Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help converting co-ordinates to GPX

• 21-01-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for assistance convert an excel file containing about 270 gps coordinates to kml or gpx.

I've managed to convert - but my co-ordinates are possibly the correct format.

For example, this is one line:

Regional Hospital (Limerick) Limerick 52N3804 08W3910

Is there anyone that can assist please?

(I hope this is the correct forum!)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Checking on my maps, they would appear to be degrees / minutes / seconds rather than decimal degrees, so your example of 52N3804, would be 53° 38' 04" North, for example (and NOT 53.3804° North).

If you have them as an excel file you should be able to write a simple formula to convert them into the format required by GPX, i.e. decimal degrees, with any latitudes W of Greenwich being negative, and any latitudes S of the equator being negative also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MunsterGeo

Not strictly related but probably the best place to ask witput starting a new thread...

What is the format of coordinates used in Geocaching? Is it decimal degrees or degrees / minutes / seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

MunsterGeo wrote: »
    Not strictly related but probably the best place to ask witput starting a new thread...

What is the format of coordinates used in Geocaching? Is it decimal degrees or degrees / minutes / seconds?

It's degrees and decimal minutes, I think.

This format anyway:
    N 53° 14.591
    W 006° 17.887

Advertisement