Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazz & Blues venues

• 24-11-2004 5:02pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

• J.J. Smyth's
      12 Aungier Street, Dublin
      Jazz & Blues every night of the week except Wednesdays; Irish Blues Club on Tuesdays, Pendulum Jazz club on Sundays
      €7/€8 for admission

• The Boom Boom Room
      Patrick Conway's Pub
      70 Parnell Street, Dublin
      Thursday night jazz, also Friday, Saturday & Sunday - check website for gigs
      Generally around €8 admission

• Wrights pub
      Swords, Dublin
      Sunday afternoon jazz

• Henry Grattan pub
      Lower Baggot Street, Dublin
      Various jazz every Sunday evening 5-7pm
      Admission free

• Sheehan's pub
      17 Chatham Street, Dublin
      Louis Stewart Quartet upstairs every Monday night

• Cafe en Seine
      Dawson Street, Dublin
      Jazz Sunday afternoons, Big Band night every Monday
      Admission free (they make up for it with the price of a pint!)

• Alfie Byrne's
      Below the Conrad Hotel, Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin
      Louis Stewart Quartet every Saturday night, 8pm
      Admission free (nice pub too)

• O'Donovan's Hotel
      Pearse Street, Clonakilty, Cork
      Jazz & Blues Wednesday evenings

• Galway Jazz Club
      Richardson's, Eyre Square, Galway
      Tuesday nights, doors 8:30pm

There must be plenty of places I've missed - if you know of somewhere, post it up! And not just Dublin, there's jazz & blues all over the country. Also let us know if any of the places already listed are particularly good or bad...

Please keep this sticky tidy, post only places & times - any discussions will be deleted, as they should be in a new thread instead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

not 100%... but, been told the gaiety(sp.?) theatre has live jazz nites and a late bar on weekends... mightn't be true but worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

just found this.
    It is also one of the few places that still have enough space to have a comfortable drink after the pubs have shut, containing as it does five superb bars. What could be a better backdrop to a cabaret of Jazz and Soul than the redolent leather and mahogany of the John B. Keane Bar. This fusion of sound and spectacle is mirrored in the screening of the finest in classic cult movies in the theatre's auditorium.

but no times or days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Try the international Bar on Tuesday nights. I believe its a good jazz session although I've never actually made it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

The Mezz on Eustace St (opp. the IFC / FII)
    Saturday 6:30-8:30

There is a blues / blues brother style thing from 9pm

Westin Hotel,
    Westmoreland St
    Sunday afternoons

Gubu
    Capel St.
    Know someone who did had a regular session there, not sure of night

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Oh that's right, a group from the Trinity Jazz Society do sessions in Gubu every Tuesday night around 9pm, admission free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

On Sunday afternoons in Chief O'Neills of Smithfield there's Jazz. Can't remember the time right now, but I've been a few times and really enjoyed it.

They do a lot of Jango Reinhart's style of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Bert Fever

Jazz @ 40 Foot Dun Laoghaire

There is live jazz every Sunday at 4-6pm in the 40 Foot bar in Dun Laoghaire. Opposite the dart station.

Guitar - Bass - Drums - Vocals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

The Boom Boom Room on Parnell St, JJ Smyths on Aungier St and The Wellington on Baggott St would be the best places for all the latest in jazz with consistant new projects from local musicians. The BBR & JJ Smyths regularly host visiting international musicians also.
    To be honest, a lot of the Sunday afternoon jazz spots are geared towards more straight ahead Jazz, in some places its just ambient background music while you eat so to speak. While not to detract from these places at all (some may like their jazz like this) people looking to hear fresh material and new ideas in a more progressive and current sense should check out the 3 main venues / clubs above. Asthetically speaking the BBR is the nicest venue. Nice room with intimate candle lit vibe.
    Hope this helps.
    Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

The Purty Kitchen on a Sunday night has the Anchor Band and a guest. I saw louis stewart there and it was only a fiver in and he was amasing!! The Anchor Band are pretty good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

They are gonna start doing Jazz nights in Sin off Dame Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭Esel

JJ Smyth's, Aungier St. Ph: 475 2565. Check out the free listing mags - Event Guide, In Dublin. About €7 in. Jazz on Wed, Thur (I *think*). Not sure about Monday.

They have a good Blues night every Tues (Irish Blues Club check www). First Tues each month is jam night and can be great - lots of variety. Also have blues on Fri and Sat nights.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 armBand

Are they still doing an open Jazz night in the Pale up by Christchurch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

blues on saturday nights in the ha'penny bridge inn just off temple bar. staff are really nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JoeQ

does anyone know of any places in cork to hear some good stuff? i'm pretty sick of pop covers and trad everywhere!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭Esel

JoeQ wrote:
    does anyone know of any places in cork to hear some good stuff? i'm pretty sick of pop covers and trad everywhere!!!

Check out http://www.hankwedel.com/ the band is called 'Open Kitchen'. Contact info is on the 'Album and Booking Info' link. They are based in Cork, and may do a regular gig there. You won't be disappointed!

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote:
    Check out http://www.hankwedel.com/ the band is called 'Open Kitchen'. Contact info is on the 'Album and Booking Info' link. They are based in Cork, and may do a regular gig there. You won't be disappointed!
    i know of hank wedel from the OLD meeting place in midleton, we lost that and now were losing the lobby. a venue where you can just walk in a hear something different and interesting is badly needed down south... especially in cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Hank's class alright, well worth a listen, but i'm not sure its jazz/blues??..
    he does a regular with ray barron on a monday night in charlies on union quay.

Charlies does do actual jazz music some saturday nights (nothing regular)

some bands you might want to look out for are the
    bleeding blues band (very good imho) i've only seen them twice, both times in the everyman midnight gigs
    Barefoot blues band, they don't play that often, but they're good all the same (although their set could do with some variety)

and there was a band named after Django reinhart that used to play cork fairly frequently, but i haven't seen them in ages, they were very very good, and very unappreciated, the last gig i was at had about 8 people in the entire bar..

yeah, hank would be more of the folky/bluegrass vein alright.
    charlies does have some great bands but it does get very cramped very quickly.
    i'm hearing a lot about the everymans late nights but still haven't gone, ithink thats a mission for this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 McFairyland

I know that the Zanzibar used to do a 6-8pm Jazz thingy on a Sunday night.....dont know if they still do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 McFairyland

Has the Boom Boom room got a nice atmosphere and whats the service and prices like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Just saw the last post now. Been a while since I've been on the boards. Yes the BBR has a great atsmophere. As with all gigs, its people that really contribute to a good vibe in a place, but the room is perfectly suited to jazz acoustic based music. Provided there is a good crowd in..you really can't beat it! :-) But it is hard sometimes to get people out to jazz gigs. I don't know why for such a music orientated cicty. There are tons of phenomenal young local players playing jazz today that really blow me away..more than there ever have been...yet its hard to get numbers in a lot of times. A waste of an amazing gig in many cases.. Why don't more people check out these gigs? I'll never know.. Its sad really.

Standard Pub prices on drinks etc.
    Gig list is here: http://www.theboomboomroom.tv

Q.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭ Grady Quiet Show

Try the international Bar on Tuesday nights. I believe its a good jazz session although I've never actually made it myself.

very good gig , was at it two weeks ago , great vibe as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fionntan

Heard there's a jazz and blues bar just opened on Capel Street. Bleu Note it's called. Anyone been there yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭punky

Fionntan, I walked by the bleu note on Capel st. the other night (a Saturday) and it sounded really good. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to drop in but I'm definitely gonna check it out at some stage.

I also happened upon a good live blues band above Slattery's in Rathmines last Saturday night.

JJ Symths on Thursdays (band = Isotope) is definitely the best I've seen in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ChuckE

The Harbour Bar, Bray.

Great Jazz/Blues every second Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GalwayJazzClub

Hi there,

Just to let you all know that the GAlway Jazz Club is now usually on in the Cellar Bar (Eglington Street, Galway) approx once a month.

We can only use that room Tuesday so occasionaly we move, (like this Thursday, Julien Wilson Trio in the Crane Bar, and next Thursday in the Aula Maxima Christian Wallumod Ensemble (SWEDEN) in association with Music For Galway.

Check www.galwayjazzclub.com for details or to join up to the mailing list, send a message to 'info@Galwayjazzclub.com' with 'mailing list' as the subject.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Miss No Name

A new jazz bar has opened at the end of Capel st - near the UGC cinema, its a cool place. There is also a Polish/European restaruant downstairs.

I have been there and its a great little spot. Not sure how 'discovered' it is, but it nearly makes it better because its not over-run with people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fineospaul

The Bleu Note - http://www.bleunoteclub.com/

As Miss No Name said it really is a Great Spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TylerDD

Bleu note sounds like a really good spot- whats the crowd like that goes there, is it real relaxed? i lived well out of town so would want it to be worth the trip in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Jazz at 4 Dame Lane just opposite the central bank in Dublin every Sunday. 5-8pm. €7 entry at the door/ €5 concessions.

www.kaboomcollective.com

Advertisement