires) exists everywhere, but not so much on urban poorly-lit back streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Glock Vs 1911

• Company Representative Posts: 189 Verified rep I'm a US police officer, AMA

On social media he's listed his occupation as garbage collector. ;-) . However he lives for the job, my own son is a member of AGS for the last 2 years and like my brother lives for it.
    Stay safe and enjoy your retirement when it rolls around, are you planning to play 'golf' or seek a new career?

A police family, eh? Good conversations at the holidays I'm sure. Nope, don't play golf, plan is travel and maybe some part time teaching at the local tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Well I think we can close the voting on most interesting answer to the bedside locker question

• Advertisement

Highly relevant would be the basic stats on gang profiles, typical membership, everyday (street crime) incidents, and of course incarceration rate profilng, relative to percentages of the total populaiton.
    /QUOTE]

So your saying white people don't carry guns or commit crimes. And you are saying that is the reason no unarmed white people have been killed in the US this year.

You know that the US is about 75% white. So three quarters of the population is white. And not a single one of them has been shot dead while unarmed by a cop. Do you not think that is a little strange or usual?

Of does it go back to the white people dont commit crimes thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

apologies for all the adolescent and antagonistic questions from people. Embarrassing when someone believes a ten min video gives a fair and impartial representation of alleged malpractice. Same fools would be the ones giving police a hard time over a routine question on the street.

And crying in the cells when they get arrested.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

spindex wrote: »
    You may have missed the opening question, how many people have you shot ?

As with all AMAs, the person doing them isn't obliged to answer every question. If there's a question they feel is inappropriate or are uncomfortable with answering, they're perfectly free to ignore it. It is, after all, voluntary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Do you work with a partner? If so, do you have multiple? Have you ever worked with someone (i.e spent the day on patrol with him/her) who you didn't like? What happens in those instances?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Gatling wrote:
    Glock Vs 1911

1911 ftw!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Did you notice a change in everyday policing after 9/11 ?

Does your agency require you to have a heavy trigger pull weight on your Glock like the NYPD, who I believe have one of the highest ? (I'm not a gun nut :p but did read recently about this and how officers struggle to adapt to this, likewise with DAO sidearms)

And assuming you drove them, do you miss the Crown Vics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

cursai wrote: »
    apologies for all the adolescent and antagonistic questions from people. Embarrassing when someone believes a ten min video gives a fair and impartial representation of alleged malpractice. Same fools would be the ones giving police a hard time over a routine question on the street.

And crying in the cells when they get arrested.
    It looks like this thread is an "us and them" thread.
    If boards wants cheerleaders for the US police it should be in the opening post.
    I am not an adolescent. I am not a fool.
    Why apologise to a US police officer who ignores questions he does not like?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Given that you're a veteran on the force, have you ever , in the midst of the action, stopped and said either, or a combination of "I'm getting to old for this ****" / "I'm only x time from retirement". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

A more mundane question from me, among the very many I could ask.

Do you still have an Irish accent, is it strong or just noticeable if so, and does it affect the way you are interpreted, understood or treated at all, both by cops and the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Hi Officer

Do you have a simalar situation in America you arrest somebody bring them to the station and then they are brought to court And the judge binds them over to keep the peace? And same day, they are out causing the same aggro Knowing they will get away it . And you are arresting the same people over and over? Its demoralisng for Garda in city centre here

• Advertisement

It looks like this thread is an "us and them" thread.
    If boards wants cheerleaders for the US police it should be in the opening post.
    I am not an adolescent. I am not a fool.
    Why apologise to a US police officer who ignores questions he does not like?

I thought I was reasonably respectful when I asked my three questions. I am genuinely interested in hearing the officers thoughts on it.

But yeah looks like it looks like an "Us and them". Oh well. I guess this ties in with an earlier poster asking why cops cannot admit when they are in the wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

. I am not an adolescent. I am not a fool. Why apologise to a US police officer who ignores questions he does not like?

I bet YOU couldn't do his job.

So your saying white people don't carry guns or commit crimes.
    Incorrect, and no.

Merely saying take a look at the ratios of those who do actually commit aggrevated and voilent street level crimes, which by default will lead to a certain amount of profiling. It is what it is, as they say.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) in 2013 black males accounted for 37% of the total male prison population, white males 32%, and Hispanic males 22%.

Why did you decide to join the police force?
    And why in the US, over the AGS?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I thought I was reasonably respectful when I asked my three questions. I am genuinely interested in hearing the officers thoughts on it.

But yeah looks like it looks like an "Us and them". Oh well. I guess this ties in with an earlier poster asking why cops cannot admit when they are in the wrong.

If you ask about anyone murdering other people (when there are very few convictions) you are being purposefully argumentive.

I believe it would be wise to quote the ama police officer's answer to a very similar question.
    Are the police forces in US inherently racist? From an outsider it looks that way, but I might be wrong.

This is a complex question, not easily answered in a short forum, so bear with me, and I can only speak from personal experience. I don't think so, most of us just don't care who you are, who you sleep with, what you look like, what you wear/drive. There is a connection between poverty, unemployment, race, education and criminality that is a legacy of history, bad policies, social norms which is a complex and difficult issue. If a minority group suffers from all of the above and an area becomes a high crime area, then there are more police interactions, arrests, searches, etc. Law of numbers say there will be more minority convictions, etc. So, it can be easy, for a quick sound bite to say "the cops only arrest XXXX race in this town". Yet, police face pressure to "clean up YYY part of town, arrest all the criminals". Generational poverty, social expectations and behavior are not going to be solved by the police and more training. However, I'm a realist, are there racist cops, sure, just like there are racist bar staff, lawyers & cooks too. So, probably not, but as a community we can all do better.

Incorrect, and no.

Merely saying take a look at the ratios of those who do actually commit aggrevated and voilent street level crimes, which by default will lead to a certain amount of profiling. It is what it is, as they say.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) in 2013 black males accounted for 37% of the total male prison population, white males 32%, and Hispanic males 22%.

I don't want to derail this thread. But I want you to take a look at your figures and remember that less the 15 per cent of the ENTIRE population. Do you not think that those prison figures look a little skewed.

I am just going to leave it at that.

You mentioned earlier that, whilst you have access to the big guns and tactical gear, you find it unnecessary to wear this kinda stuff in day to day policing, as it creates an 'us vs them' feeling with the public.

As a person who lives in Ireland, and as a result, see my Police Service rock around the beat in a pair of slacks, shirt and tie, looking like their first day of school, I adore the idea of 'proper' police outfits. Personally, I find that a police officer with his holster, tactical vest full of all the nonsense equipment he'll probably never use etc. gives a more dominant image, which though I appreciate your 'us VS them' comment, I feel also demands more respect.

So my question is, in everyday actual real life (ie' not statistics or surveys, but your own personal experience) do people actually treat you any different, according to what you're wearing on a given day?

(We have Armed Gardai in Ireland, albeit they're few and far between, but I often see them pop into the local McDonalds with the tac vest, and holster with gun, and no one really passes any remarks or, to my view, looks uncomfortable with it).

Also, slightly more serious question, are you familiar with the whole Maurice McCabe Whistle-Blower thing that happened in Ireland recently? How do you find the police officers in your area act? Do you feel you'd ever need to be a 'whistleblower' yourself, or do you reckon the majority of the people there are doing a decent job and not acting the bollocks too much? (I appreciate everyone's human, and people will make jokes, show up late, have slow days, etc. but im talking more about casual abuse of the position of being a police officer).

Has a very attractive woman ever tried to do 'anything' to get out of a speeding ticket? (even if this never happened, can you just lie and say it happens all the time! :D )

Last question, do you ever have a big argument at work, and go home and play GTA and run a load of police cars off the road out of anger?

Also, do us all a favour and ignore the 'all US cops are racist murderers' comments. It's embarrassing for us reading it, too!

If you ask about anyone murdering other people (when there are very few convictions) you are being purposefully argumentive.

No, I am asking about a very real problem with US police forces. I would like to know what the posters take is, and how they think it can be addressed. Have a look at the three questions I asked.

This is a AMA, not ask me questions that paint my profession in a great light. Or a chance for a load of Walters to get a boner asking questions about guns.

Listen it is up to the officer to chose to answer the question if he wants to or not. But he chose not to answer it, then comment on the question and claim I was being disrespectful asking it.

I appreciate that they are taking time out of their day to answer questions, and are under no obligation to answer any. But don't be surprised if someone asks a difficult question, and don't get all worked up about it. It was a reasonable question asked in a reasonable manner

Again I don't want to derail this thread. So I am just going to leave it at that.

• Advertisement

I don't want to derail this thread. But I want you to take a look at your figures and remember that less the 15 per cent of the ENTIRE population. Do you not think that those prison figures look a little skewed.
    Precisely the point. (12.6% account for 37% of crime).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement