Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to area with oversubscribed schools

Options
  • 26-02-2021 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I'm trying to get the lay of the land here for a probable move we'll be making in summer 2022. We'll be moving from West of Ireland to Dublin.

My daughter will be due to start 1st class in sept 2022. The areas we're looking at have good but oversubscribed schools. Preferred area currently is glasnevin/drumcondra area. I'm not sure what the process is when moving schools but are we completely screwed in terms of getting into a school around there? We're not going to have an address there until we move so I guess can't apply formally until we have that?

I mean people have to move due to work and other reasons all the time so I guess it must be possible... Does anyone have any insight into this situation?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Your best bet is to email each school and see what the situation with them .

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Your best bet is to email each school and see what the situation with them .

Yea I was thinking that. Would they even entertain talking about something which is so far out when you don't even have an address in the area? Guess there's nothing to be lost by trying.

I had thought buying and selling houses would be the main source of stress in this move but it may in fact be this side of it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Why don’t you look at neighbours.ie and ask
    there ? Or local area fb sites - though you may not want to share your fb profile with all & sundry in your area. I see that done on my local fb site ( not G/D!). TBH I think if the local school is oversubscribed you write a choice of 3 and they allocate one to you. Then you try
    protesting. Might be better to petition/ schmoose the board/ secretary. My cousin hd this problwm and was looking at 3 kids in 3 different schools in his area and an impossible 3 way commute for each child in a different school - no fun in Dublin rushhour - especially in rush hour blackspot places like Glasnevin.

+ Where do all the kids from Ballymun go? For a start I’d be finding that out. No doubt that school is festooned with free breakfasts/computers/teaching aids for problematic children, after school clubs etc - but this may not be what you want for your children.

They are some great suggestions I hadn't thought of. Thank you!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Respectfully, can I ask you don’t “ schmooze the secretary “ or board . There are strict criteria to which the school must adhere - which is the fairest way for everyone . The enrolment policy has to be followed to the letter of the law - the only way that it can be challenged is through an official appeal where the school hasn’t followed the process as outlined .
    By all means ring the secretary - once. S/he has no power over enrolment and pestering them is only going to annoy them when they are flat out busy .

It’s often easier to get a place in an older class than in the infant classes , as some child may have changed schools and not have been replaced.

• Advertisement

Yea I have no intention of schmoozing anyone. It was more the Facebook page angle to garner a bit more info. Not a big social media user so hadn't thought about that.

I guess it will come down to ringing everyone to see the state of play. I'm not sure if it's worth doing that until nearer the time. I think it'll be a matter of just taking a leap and letting everything play out. There is a good few schools in the area judging by education.ie so if we're not too picky about religious affiliation something should hopefully appear.

Advertisement