Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royal Enfield

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Am getting a RE myself, the new Meteor 350 will be delivered in a few months.

The Interceptor and Himalayan seem to be the bikes that RE finally got their build quality issues sorted. I do love the look of the Interceptor TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Nabidana wrote: »
    I ended up buying a Tiger 800 last summer. Lovely bike and couldn't fault it. Plenty of power, comfortable, more agile than I thought it would be.

Sure I had grand visions of long weekend trips around Ireland and the UK, maybe further, but my wife and kids don't all fit on the bike. Apparently this is an issue...

So anyway, I've decided to sell the Tiger and go for what I should have got in the first place. The Interceptor 650.

Most of my spins are in and out of town. Of course the Tiger could do that no problem but just not as much fun (imvho) as the RE. Rode one a few weeks after getting Tiger. Knew then....

Conscious of an update to the Int/GT/Himmie this year along the lines of turn bu turn sat nav etc but sure, I know where I'm going.

Plan on purchasing as soon

Good for you! You won't regret it.

Interceptor is more than up to weekend trips btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

I have a 2019 Himalayan......

Would you recommend the Himalayan, WW?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Would you recommend the Himalayan, WW?

I certainly would. I love it. Reliable, simple, light, low seat height. It does what I like doing superbly. I've had it for almost two years now. All my riding is for pleasure and it does a great job for me. As soon as circumstances allow Him and I are heading to Portugal to do the ACT. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ACT?

Edit: just noticed Makikomi closed his account, ah jaysus. :(

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

I certainly would. I love it. Reliable, simple, light, low seat height. It does what I like doing superbly. I've had it for almost two years now. All my riding is for pleasure and it does a great job for me. As soon as circumstances allow Him and I are heading to Portugal to do the ACT. Can't wait.

My Dads neighbor traded his R1200GS for a kitted out Himalayan, he loves it!
    Was a very comfortable bike when I gave it a try up and down the road near the house.

He's wired in a few bits to the bike already including ABS switch so he can turn the ABS on and off as needed.

Cheers WW.

I'm swaying towards the Himalayan myself. It kind of does everything. I'd like to start doing a bit offroad. No crazy stuff like jumps etc, just forest paths.

I could stick nobblies on my Tiger 800 but it is a big heavy bike. If I go with the Interceptor that rules out the bit of ADV fun.

Do you find the Himi very limiting on the open road? I'd never go over 120 on the biggest roads and am not into speed at all so don't think the low power would bother me that much. Still a concern though.

For a little over 6K it is incredible value for a brand new bike.

Cheers for getting back to me, WW.

goblin59 wrote: »
    Was a very comfortable bike when I gave it a try up and down the road near the house.

He's wired in a few bits to the bike already including ABS switch so he can turn the ABS on and off as needed.

A fair change from the R1200 to a 411cc Himalayan.

I've read the hand and engine guards that come as part of the "adventure" set are poor quality. Better off getting a better 3rd party set.

Would he agree?

A fair change from the R1200 to a 411cc Himalayan.

I've read the hand and engine guards that come as part of the "adventure" set are poor quality. Better off getting a better 3rd party set.

Would he agree?

Weight and height were a big factor in the decision. if your taking a bike on trails, being able to pick it up multiple times without doing your back in is a huge plus.

Myself and Dad both have a DR650se and the difference between them and his R1200gs is unreal when on twisties (until your on the motorway)

Yeah I think he got Bark busters for his bike,
    The engine guards are ok from what I remember, theyre mainly for mounting the Aux petrol tanks though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Rented a Himalayan for several days when I was in Asia and for a big galoot like me it was more than enough. The big world-crossing adventure bikes are amazing but you shouldn't forget that a rudimentary machine can still do the business. I had CRF150 for several days too and that was more than enough to keep me and a backpack moving.

I do love a RE though. I'm always keen to find a solid Bullet to restore and keep. I took a 350 around Nepal back in 2012 and it went high into the Himalayas without much trouble.

Funnily enough, I went from an R1200GSA to an F650GS Dakar and then the Himalayan. When I had the GSA and the GSD I used to get the wave from GS's but since I got the Himalayan they don't wave :D:D:D

How long ago did he trade? Mine, a BS4, was replaced by the BS6 last year and has switchable ABS.

What general part of the country is he?

Cheers WW.

I'm swaying towards the Himalayan myself. It kind of does everything. I'd like to start doing a bit offroad. No crazy stuff like jumps etc, just forest paths.

I could stick nobblies on my Tiger 800 but it is a big heavy bike. If I go with the Interceptor that rules out the bit of ADV fun.

I've done mild off-roading ever since I got my first GS in 2000. After my first set of tyres wore out on the Himalayan I put TKC 80s on. I've used them for 20 years and they're ok on tarmac. A lot of tracks in Wicklow remain muddy most of the year.
    Do you find the Himi very limiting on the open road? I'd never go over 120 on the biggest roads and am not into speed at all so don't think the low power would bother me that much. Still a concern though.

Yes, it is but I have the r1150r for that and you have the Tiger!! I've covered some relatively long journeys on the Himalayan but would NEVER ever consider taking it on a motorway for a long journey. For example, if I ever get to Portugal for the ACT (tried 3 times at this stage and failed. 1-friend hurt his knee, we cancelled. 2-Brittany Ferries cancelled the sailing. 3- Covid) we'll work out a route to get there that will exclude all motorways and major roads in Ireland and Spain.

Give me a boreen, a forest track, an unpaved lane, and the Himalayan, and I'm as happy as...

Deposit out down in RE Himalayan today.

Granite grey. A beautiful bike.

Big step down in power from my Tiger but it'll do what I need.

Looking forward to getting it next month.

BS6?

BS6?

No.

They're not due in until late summer and I don't think the upgrades are worth the wait.

Plus I've no bike at the moment.

probably a big step down in weight as well and a step up in fuel economy

probably a big step down in weight as well and a step up in fuel economy

That's true alright.

Looking forward to hitting some mountain paths on it I must say.

The fact it's light enough is good as I could be picking it up a bit no doubt.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    If you find any near south dublin/wicklow can you let me know. I am still not able to find something light to take my bike to

taking the NSR125 trail riding?

If you find any near south dublin/wicklow can you let me know. I am still not able to find something light to take my bike to

I'm down here in Tipperary nestled between the Galtee and Knockmealdown mountains so won't be any help on that front I'm afraid.

West Wicklow might be able to help?

• Advertisement

:pac: Nah I have a CB500X as a daily (daily isnt really a thing anymore for me but you know what I mean)

haha the hobby bike now :p
    havn't seen too many of the CB500X around.

My friend bought the Rallyraid kit for his, suspension upgrades and spoked tubeless wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

The interceptor looks really nice. I would definitely consider it if you could get a blacked out version. The Meteor looks gorgeous blacked out. Hopefully they might follow suit with the interceptor soon.

Actually, was googling it over the weekend. Apparently RE in Italy brought out some limited editions blacked out.

They look way better than the chrome versions in my opinion.

And the interceptor!

Hey guys,

I have narrowed it down to two bikes for my next bike.

Interceptor 650 or Triumph Scrambler.

Am going test riding a Scrambler tomorrow.

Would love to have a spin on an Interceptor 650 to compare it with. I've sat in them and they're fab.

But it's a lot of money to spend on a bike I've never ridded.

Anyone around Dublin tomorrow that could let me take a spin on one?

I can provide license/passport/kids whatever to show I'm genuine.

I will also have insurance if I can get a bike to ride.

I know it's a long shot, but said I'd try it anyway.

Thanks
    NBD

Hey guys,

I have narrowed it down to two bikes for my next bike.

Interceptor 650 or Triumph Scrambler.

Am going test riding a Scrambler tomorrow.

Would love to have a spin on an Interceptor 650 to compare it with. I've sat in them and they're fab.

But it's a lot of money to spend on a bike I've never ridded.

Anyone around Dublin tomorrow that could let me take a spin on one?

I can provide license/passport/kids whatever to show I'm genuine.

I will also have insurance if I can get a bike to ride.

I know it's a long shot, but said I'd try it anyway.

Thanks
    NBD

If you are considering buying one, why not pop into Bike world and see if they have a demo model for you to try.
    They would be selling you the bike anyway?

If you are considering buying one, why not pop into Bike world and see if they have a demo model for you to try.
    They would be selling you the bike anyway?

No demo, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Am getting a RE myself, the new Meteor 350 will be delivered in a few months.

The Interceptor and Himalayan seem to be the bikes that RE finally got their build quality issues sorted. I do love the look of the Interceptor TBH.

Still waiting on this one...hopefully it will finally arrive in the next 2 weeks - the patience is completely worn out.

The Missenden Flyer put up a review of the Meteor this morning.

May be of interest to some here.

• Advertisement

Hmm did he pull it down? I dont see it

This is the only one I can find but it's 5 months old and not a test ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG383qOuTH4&t=30s

Advertisement