Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Wrong Thread - Deleted Post

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Didn't know Ferdie Pacheco died this month. RIP. Ali should've listened to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I reckon a 30 stone Fury would still play with Charr.

Looks like that is his approximate weight at the moment! Check out the pic in this article :eek::eek:

http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/11148916/tyson-fury-has-regained-mobility-and-movement-says-ricky-hatton

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Povetkin vs Hammer on Sky Sports Action now in a WBA/WBO eliminator

Joshua vs Parker unification confirmed for 31st March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Joshua vs Parker unification confirmed for 31st March.

Where? Any word on tickets?

Where? Any word on tickets?

Just announced that the deal is done. Most likely Wembley I'd say, I'd imagine info on tickets will be out next week.

Edit: This was on a site I follow, nothing official yet, might be umping the gun a touch...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Who wins this fight lads? I honestly think Parker has a decent chance. That said, he could be blown away in 2-3 rounds

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Who wins this fight lads? I honestly think Parker has a decent chance. That said, he could be blown away in 2-3 rounds

Having watched Parker vs hughie fury, he gives me no confidence. Doesn't look that fit either IMO. That said anyone who is durable or elusive witha bit of power could potentially trouble Joshua.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

He will do what he wants with Parker . Such a let down . Was hoping for wilder

• Advertisement

Having watched Parker vs hughie fury, he gives me no confidence. Doesn't look that fit either IMO. That said anyone who is durable or elusive witha bit of power could potentially trouble Joshua.

I get your point but I thought hughie did well to make a non fight of it. I think Parker is good but young to be at this stage and small for the weight. Something extraordinary will have to happen for him to win

I get your point but I thought hughie did well to make a non fight of it. I think Parker is good but young to be at this stage and small for the weight. Something extraordinary will have to happen for him to win

Parker is a legit Heavyweight at 6"4 and 16/17 stone but he has been weighing in closer to 18 stone of late. For me he just lacks a bit of speed, power and authority in his work.
    I think Hughie is a decent defensive heavyweight but a world class operator would have had the skills to bully him IMO.

Yea I fully expected it to go like that. Parker was safe enough for hughie because the huge power threat isn't there. He's on the smaller end of the HW scale but I think that could be useful vrs AJ. I ultimately see him coming up short but will test AJ. He threows good combos and has stamina so it's about survival early on. One problem I have is that I'm not sure how much he believes he can win himself

• Registered Users Posts: 54,552 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Parker has a decent chin, and has very clever ring movement. Good ring generalship. AJ should get to him, but what if Parker can take it and give it back?

Plus, Parker is a proper HW. Tall and heavy enough. He’s not a blown up CW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

AJ has responded to fury saying to have 2 or 3 fights and get his love back then they'll talk. Not leaving fury with many excuses if he loses so.

AJ has responded to fury saying to have 2 or 3 fights and get his love back then they'll talk. Not leaving fury with many excuses if he loses so.

Fury is a comedy act at this stage. Two years now spewing the same repetitive sh1t about beating this guy and that guy, and still dining out off that abysmal and pathetic showing (albeit a winning showing) against Wlad. Added to him being a cheat. Utter garbage....

I think there's more to come from hughie. He doesn't fight to ko and a lot of good work goes unnoticed. Many had him beating Parker who looked a beaten man at the end.
    Disagree with that analysis of Fury v Wlad. Wlad went into that fight untouchable and TF shut him out. His boxing is about winning not entertaining.
    The Fury style is to smother and slither. They do it well.

Wlad went into that fight untouchable and TF shut him out. His boxing is about winning not entertaining.
    The Fury style is to smother and slither. They do it well.

What about the style where you make contact with things called punches and actually hit the opponent? Can you not try that form of a shut out?

Of course you can there are many different styles like in almost every sport. Each fighter must employ tactics best suited to win. Not always pleasing on the eye but effective nonetheless

Of course you can there are many different styles like in almost every sport. Each fighter must employ tactics best suited to win. Not always pleasing on the eye but effective nonetheless

So, a "shut out," isn't that not very misleading in this example? Unless you also say that Wlad shut Fury out. Best to be fair to both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Joshua will KO Parker quite easily. Parker is nothing special at all.

The odds for this fight tell the story, 1/16 Joshua and 1/7 for the KO. A nice handy belt to add to the collection of Joshua before a massive fight against Wilder. This is working out perfect for Joshua.

walshb wrote: »

So, a "shut out," isn't that not very misleading in this example? Unless you also say that Wlad shut Fury out. Best to be fair to both.

A shut out is when there is a big points difference so to say Wlad did that to Fury makes no sense at all. 116-111 I guess isn't a shut out but a comfortable win, especially since he was 4/1 to do it. Now and again the bookies get it wrong.
    AJ is almost unbackable but he's not unbeatable.

A shut out is when there is a big points difference so to say Wlad did that to Fury makes no sense at all. 116-111 I guess isn't a shut out but a comfortable win, especially since he was 4/1 to do it. Now and again the bookies get it wrong.
    AJ is almost unbackable but he's not unbeatable.

No, a shut out implies an easy type clear win. It was anything but, regardless of the scores. Scores can be separate to this.

Shut outs or even comfortable wins: Where one man clearly displays that he is winning and is better than his foe, at boxing that is.......I have no idea what Fury and Wlad were at 3 years ago.

Calzaghe-Lacy
    Floyd-JMM
    Manny-Margarito
    Crawford-Burns
    etc etc

Fury-Wlad was a stink out. Neither shut the other out.

Well we don't and aren't going to agree on this clearly. I think Fury won that fight by a long way and considering his opponent it was a remarkable achievement. Ever since as a boxing fan I'm disappointed in him. I do agree with you it wasn't a great fight to watch but still Fury deserves respect.

Well we don't and aren't going to agree on this clearly. I think Fury won that fight by a long way and considering his opponent it was a remarkable achievement. Ever since as a boxing fan I'm disappointed in him. I do agree with you it wasn't a great fight to watch but still Fury deserves respect.

We just disagree on the wording I suppose. Boxing wise and scoring wise I felt the fight such a stinker that neither man could really claim superiority.

Anyway, he has been dining out on that sh1t performance over two years now.

Wilder vs Ortiz confirmed for March 3rd
    Whyte vs Browne for March 24th
    Two decent scraps. A good test for Wilder but I expect him to come through.
    Whyte and Browne are of a very similar level IMO (i.e. average!). That could go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I can't understand why Wilder is taking a risk like this with the AJ payday right around the corner? I have Ortiz as the favourite in that fight.

Whyte has the chin to more than likely see a fight with Browne the distance and get the hometown Matchroom decision. Decent test for him though compared to what he's been fighting recently.

I don't think Browne is much good I expect whyte to have far too much for him but whyte himself has looked very poor since beating chisora who is a journeyman.
    The Ortiz Wilder fight is very interesting. Hard to see why wilder will risk it but I think it's a mandatory fight so no choice.
    Surprised there hasn't been a mention of Pulev.
    Interesting that both of these fights have the drugs undercurrent.

My prediction (if both fights do happen) is Wilder with 7/8 ko and whyte on a medium wide points decision

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...I'm sure there will be a thread set up for this soon...But Joshua Parker just confirmed, March 31st!!!... Immediate thoughts?...I can't see past Joshua in this one...

• Advertisement

...I'm sure there will be a thread set up for this soon...But Joshua Parker just confirmed, March 31st!!!... Immediate thoughts?...I can't see past Joshua in this one...

I 'confirmed' this over a week ago :p. See discussion above.
    AJ for me

Advertisement