Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Footballs wedged under roof in Sports Centre - Advice

• 11-03-2020 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi all,

I wonder if any one can help.
    Apologies i have no photos to help illustrate but i will describe as best as possible.

In our local football club, we have an indoor football area (basketball court size).
    Standard construction of block walls and aluminium sheeting. The approx height from the inside floor to the underneath of the sheeting is 30 +feet.

However for the roof, there are steel frames in place to support the roof but there is a gap of 8-10 inches between steel frames and the sheeting.

The roof is wedged with footballs.

Apart of getting a rent of load all or cherry picker, are there is there anything you know that would be able to retrieve the footballs. Some extension pole grabber device that is long enough to reach and strong enough to push/grab/pull the footballs.

I know prevention is better than cure but for now cure is cheaper (i hope)

Any advice is welcomed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cherry picker is the only way to do it. Any other option is going to be a risk that the sports centre can't take.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭No Bills

Installing 'ceiling protection netting' should stop the balls getting stuck. This company provides that service: fitnessfunctions.ie. I guess they would remove any balls stuck in the roof. I realise this may be the expensive option you are trying to avoid. They might be able to offer some professional advice?

I guess there are services at roof level that need maintenance from time to time (e.g. lights, ventilation etc). Perhaps the cherry picker could be used for a few jobs at the same time to make it better value for money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

did this before by getting a few lengths of 50mm PVC waste pipe, fix them together using the contact cement fittings and they are light enough to reach up and rigid enough to push against the balls and free them.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bauney

thanks for the advice so far. but the 50 mm pvc waste piping might do to grab some of the easier ones.

Some are at bad angles and others pretty well wedged. so it wont reach them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

it was not easy mind, it took some time and patience to get em down. There is a bit of a knack to it how you manipulate the pole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement