Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are people so quick to slate people with degrees?

2»

Comments

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    You could start in a supermarket at 15 years of age and technically be running it in ten years if you played your cards right and worked hard. It might be difficult going through your late teens and early twenties garnering such responsibility, but it is certainly not impossible.

Of course it's possible, but someone coming in on a graduate program is, on probability, going to get there quicker and have better chances of moving to a different company to advance their career.

xieann wrote: »
    Google Garage is no ubstitute for a FETAC / QQI Level 2 course either

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'm not anyone with the determination to study for years and obtain one I salute them,I didn't,but my smallie will

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Google's your friend, but isn't your background IT (if memory serves).

When somebody makes an assertion, it shouldn't be up to me to Google it to verify what they are saying.

Having said that, I did Google it and I found references to it in a non-Western/non-Anglosphere institution. I leave it to your discretion to determine the quality assurance standards that may have been involved in the validation of such a programme.

There is nothing stopping me from setting up a college and creating a degree in earlobe massaging for stray donkeys (Hons). Getting it past a competent validation panel would be another thing.

I have worked alongside people with degrees, and people with no real formal education at all. At the end of the day, whether it's making a sandwich, or landing a space shuttle on Mars, I really believe that anyone can be trained to do anything. All that matters is their level of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    You could start in a supermarket at 15 years of age and technically be running it in ten years if you played your cards right and worked hard. It might be difficult going through your late teens and early twenties garnering such responsibility, but it is certainly not impossible.

True and (I have this discussion with my Missus who work in retail all the time), there eventually comes a time when you hit the glass ceiling. You will certainly not get "fat" working in a supermarket. My missus is there 20 years and she hit the glass ceiling 15 years ago when she hit assistant manager. She doesnt get a bonus or invited to board meetings. She runs around the network of shops like a bluearsed fly doing they bidding for slabs of 7UP and the odd couple of bottles of wine. I cannot tell her differently. I got her "What colour is your Parachute?" and "Rich Dad, Poor Dad".

Give me two bottles of wine at christmas and you will have an appointment with the proctologist in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

endacl wrote: »
    A degree is what the leaving Cert used to be.

Ive never come across anybody who just had the LC as a qualification that designed a bridge or performed a triple by-pass on a patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Tom Dunne wrote: »

There is nothing stopping me from setting up a college and creating a degree in earlobe massaging for stray donkeys (Hons).....

I am interested in your Degree course and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

:D

Ive never come across anybody who just had the LC as a qualification that designed a bridge or performed a triple by-pass on a patient.

I think they mean the arts and business degrees of today, compared with the LC from 40 years back which were highly thought of in that time and place. Degrees in certain areas are now common place and nothing special.

You want a degree, go do something that commerce values. After that degrees are just indulgent fantasties. Philosophy and English lit degrees are two a penny, and the graduates I have met off those course are so entitled.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Not knocking the ground up, work hard to get on in your career path, but what jobs do people get (apart from apprenticeship roles - which also include further education) without degrees?
    Accounts, administration, medical secretary, PA, HR, social care, SNA - plenty of jobs don't require a degree, it all depends what level people want to work up to.

One of my ex employers got burnt a couple of times because they employed people with a degree, rather than a lower qualification and relevant experience - it all depends on the people.

• Advertisement

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    Accounts, administration, medical secretary, PA, HR, social care, SNA - plenty of jobs don't require a degree, it all depends what level people want to work up to.

One of my ex employers got burnt a couple of times because they employed people with a degree, rather than a lower qualification and relevant experience - it all depends on the people.

HSE have new policies for hiring and they want to see a a min of a degree. I agree a lot depends on the person fitting in and being part of the team and being adjusted to the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No but I have came across a lot of people with that level or less that have run big companies. They started and ran building and development companies, machinery businesses, car dealerships. Certain professions were always taught at degree level such as medicine, architecture, engineering etc. But over the last 10-15years every qualifications has to be done through college courses.

There is a good few that could go back through the apprentice system. Colleges have started to pump out graduates with generic course titles.

Slava Ukrainii

HSE have new policies for hiring and they want to see a a min of a degree. I agree a lot depends on the person fitting in and being part of the team and being adjusted to the post.
    The HSE is only one employer, and it depends on the job you apply for - the HSE aren't the only employers in Ireland

The HSE aren't the only employer in Ireland - and it depends on the role

The HSE is only one employer, and it depends on the job you apply for - the HSE aren't the only employers in Ireland

I never said it was the "only" employer, I just stated they require a minimum degree going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Go on then, give us an example.

Theology.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

As someone who works in the HSE, recently employed, I can attest that this is a load of bs.

jaxxx wrote: »
    As someone who works in the HSE, recently employed, I can attest that this is a load of bs.

Its what my wife told me. Her former employee just got hired as a secretary and claimed she was the last one in before they raised the bar.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Theology.

Dont think so, Big car, tax free, free accomodation and respected pillar in the community, plus you cant ignore company assets and places on boards of management.

I would avail of the education package only I am married.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Go on then, give us an example.

Anything from UCD?????

• Advertisement

Anything from UCD?????

Anything from DBS Daddy Bought Scholarship

I never said it was the "only" employer, I just stated they require a minimum degree going forward.
    No you didn't, but I mentioned a range of roles that don't require a degree and you mentioned the HSE - the HSE fund a lot of jobs outside of the HSE (my own employer included), 'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

No you didn't, but I mentioned a range of roles that don't require a degree and you mentioned the HSE - the HSE fund a lot of jobs outside of the HSE (my own employer included), 'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

Find the word "only" and get back to me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is not the forum for all this. Locking this thread.

OP, in future have a look at other threads as to the 'flavour' of a forum. Third Level is primarily for questions about accessing courses and general questions that doe not fit into the college-specific forums.

Plenty other places on boards where people can rant about 'crap' degrees.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement