Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Xenophile wrote: »
    No such thing as bad publicity............................!

Google "Irish Water Alan Kelly"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

How many times has the name "Alan Kelly" been mentioned on this thread................first requirement is name recognition!

I think he is getting there, if he pulls a few more strokes like a €1,000,000. for Clonmel and €500k for Thurles he will be well on the way.

Not to mention the 200 Eistec jobs announced for Clonmel earlier this week.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PearlJ

The reason Alan Kelly is mentioned so much on this forum is because you never shut up about him!

And he had about as much to do with Eishtec as I did! :D

PearlJ wrote: »
    The reason Alan Kelly is mentioned so much on this forum is because you never shut up about him!

This is what is called canvassing !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

This is what is called canvassing !

You do know that statement is going to be quoted back to you every time you sing his praises between now and the election :D

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »
    You do know that statement is going to be quoted back to you every time you sing his praises between now and the election :D

Of course it's a possibility, sure, but will it happen ? Somehow I have my doubts as most posters realise this is what forums are all about, expressing your views without fear and being brave enough to say that you will and can accept favours if you so wish.

I would like to see some posters here get of the fence and sing the praises of those whom they wish to see get elected !

This race is about to get very interesting. I am hearing that Marie Murphy is going to be put forward as a candidate. A big blow to Hayes and possibly Mattie.

Hayes will be furious. That'll split the South FG vote and give Coonan a chance at keeping the one FG seat. With the next government likely to be FG+Lab+Ind my feeling is Lowry & Kelly (both in effect being government TDs under that option) will hurt Coonan more in the North than Murphy would hurt Hayes but he won't be a happy camper.

It'll also have an interesting impact on Fianna Fail. Up to now Ambrose has been the only female candidate (I know there is some student who is apparently running as part of her political studies course but when it comes to paying for posters etc she'll pull out). On paper another woman would do her some harm. BUT if Hayes loses out and Coonan takes the FG seat AND if Ambrose is still alive at the time Hayes' transfers start to be distributed that could well be enough to push her ahead of Cahill & Smith Jr. There are a lot of ifs and buts in there though.

Don't think Mattie will mind. He has suddenly found god and swung to the conservative catholic vote. That'll probably be enough to shore up his base and he'll keep his seat (although it might annoy enough people to push him down from second). Where it could impact on him is his stated desire to rejoin FF after the election (as outlined on Claire Byrne's show a few months back). Now he did say that at a time when he was still assessing which bandwagon to jump on and now that he has jumped on the Jesus Saved Me option FF might not be on his agenda any more. But if he still plans to rejoin FF a new elected Ambrose might disrupt that.

My bet is still:
    Lowry
    Mattie
    Hayes
    Hard left (Healy/SF)
    Cahill/Kelly/Coonan

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PearlJ

Thanks Touts, was trying to edit my post and deleted it.

Marie would have a good following in her own area, outside of that she will struggle.

Any word on the other rumour that Richie Molloy will run for Renua?

Thanks Touts, was trying to edit my post and deleted it.

Marie would have a good following in her own area, outside of that she will struggle.

Any word on the other rumour that Richie Molloy will run for Renua?

That seems to have gone quite but as far as I know he is still their likely candidate mainly because he was the only one looking for the nomination. BUT it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't run anyone here and in many constituencies. Their launch has been a bit of a disaster and they must be well down on financial donations vs where they hoped to be. With a few sitting TDs and Senators and some already announced candidates the budget must be fairly stretched as it stands. Would they spend it on a candidate that really won't have a chance of winning a seat? I wouldn't if I was Lucinda.

Anyone know when they planned to hold the unveiling (I assume they won't bother with anything like a convention given that they don't really have members).

I think Fine Gael should try and find a woman candidate, I would not describe it as "gendermandering", but rather giving the electorate a chance to elect a woman to represent them by a party that's likely to be in Government.

Having said that I expect FG to take only one seat, with three candidates they may have to wait for the last seat, but they are certain to get one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

That seems to have gone quite but as far as I know he is still their likely candidate mainly because he was the only one looking for the nomination. BUT it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't run anyone here and in many constituencies. Their launch has been a bit of a disaster and they must be well down on financial donations vs where they hoped to be. With a few sitting TDs and Senators and some already announced candidates the budget must be fairly stretched as it stands. Would they spend it on a candidate that really won't have a chance of winning a seat? I wouldn't if I was Lucinda.

Anyone know when they planned to hold the unveiling (I assume they won't bother with anything like a convention given that they don't really have members).
    I agree they have been a disaster as a launch,they have had high profile defectors all ready.
    Eddie Hobbs doesn't know what he is doing and wont commit until he sees what way the wind is blowing and Jonathan Irvine who has stood down for health reasons but had some very dodgy views during interviews and I don't think he would have stood up to close scrutiny in the heat of election and another standing down over a grave yard not to mention Lucinda herself in a dogfight to hold her own seat.
    I think I would rather stand as an Independent until they either sort themselves out or go under.

Marie Murphy. Fine Gael Councillor from Clogheen has been added to the FG ticket.

Depending how she comes across in the campaign she could put pressure on Tom Hayes who is already in the Dail for 14 years. Especially if she picks up the women's vote in North Tipperary.

Too many seniors in grey suits already representing Tipperary to no good effect.

Alan Kelly could also benefit if the transfer pact between the parties is strong.

She could be one of the surprise packets of the Election!

I don't think she will be a surprise package. She'll likely be one of the first eliminated. She is mainly there to tick the gender box. But what she will be is a disruptive element that may kick the campaign into gear. So far Kelly,Mattie and Cahill have been the most active campaigners. Now Murphy is thrown into the mix like a little hand grenade. Hayes and Ambrose will be very pissed off and may finally start their campaigns. Certainly Hayes has to respond now or she'll eat into his vote and give Coonan a shot at the FG seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

You'd wonder how 'vigorous' will be the campaign of women like Murphy. I wouldn't be surprised if she's told to canvass in specific areas and for transfers to hayes.

There was an interesting discussion on the Tipperary constituency on Morning Ireland. It seemed to be based on polling data.

1. Lowery is safe
    2. There is a FG seat and that looks to be Hayes.
    3. Kelly is in a real battle with Morris from Sinn Fein to keep his seat and may have to rely on the voting pact with FG to get him over the line when Coonan is eliminated.
    4. There is a FF seat and it is between Cahill and Smith Jr. Smith Jr is slightly ahead. No mention of Ambrose so she must not be registering on the polls.
    5. Battle between some "big candidates" like Healy and Mattie for their seats. Mattie may be in trouble if FF takes a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

Well Hayes will never get my vote again. He told me a lot of porkies. As a farmer he got a nice reward that directly helps his business. His party raised inheritance tax for the plebs and lowered it for the farmers. No FG will ever get my vote again.
    Mattie and Seamus at least put a lot of effort in, their energy astounds me.
    I just hope we get an election date soon and that we all get the candidates to swear to their proposed mandates. Some hope I know.

There was an interesting discussion on the Tipperary constituency on Morning Ireland. It seemed to be based on polling data.

1. Lowery is safe
    2. There is a FG seat and that looks to be Hayes.
    3. Kelly is in a real battle with Morris from Sinn Fein to keep his seat and may have to rely on the voting pact with FG to get him over the line when Coonan is eliminated.
    4. There is a FF seat and it is between Cahill and Smith Jr. Smith Jr is slightly ahead. No mention of Ambrose so she must not be registering on the polls.
    5. Battle between some "big candidates" like Healy and Mattie for their seats. Mattie may be in trouble if FF takes a seat.

The RTE website has a post on this as part of their 32 things Paddy wants to know about the election. It has a little more detail than was mentioned or I caught on the discussion yesterday:
    [URL="[URL]http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1006/732503-32-things-paddy-wants-to-know-about-the-general-election/"]http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1006/732503-32-things-paddy-wants-to-know-about-the-general-election/[/URL[/URL]]

A lot of it I agree with BUT I think there are some flaws in their data and therefore their assumptions. Most of their discussion, and therefore probably most of the polling data they are using seems to be focused on Tipperary North. They are approaching this from the point of view that Tipperary North was a weather vane constituency so I suspect they have mainly talked to people in the North of the constituency and are missing some important info from the South. I don't think Mattie will go as quietly into the night as they seem to think he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

This is perfect for Mattie!
    The 'Mattie might be in trouble' narrative will certainly help him.

As for Ritchie Molloy being a candidate for Renua, well he's just not credible is he?

He has travelled from Fianna Fail to the Progressive Democrats to the Mattie McGrath organisation, where it appears he got little help from the great one and was lucky to scrape a seat in the Clonmel - Cahir district.

He's a great lad for the carer's association n'all but Renua would be better off to find a recently retired, fairly articulate Tipp hurler to throw into the ring.

Expunge wrote: »

As for Ritchie Molloy being a candidate for Renua, well he's just not credible is he?

He has travelled from Fianna Fail to the Progressive Democrats to the Mattie McGrath organisation, where it appears he got little help from the great one and was lucky to scrape a seat in the Clonmel - Cahir district.

He's a great lad for the carer's association n'all but Renua would be better off to find a recently retired, fairly articulate Tipp hurler to throw into the ring.

Lucinda & Eddie may well have looked at Ritchie's CV and came to the same conclusion you did. I'm increasingly convinced Renua won't run anyone in Tipperary. They just don't have the money to run someone in every constituency and with the growing possibility that the election will be called next week after the budget they would want to have their candidates in place by then just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Expunge wrote: »

Ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

I don't mean to be too catty and he seems to be a very decent person but his political bed-hopping over the last number of years would lead you to wonder about what he does stand for - aside from his own political fortunes and the Carer's Association.

Thanks to"touts" for his post here # 168.

As the link does not appear to be working I have googled same as per the copy and paste job below.

The weather vane constituency of Tipperary North is no more. Now there is a single five-seater, thus one of the six TDs will definitely be booted out. What's more, this is a constituency where Sinn Féin stands a good chance of winning a seat with Nenagh postman Séamie Morris. The party's local election results here were impressive. The exact opposite was the case for the Labour Party. This could spell trouble for the constituency's Cabinet minister Alan Kelly. But his base around the greater Nenagh area is seen as relatively solid.

The Fine Gael and Labour voting pact is viewed as being a significant factor here. If Fine Gael's Noel Coonan were to be eliminated before Mr Kelly, that would considerably boost the Labour Party deputy leader's chances of holding his seat.

All polling data from here (revealed in hushed tones by party apparatchiks) has Michael Lowry comfortably winning a seat, ditto one Fine Gaeler, most likely Tom Hayes, and also the return of one Fianna Fáil seat. This would most likely be Michael Smith Junior, although momentum is building in his running mate Jackie Cahill's campaign.

Sitting independent TDs Mattie McGrath and Seamus Healy are formidable forces in the south of the county, with both difficult to discount. But could a possible Fianna Fáil seat gain here eat into the vote that Mr McGrath won at the expense of his former party last time? Quite possibly yes.

Prediction: Lowry, Hayes, Smith, Healy, and Morris or Kelly.

Has the Vincent Browne people's debate hit tipp yet?

Alan Kelly "a Boyo" or Bio, extract taken "Village" 30th. May 2015.

Kelly is probably best known as a blow-hard recognised even within his own party as AK47 for his slingshot machismo, the lad who told Mattie McGrath to **** off in the Dáil. He is allegedly the dynamo who may power the Labour Party out of its crisis-resolving martyrdom, as angry tyro and, soon, as leader. Sometimes Alan can appear almost menacing, though in the context of Labour Party burnout, that passes for a positive.

Surprisingly, Kelly, who comes from an old Labour family, has a distinguished academic background and CV. He earned an MPhil from Boston College, and a diploma in leadership and a masters in business studies, he was the founding chair of the Kemmy Branch of Labour in UCC, was Chair of Labour Youth and became an e-business manager for Bord Fáilte before being elected to the Seanad’s agricultural panel in 2007.

He impressed many to become MEP for Ireland South in 2009, beating the truculent if declining Spring dynasty’s Arthur, and then scraped in as TD in Tipperary North in 2011, while doubling Labour’s vote.

Having been a Senator and MEP, Kelly shimmied up the junior ministerial ladder on his first election as TD in 2011 becoming Minister of State for Public and Commuter Transport under Leo Varadkar. His specific brief was the 2009 ‘Smarter Travel’ policy which had clear 2020 targets to reduce climate emissions, congestion and pollution, and to increase public transport and cycling use. However, the Interdepartmental Working Group required to provided biennial reports on progress on the Smarter Travel targets was not set up. Public-transport investment was largely abandoned and Dublin congestion was made worse by the approval of two extra lanes on the M7 Naas to Newbridge. EPA reports show increases in the ratio of diesel cars to petrol increased climate emissions by over 2% in 2013 over 2012 levels, and air pollution now breaches World Health Organisation guidelines, with the measures recommended by the EPA not carried out. For example, Dublin Bus continues to buy polluting vehicles rather that the best available emission-efficient standard.

Kelly’s record in Transport made it clear he was no tree-hugger.

Last year he swept aside all-comers to become deputy leader of the Labour Party winning 51.5% of the vote in a contest with Michael McCarthy, Ciara Conway and Sean Sherlock. He took charge of the Department of the Environment and Local Government (DoECLG).

Kelly’s first act as Minister was to defuse the water crisis. In doing so he deployed formidable guile – making sure to bore his antagonists with repeated obfuscation about ‘timelines’ without any sense of ideology or perspective on the common good: “While the timelines may have been dictated by the Troika, we all accept at this stage that they were simply too ambitious. I fully accept this. While I was not a member of cabinet at the time, it is important that as a Government we acknowledge that errors were made – the timelines, the complex nature of the charging structure and poor communications by Irish Water. Many people are preparing for bills in the region of €800. Nobody will be paying these levels for their water. Let me repeat that, nobody will be paying these levels for their water services”.

Alan Kelly would not be the man to explain the ‘polluter pays’ principle that underpins environmental economics, to recalcitrants.

In the end of course it was resolved that householders will be liable for charges of €160 for single-adult homes and €260 for all other homes, while water conservation grants of €100 a year mean the effective costs will be €60 and €160 respectively and it has recently been announced that no-one will be jailed for payment default. For good and bad Kelly killed the issue, even if tens of thousands of diehards continue to protest the principle at occasional marches in Dublin.

Kelly’s ideology is best summed up in an interview he gave to the Sunday Independent where he noted that Labour was a “party of workers that support people who want to work, people who are unemployed, but want to work’’. He warned that the economic policies of Sinn Féin and the far Left would condemn the unemployed to a lifetime on social welfare. The ideology if it can be called that is entirely compatible with that of Margaret Thatcher’s Conservative party. But the message is delivered pugnaciously by a street-wise 39-year-old with gel in his hair.

Kelly and his party wanted the environment brief to forward their priority policy: social housing. In November 2014, Kelly launched the Government’s Social Housing Strategy: 2020, a six-year strategy intended to deliver over 110,000 social housing tenancies through the provision of 35,000 new social housing units, at a cost of €3.8bn, and to meet the housing needs of some 75,000 households through the housing assistance payment and the rental accommodation schemes. There will be a major acceleration of local authority direct construction and acquisition. A further €300m will be provided by way of public private partnerships. The focus overall is on quantity and little mention is made of the quality of the housing. Moreover, as the Irish Times recently noted, the Minister regurgitates the €3.8bn announcement in the presence of different County Managers so many times that it has become something of a joke.

Alan Kelly "a Boyo" or Bio, extract taken "Village" 30th. May 2015.

Kelly is probably ......blah blah blah blah.

Will every candidate get to put up a lengthy propaganda "bio"? I hope not.

Will every candidate get to put up a lengthy propaganda "bio"? I hope not.

I hope so, every politician is aware of the part that social media is playing in politics.

Of course the more information intending voters have on their candidates the better, especially younger voters who would not be very familiar with all the candidates since the amalgamation of the two constituencies.

Promote the candidate or candidates of your choice without any propaganda please!

Promote the candidate or candidates of your choice without any propaganda please!

You're getting more amusing by the day:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

For my two cents worth, I hope Liebour and farmergael don't exist after the election. No propagada needed, I leave that to them :-)

I hope so, every politician is aware of the part that social media is playing in politics.

Of course the more information intending voters have on their candidates the better, especially younger voters who would not be very familiar with all the candidates since the amalgamation of the two constituencies.

Come the election I'd be happy for every candidate's manifesto to be posted here for comparison. I'm not so sure about puff pieces like that one about Alan Kelly. Too many of those would destroy the usefulness of the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

A truly uninspiring bunch of candidates for us next time around. Then again, when has it ever been different?

Advertisement