Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Animosity towards unpaid geocaching.com members

• 10-02-2013 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed this before on geocaching.com? People scoff at the unpaid members as freeloaders and spungers. I don't post in the forums anymore because of it and it looks to be nearly 90% premium members. Personally I don't feel the urge to pay $29.99 a year for it, I click on the few ads to help keep the site going and then throw the adblock back on.

I don't really understand why premium members would get worked up over people happily staying on the standard membership. I don't cache enough to get value out of the premium membership either. There aren't loads of caches in my area and I could go months without bothering to find one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Has anyone noticed this before on geocaching.com? People scoff at the unpaid members as freeloaders and spungers. I don't post in the forums anymore because of it and it looks to be nearly 90% premium members. Personally I don't feel the urge to pay $29.99 a year for it, I click on the few ads to help keep the site going and then throw the adblock back on.

I don't really understand why premium members would get worked up over people happily staying on the standard membership. I don't cache enough to get value out of the premium membership either. There aren't loads of caches in my area and I could go months without bothering to find one.

Personally I don't post on the forums, so I cannot comment on that front. I am a premium myself, I joined prior to having a smartphone so it made sense at the time. That said I personally don't understand why people would have a problem. As with anything, the more people doing it the better right? There was a period when I played an MMO that was free to play with a subscription model and there was the same thing you describe there. Haters are going to hate I suppose. I wouldn't let it put you off posting in the forums though, thats letting the a$$holes win.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

I think unfortunately you get that with eveything.
    People who are heavy into it will pay the subscription to get the extra benefits
    But there is also no harm in the more casual Cache taking the free membership its there as an option

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I think the problem is that you're reading the official forums. In my experience it's full of annoying people that think they're better than anyone that doesn't have thousands of finds or hasn't been a member for years.

who was that aimed at

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Vaperus wrote: »
    who was that aimed at

Sh1tbag, he said he saw it on geocaching.com. It's my experience as well that some people that post on the forums there have a bit of a superiority complex to them.

• Advertisement

Thats the people though not the Forum, You well get that anywhere

Advertisement