Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amtico LVT flooring

• 06-03-2021 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi I currently have tiles in my hall, kitchen, utility and downstairs toilet all just the generic cream colour tiles developers loved in 2006. I am just wondering does anyone know if its possible to lay Amtico flooring over the tiles (they do have some texture to them) or do they have to be removed first and then the floor all made perfectly smooth?
    I'm a while away from this yet but saving hard to do some house renovations in next 2 yrs and I'm trying to get a handle on my budget and my options etc. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Thinking of something similar so will be following with interest. My kitchen tiles are quite bumpy so resigned to having to take them up. Levelling compound over existing might be an option but I have an adjoining timber floor to replace too. Id have to screed up to 10 or 15mm to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I can’t give you a definite answer, but ours went down over an old wooden floor. I think they had to nail down new boards over the wooden floor, because there was something uneven about the floor, can’t remember the exact problem! I’m sure a quick call to any supplier will answer your question, I found the guys that did ours really helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Thank ye for the reply, I'll keep my fingers crossed that they don't have to be taken up but I'll definitely do whatever they recommend as its something I want to be looking at for the foreseeable future and not replacing again for a VERY long time. I do love the look of the LVT and I'm fed up of these gard to clean tiles. There is a laminate wood floor in the sitting room (through double doors) that id be hoping would be staying put

bertsmom wrote: »
    Thank ye for the reply, I'll keep my fingers crossed that they don't have to be taken up but I'll definitely do whatever they recommend as its something I want to be looking at for the foreseeable future and not replacing again for a VERY long time. I do love the look of the LVT and I'm fed up of these gard to clean tiles. There is a laminate wood floor in the sitting room (through double doors) that id be hoping would be staying put

I have to say I really like it! It’s definitely on my plans to put it in the kitchen too. Tbh, if I had my time back I’d put it all through the ground floor of our house. The one I chose shows marks quite easily, I probably could have picked a better one.

I'm not sure if its any help but most places (online) seem to say if you want a matte finish Amtico is the best choice but if you want a shiny finish Karndean is the better choice. Amtico seems to be more expensive but I think id prefer the matte finish as I feel it might be more resilient and not show as many scratches etc . Mind you my online research is saying that on one hand its fine to lay over existing tiles and others are saying its definitely not fine. Looking forward to retailers opening up again (even though I'm ages away from affording or being ready to get the work done)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

What sort of money are we talking about the Amtico LVT supply and fit roughly ? Seems quite expensive but is a beautiful product and something we will be looking at soon (or a cheaper alternative) for kitchen / living areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭tenbob1

Amtico can definitely not go straight over tiles. If the tile are secure/not cracking and height is not an issue then you can go straight over them with a smoothing compound and then the Amtico. Your best bet though is to talk to your local retailer when they reopen and they should go out to the house and do an assessment and costing for you.

Because each property/job and product is different and the preparation is so important, its impossible to give a catch all price.

~tb

Tenbob1 thanks a mill for the reply, I've come to realise that the way my kitchen floor is it's probably not going to happen.
    I've really textured tiles and quite a few are cracked as the floor laid below (screed?) wasn't properly prepared and level for the tiles to be laid in the first place so they will definitely have to be taken up and the floor beneath made level .
    I'm guessing this will be a huge chunk of my budget so I'm not sure whether I'll go for tiles or Amtico after.
    Thanks for the replies, appreciated.

Hi OP. I saw something today that made me think of this thread. Do you happen to follow Stacey Solomon on Instagram? She showed the new floor in her conservatory being laid today. It looked like amtico or similar. They put a leveller of some sort down over the old tiles and laid the vinyl tiles on top of it!

Oh thanks so much! I don't follow her but I'm off to do that just now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement