02-12-2020, 23:57   #1
Airyfairy12

Not getting paid

I need advice about my wages. Im working part time and supposed to be paid fortnightly. Last pay day I was approached by the manager who told me he forget to put my hours in so I wouldnt be paid until the next pay day, almost a month away. I let it go as mistakes happen, its been a struggle this last month but was holding out for when I got my wages which was supposed to be today.
Wages never went in, I contacted my manager he apologized that he must have forgotten to put my hours in again. Its coming up to Christmas and I have 11 euro in my bank account, next pay day isnt for another 2 weeks.
What am I supposed to do?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-12-2020, 23:59   #2
pg633

What has your manager suggested?
Keep asking them.

Once is poor, twice is not acceptable.

Don't accept that it will be sorted in two weeks, payroll can make a payment out of cycle.

What size organisation is this?
Manager might want to fob you off so he doesn't look bad.
03-12-2020, 00:00   #3
beggars_bush

Ring Vincent DePaul
They should help
03-12-2020, 00:04   #4
screamer

Not good enough to not pay you. Id talk to your manager then call the payroll directly and ask for your wages to be paid out. Explain you've no money left and need your wages.
03-12-2020, 00:04   #5
Airyfairy12

Thanks, @pg633 payments cant be made out of out cycle so im told.
@beggars bush Thanks but I really dont want to have to go begging for money, I just want this sorted.
Advertisement
03-12-2020, 00:06   #6
sameoldname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airyfairy12 View Post
I need advice about my wages. Im working part time and supposed to be paid fortnightly. Last pay day I was approached by the manager who told me he forget to put my hours in so I wouldnt be paid until the next pay day, almost a month away. I let it go as mistakes happen, its been a struggle this last month but was holding out for when I got my wages which was supposed to be today.
Wages never went in, I contacted my manager he apologized that he must have forgotten to put my hours in again. Its coming up to Christmas and I have 11 euro in my bank account, next pay day isnt for another 2 weeks.
What am I supposed to do?
Get them to write you a cheque for your wages due. I've seen it done even in large companies where payment is normally directly into your account on a fixed date. If your manager puts up a fight about that then go straight to HR. Your manager messed up and it's his job to fix it immediately. Don't let them fob you off either.

Last edited by sameoldname; 03-12-2020 at 00:11. Reason: Clarity
03-12-2020, 00:07   #7
mickdw

I hope this is a decent sized business and not some fraud that just doesnt intend to pay at all.
03-12-2020, 00:07   #8
pg633

Of course they can, they just don't want the hassle.
Who told you that? Manager or payroll/HR?
03-12-2020, 00:12   #9
refusetolose

this kinda sh** make my blood boil
i'd be snapping
Advertisement
03-12-2020, 00:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beggars_bush View Post
Ring Vincent DePaul
They should help
Before calling SVP, absolutely give the manager hell until he/she does the right thing here and makes a payment out of cycle. It's the run up to Christmas and this cannot be forgotten about.

Twice is shockingly unacceptable. Any imbecile would know that.

Remember the time my old man didn't get paid and he downed tools and sat in the middle of the courtyard on site and made a scene. I was working there on a summer labouring job at the time as a teen. He was paid quick enough then.
03-12-2020, 00:15   #11
Airyfairy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by refusetolose View Post
this kinda sh** make my blood boil
i'd be snapping
Im fuming! I was depending on my wages this week, just paid off the car tax & insurance in one go thinking it's fine as im getting paid. He didnt even let me know this time that they didnt go in.
(3) thanks from:
03-12-2020, 02:53   #12
qwerty13

As others have said, you need to kick up an absolute stink about this. Any company - big or small - can work out the sums, and write you a cheque. Even messing up once with wages is not acceptable to me - as you said, people have bills! But twice is beyond ridiculous.

I’d firstly approach the manager and tell them that you literally can’t afford to live until you get paid. If nothing is happening (like with a half day) I’d approach HR in the guise of ‘there seems to be some mistake’. If neither of those yield any immediate results, approach your union. If you don’t have a union, I’d think it’s completely legit to go nuclear tbh. If it’s a small company / family owned place, I would push the emotional side, and then go nuclear.

Absolute bull that it can’t be resolved outside the payroll run. And even if it took them a load of hassle, so what. Anyone can make a mistake, but god you’d hope they’d hold their hands up and resolve it ASAP. But the same mistake twice, and claiming that there is nothing they can do? Bullsh*t.

Mrs O’Bumble on this forum is I think a HR practitioner. Be interested to read her views.

And your manager is either incompetent, or an absolute d*ck, or both. I don’t normally get THAT annoyed when replying to a post, but IMO you are being treated dreadfully. You’ve upheld your end of the deal (working your hours), and your employer has failed miserably at the most basic level (paying you for work completed. TWICE)

Last edited by qwerty13; 03-12-2020 at 02:58.
03-12-2020, 03:02   #13
JustAThought

I’d be concerned that the company might be going under or about to fold and you will be left with nothing. Send your manager an email saying you need your salary to eat and survive and that s/he will have to make arrangements for it to be paid from petty cash or other sources immediately -
you cannot wait or go without money you have worked for and earned for six weeks. If s/he replies by phone send a summary email and if it is not the reply you want (ie fob off) go up a level
on them to HR/payroll. I wouldn’t be hanging around waiting for a reply for longer than a day or two either. Mistake or not S/he’s covering their ass at your expense - I am livid for you.
03-12-2020, 03:25   #14
Peregrinus

This is appalling and horrifying - and seriously worrying. Kick up about your wages and keep kicking up until they sort this. Make it clear that waiting until next paydate is absolutely not acceptable to you and they should not waste their time or yours even suggesting it.

But, as soon as this is sorted, polish up your CV and start looking for jobs. The likelihood is that this business is severly cash-strapped, is scrabbling to find cash from day to day, and is going down the tubes. But even if that's not the case, if they are employing managers with this spectacular degree of incompetence, they're likely going down the tubes pretty soon anyway. You don't want to stick around.
03-12-2020, 03:33   #15
qwerty13

Two very good points from JustAThought: do not be fobbed off, just in case they’re about to go under. But also very important to email everything back to your manager, even off the back of it allegedly being verbally resolved ‘I note that I raised my concerns on x, y, z dates, I still have not been paid for a, b, c dates - and detail the resolution they agreed to.

I wouldn’t wait longer than a half day for action tbh. And if you get a response saying ‘oh it’s with HR / the accountant / the payroll company’ - I’d email them and cc you manager. As in ‘I understand that you are tasked with resolving the urgent issue of failure to pay me for 2 payroll cycles. I cannot sustain failure to pay me. This must be urgently resolved’.

My instinct would be to literally say in any conversations and emails that you cannot afford to pay bills or eat. But perhaps cooler heads than mine would advise otherwise.

Last edited by qwerty13; 03-12-2020 at 03:43.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion