Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
01-12-2020, 15:28   #1
20silkcut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,744
Pulling trailers

RSA say that any trailer with a total mass over 3500kg must have independent braking.
I don’t do a lot of trailer work on the road myself but I reckon I have gone over that a few times drawing clay fertilizer etc. But I can’t see myself piping up an hydraulic braking system on my old trailer.
The plate on my tractor says maximum permissible weight of trailers is 11,700 kg.
Wondering is that related to the drawbar pull of the tractor or is that the limit the tractor brakes can handle on its own.

Thread title should be pulling trailers.Sorted.G.

Last edited by greysides; 02-12-2020 at 13:50.
20silkcut is online now  
Advertisement
01-12-2020, 15:44   #2
lakill Farm
Registered User
 
lakill Farm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,493
I got hydraulic brakes added to a trailer here last year. a lad from Cork did the whole job for €350 including freeing out the idle brakes on the trailer. Its a great job now even though the trailer is only used 4 or 5 days a year drawing turf . It is 14x7.5ft x 4ft sides so 8/10 ton gross with a load of turf



Quote:
Originally Posted by 20silkcut View Post
RSA say that any trailer with a total mass over 3500kg must have independent braking.
I don’t do a lot of trailer work on the road myself but I reckon I have gone over that a few times drawing clay fertilizer etc. But I can’t see myself piping up an hydraulic braking system on my old trailer.
The plate on my tractor says maximum permissible weight of trailers is 11,700 kg.
Wondering is that related to the drawbar pull of the tractor or is that the limit the tractor brakes can handle on its own.

Thread title should be pulling trailers.
lakill Farm is offline  
01-12-2020, 16:24   #3
20silkcut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakill Farm View Post
I got hydraulic brakes added to a trailer here last year. a lad from Cork did the whole job for €350 including freeing out the idle brakes on the trailer. Its a great job now even though the trailer is only used 4 or 5 days a year drawing turf . It is 14x7.5ft x 4ft sides so 8/10 ton gross with a load of turf
Very same as my trailer so although mine is a re incarnation of an old truck so it’s all steel might be a bit heavier. Must look up that guy €350 is not too bad. Is that just plugged into a spool valve and operated by hand.
Has anyone ever being pulled by the guards with an old un plated trailer?
20silkcut is online now  
01-12-2020, 16:29   #4
lakill Farm
Registered User
 
lakill Farm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20silkcut View Post
Very same as my trailer so although mine is a re incarnation of an old truck so it’s all steel might be a bit heavier. Must look up that guy €350 is not too bad. Is that just plugged into a spool valve and operated by hand.
Has anyone ever being pulled by the guards with an old un plated trailer?
No he put the trailer brake end and its operated off the tractor hydraulic brakes. he advertises on donedeal for air brakes on trailers. somewhere in cork. Nice lad, he can certified and plate a trailer also.
lakill Farm is offline  
01-12-2020, 18:03   #5
_Brian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 16,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakill Farm View Post
I got hydraulic brakes added to a trailer here last year. a lad from Cork did the whole job for €350 including freeing out the idle brakes on the trailer. Its a great job now even though the trailer is only used 4 or 5 days a year drawing turf . It is 14x7.5ft x 4ft sides so 8/10 ton gross with a load of turf
That sounds very reasonable for that amount of work.
_Brian is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-12-2020, 18:59   #6
lakill Farm
Registered User
 
lakill Farm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Brian View Post
That sounds very reasonable for that amount of work.
yes he was definitely 5 hours flat out working at it. and supplied the braking ram and pipes etc.

made some difference when pulling the trailer on the road
lakill Farm is offline  
01-12-2020, 21:30   #7
ml100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20silkcut View Post
RSA say that any trailer with a total mass over 3500kg must have independent braking.
I don’t do a lot of trailer work on the road myself but I reckon I have gone over that a few times drawing clay fertilizer etc. But I can’t see myself piping up an hydraulic braking system on my old trailer.
The plate on my tractor says maximum permissible weight of trailers is 11,700 kg.
Wondering is that related to the drawbar pull of the tractor or is that the limit the tractor brakes can handle on its own.

Thread title should be pulling trailers.
If your tractors max speed is 40km/hr you can tow a trailer upto 5000kg provided tests not more than 3 time3 unladen weight of the tractor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20201201-212535_Drive.jpg (468.4 KB, 92 views)
ml100 is offline  
Thanks from:
02-12-2020, 22:17   #8
roosterman71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,357
Does this man in Cork just repair trailer brakes or fit them too. Have a tipper that carries 10 ton with no brakes. There was some operated via a spool originally. It's a home made trailer though but the axel is off a lorry and should have all the bits and bobs. Used to have it anyway.
roosterman71 is offline  
02-12-2020, 22:37   #9
Limestone Cowboy
Registered User
 
Limestone Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterman71 View Post
Does this man in Cork just repair trailer brakes or fit them too. Have a tipper that carries 10 ton with no brakes. There was some operated via a spool originally. It's a home made trailer though but the axel is off a lorry and should have all the bits and bobs. Used to have it anyway.
It not rocket science really. You'd put them right yourself if you are half handy, there's a small single acting spring loaded ram that turns the rod going into the back of the hub that pushes the shoes out against the drum when it turns. I completely redid them myself on the dump trailer and low loader. The ram is about 50 quid, shoes about 60-70 per wheel depending on size and get you'd a few new hoses made up to suit cheap enough. Hardest part is freeing up the rod going into the back of the hub if it is seized.
Limestone Cowboy is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-12-2020, 02:37   #10
20silkcut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limestone Cowboy View Post
It not rocket science really. You'd put them right yourself if you are half handy, there's a small single acting spring loaded ram that turns the rod going into the back of the hub that pushes the shoes out against the drum when it turns. I completely redid them myself on the dump trailer and low loader. The ram is about 50 quid, shoes about 60-70 per wheel depending on size and get you'd a few new hoses made up to suit cheap enough. Hardest part is freeing up the rod going into the back of the hub if it is seized.
Daunting task though on really old lorry axle trailers. I had some job taking a drum off a 20 year old ifor Williams one time needed heat to get it done. Can only imagine what a 40 or 50 year old drum on an ex lorry axle would be like.
20silkcut is online now  
Thanks from:
03-12-2020, 08:35   #11
Reggie.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 22,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterman71 View Post
Does this man in Cork just repair trailer brakes or fit them too. Have a tipper that carries 10 ton with no brakes. There was some operated via a spool originally. It's a home made trailer though but the axel is off a lorry and should have all the bits and bobs. Used to have it anyway.
As far as I'm aware he fits them also. Lakills trailer had no brakes at all as far as I know just an old lorry axle on it.
Reggie. is offline  
Thanks from:
03-12-2020, 09:44   #12
lakill Farm
Registered User
 
lakill Farm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie. View Post
As far as I'm aware he fits them also. Lakills trailer had no brakes at all as far as I know just an old lorry axle on it.
Brakes and shoes were in my hubs ( he had asked me for pictures before he came up so he would have spare shoes, you can see the shoes from the back of the hub) so he took off the wheels and hub and cleaned all the brakes and springs and bits inside. that was 75% of the job in fairness, he was no time setting up the new mechanism

I say if you have a trailer axle with no hubs set up you would be better off buying a brakes axle and swapping it over
lakill Farm is offline  
03-12-2020, 09:47   #13
lakill Farm
Registered User
 
lakill Farm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,493
Fully agree the mechanism betweenthe 2 wheels is easy,

The opening hubs, removing double wheels safely and freeing out the inside of the hubs is what took all the time.

He had gas in the van, welders and battery impact guns.

All I supplied him with was pints of mi wadi and a few mugs of tea. He wont eat even a biscuit and I was blue in the face offering to go get a roll.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Limestone Cowboy View Post
It not rocket science really. You'd put them right yourself if you are half handy, there's a small single acting spring loaded ram that turns the rod going into the back of the hub that pushes the shoes out against the drum when it turns. I completely redid them myself on the dump trailer and low loader. The ram is about 50 quid, shoes about 60-70 per wheel depending on size and get you'd a few new hoses made up to suit cheap enough. Hardest part is freeing up the rod going into the back of the hub if it is seized.
lakill Farm is offline  
03-12-2020, 13:23   #14
Reggie.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 22,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakill Farm View Post
Fully agree the mechanism betweenthe 2 wheels is easy,

The opening hubs, removing double wheels safely and freeing out the inside of the hubs is what took all the time.

He had gas in the van, welders and battery impact guns.

All I supplied him with was pints of mi wadi and a few mugs of tea. He wont eat even a biscuit and I was blue in the face offering to go get a roll.
Surprised he got the tae
Reggie. is offline  
(3) thanks from:
03-12-2020, 15:33   #15
Water John
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 17,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie. View Post
Surprised he got the tae
Only if Lakill takes a shine to you.
Water John is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet