Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to register online and claim levy/tax credits/ refunds : Now Includes Forms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭jasonb

I do this every year, normally get about €150 back from Bin Charges and GP Bills. It takes 10 minutes and I get €150. What's not to like?

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kt1234

i want to use the ros to get my tax back so ive got the pin and have logged in but just dont know where to go from there ive got claims back as far as 2005 but im cluessless as to where to go and what to do in the website im not finding it very user friendly at all any help please and thank you??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I had deleted your query but you know what I think I'll leave it as an example.

I can only show you the door Neo you have to walk through. You're going to need to know what credits you are entitled to claim. I suggest you do a bit of reading on the Revenue website on the links above.

Then click on the years on thewebsite, this will bring up options to tick the boxes to claim the credits and then you can hit submit- you'll get it eventually. I didn't find it that hard to navigate.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

FYI - The site's had a major overhaul now and I believe is far more user-friendly. The layout is more intuitive and there's a link with each tax credit explaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

How do you know how tax back is calculated. I claimed for bin chrgs trade union. And for the yrs 2005 up. Got 3times more than i expected (not complaining)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

How long does it usually take from the time the claim is entered to receiving the tax back? I put in for rent relief and doctors fee's last month for last year and haven't got anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

greenman09 wrote: »
    How do you know how tax back is calculated. I claimed for bin chrgs trade union. And for the yrs 2005 up. Got 3times more than i expected (not complaining)

As far as I can gather, this is how it goes (roughly)
    At the beginning of each tax year, you are giving a tax certificate based on your personal circumstances. This works out a weekly tax credit based on you working the full 52 weeks of the following year.

Any changes to the year (ie you are out sick for a few weeks), means you didnt get some of your weekly tax credits, so you will owed a few bob.

On top of this, your tax credit should go up if you have any extras to throw in, ie bin charges, trade union subs, loans etc. So if you have any of these and they arent on the tax cert at start of the year, you are owed a few bob as well.

On thing I really noticed a difference was the medical insurance. My employer plays this for me, but I am still entitled to claim tax relief on it, so wasnt i a happy camper when a got a check back for over a grand last year cos i didnt claim this for last 4 years.
    Check it out, it cud be worth a nice bumper cheque in the post if its applicable to you.

The new website is allot more user friendly, play around with it for a week or so before using it to make any changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clare in Exile

I’m going through medical expenses and backdating back to 2005. I came across a quote from a Revenue spokeswoman saying that “taxpayers could claim in respect of 2005, 2006, 2007 or 2008. However, backdating your claims can be a little confusing, as the relief is claimed on a preceding year basis. This means that claims for 2005 will involve expenses incurred in 2004”.

Does this mean that when applying online, and filling in details for 2005, I will actually be providing details from medical expenses incurred in 2004?

I thought it would be a case that if you are claiming for 2005, then you are providing details for expenses incurred in 2005?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated…

I’m going through medical expenses and backdating back to 2005. I came across a quote from a Revenue spokeswoman saying that “taxpayers could claim in respect of 2005, 2006, 2007 or 2008. However, backdating your claims can be a little confusing, as the relief is claimed on a preceding year basis. This means that claims for 2005 will involve expenses incurred in 2004”.

Does this mean that when applying online, and filling in details for 2005, I will actually be providing details from medical expenses incurred in 2004?

I thought it would be a case that if you are claiming for 2005, then you are providing details for expenses incurred in 2005?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated…

IF you have medical bills for 2009, you claim for them as soon as it turns 2010. So right now you claim for any expenses you incurred during 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clare in Exile

Thanks for that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

Im just wondering, since i can't remember from last year. when will I get my P60 so I can go through the process on the PAYE website? I know it wasn't long after Xmas that I got it but I'm not sure if its the same since I'm in a new job since September
    I got a hefty amount back last year due to medical expenses and unfort I need to claim again.

If anyone knows when I should get it that'd be great

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

If using ROS, you can use your last payslip from December which will have the same data as your p60! It worked for me last year.

Anyone know what the story is with the bin charges credit? Is the amount to be claimed max at 20% of 400 euro?

morrga wrote: »
    If using ROS, you can use your last payslip from December which will have the same data as your p60! It worked for me last year.

Anyone know what the story is with the bin charges credit? Is the amount to be claimed max at 20% of 400 euro?

when you are claiming bin charges, the max amount you can enter is 400
    the system does the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 9 delicatebalance

I've been paying the bin charges for years but stupidly never kept the tags as proof as I wasn't aware of this. Do they ask you to produce the tags?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Does anyone else have a problem when submitting changes and then looging on in a few days and they've disappeared again. One thing is flat rate expenses- they keep disappearing and also the addresses for rent relief. Its really frustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rafano5

I have been living in Ireland for 8 yrs and have not claimed rent allowance. Can this back dated or how can I apply for same? Does anyone know the number to call for claiming tax back? I am a PAYE worker. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Petter

I am trying to claim medical expenses, but tax people don't send me a new PIN. I have trying to get one for 2 months through website, but they never send me any letter. Anyone else have problems with this? I tried to call the customer service number, but message said they are takink industrial action, so no help there.

I presume my only option is to find tax office and fill the papers, if they are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fighterman

Has anyone successfully claimed a tax rebate in 2010?

During Christmas 2009, I helped a few friends of mine fill in forms to claim back rent relief owing to them for the last four years. They have heard nothing at all back since, presumably due to industrial action.

Forms are a waste of time. Do it electronically and put in your bank account details and it comes through fine.

Thank God for computers, at least they work.

If we could only figure a way of making all of Revenue computerised and fire all those wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fighterman

Rent Relief can't be claimed online, requires the individual's signature on the printed PDF.

• Advertisement

Forms are a waste of time. Do it electronically and put in your bank account details and it comes through fine.

Thank God for computers, at least they work.

If we could only figure a way of making all of Revenue computerised and fire all those wasters.

+1

I have been doing it online for a few years, and the rebate only takes a week. Forms are a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

fighterman wrote: »
    Rent Relief can't be claimed online, requires the individual's signature on the printed PDF.

I had problems with this too. It would constantly throw up the same error, even if I waited days or weeks between attempts. In the end, I just printed out the form and sent it into them. Still waiting to get my refund though!

Rent Relief can't be claimed online, requires the individual's signature on the printed PDF

Nonsense- I claimed it myself this year online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

I applied to get a pin# on Revenue.ie almost 2 weeks ago but still haven't got it...how long does it usually take?

TripleAce wrote: »
    I applied to get a pin# on Revenue.ie almost 2 weeks ago but still haven't got it...how long does it usually take?

over a week, thats all
    but isnt there a work to rule these days in gov offices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

alibabba wrote: »
    over a week, thats all
    but isnt there a work to rule these days in gov offices

Got it today! Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I submitted my claim for health expenses on the PAYE Anytime system in mid January and this still hasn't been paid into my bank account. Are things slowed up that much with work to rule and the like?

Oh heck yes- paper forms - nothing being done- they were always slow- now they just have an excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Petter

I submitted my claim for health expenses on the PAYE Anytime system in mid January and this still hasn't been paid into my bank account. Are things slowed up that much with work to rule and the like?

I finally got my PIN last week and claimed health/refuse bills. 2-3 days later I got the money on my bank account. Brilliant service, I am happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Wenlock

Hi Mr. Incognito,

I saw you just closed my thread asking for advice and told me to look in this thread. I could be wrong, it's hard to tell, but it sounded like you were complaining that I didn't look around first for an answer. I did look at your thread first but it wasn't any help so I asked for more advice.

I have the form but, like I said in my post, my employer won't complete his side of the form and sign it. I can't do much if I don't have the completed form.

Boards.ie used to be a friendly place but it doesn't seem like that anymore. It's a pity cause it used to be a great place to find information and chat to people in a similar position but it seems to have changed a lot.

Advertisement