Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I see H Byrne is with the squad this week, presume a few have joined up with no matches except Connacht I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

salmocab wrote: »
    I see H Byrne is with the squad this week, presume a few have joined up with no matches except Connacht I think.

I think he's there because Burns is injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

salmocab wrote: »

They are in bubbles so they can't just drop in/out of the Irish squad as normal. H BYrne is to replace Burns. That is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Word is Healy is on the way to Glasgow

I saw that Glasgow approached him, would be a weird move for him imo. He's a clear run at the Munster 10 shirt at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ireland Team Talk XII: Justice for Zebo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Too soon, thomond, too soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Ireland Team Talk XII: Return of the Nause

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Ireland Team Talk XII: Swing Lowe, sweet expatriate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ireland Team Talk XII: Burns / Beirne / Byrne baby Burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

aloooof wrote: »
    Ireland Team Talk XII: Burns / Beirne / Byrne baby Burn.

Ireland Team Talk XII: Burns / Beirne / Byrne / Baby Byrne for consistency, but 100% behind you there, aloooof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Ireland Team Talk XII: Burns / Beirne / Byrne / Baby Byrne for consistency, but 100% behind you there, aloooof.

Ireland Team Talk XII: And it Burns / Beirne / Byrne the Ringrose of fire

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Ireland Team Talk XII: And it Burns / Beirne / Byrne the Ringrose of fire

This might be overkill, but...

Ireland Team Talk XII: And it Burns, Beirne’s, Byrne’s, the Ringrose, van der Flier.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bazzo wrote: »
    Can't believe you left out Ben Betts

Wait a minute, Ben Betts left?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Wait a minute, Ben Betts left?!

off to Leicester, apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

No team announcement today?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I reckon Farrell will play safe and go with a more experienced side this week. He will want to get the win, so there's less pressure after the tournament.
    I would hope that EOS is selected. No point continuing with Bealham. Bealham will not be in the mix for lh in the 6nations whereas, EOS might.
    I doubt HB will get a shot, but it's a meaningless game, why not?
    I hope its
    1. Healy
    2. Herring
    3. Porter
    4 Hendo
    5. Ryan
    6. Stander
    7. VDf
    8. Doris
    9. JGP
    10. Sexton
    11. Stockdale
    12. McCloskey
    13. Henshaw
    14. Conway
    15. Keenan

16. Kelleher
    17. EOS
    18. Bealham
    19. Roux
    20. POM
    21. Marmion
    22 Byrne H
    23. Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I reckon Farrell will play safe and go with a more experienced side this week. He will want to get the win, so there's less pressure after the tournament.
    I would hope that EOS is selected. No point continuing with Bealham. Bealham will not be in the mix for lh in the 6nations whereas, EOS might.

You answer your own question, Dub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

The team confidence is probably lower than after the World Cup. The scrum, lineout, attack, defense etc are all under pressure.
    I doubt Farrell will give a sh*t about trying new players and will want a win to go towards the 6 nations with some confidence. Expect as close to the strongest team possible to go out, Sexton at 10 etc. To be honest I wouldn't take it away from him. He has tried plenty of players in this competition

The pressure on Farrell makes this an interesting game.

The Scots will be up for it also I would say.

The "Final" is pretty much a non-event given that most of France's first squad are ruled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

The people saying this is a meaningless game will probably be the same people saying we weren't good enough to beat Scotland or that we came 4th.

Aside from that, every win is important now because outsiders have a notion that we're doing poorly. If we can get used to winning again then those little tight margins where we're currently losing the ball might become the tight margins where we score again.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i think scotland +9 is the best bet of the weekend.

They're coming to ireland with a point to prove having lost by 7 points back in Feb, and really having thrown away the chance of a victory.
    Had Hogg not dropped the ball over the line on 50 mins i think the result could have gone the other way.
    They also went down by 7 points against a fully loaded France 2 weeks ago
    Scotland are coming in pretty settled. Big back 3 who are very useful in the air so no obvious kick game advantage to ireland.
    'The Mish' will have a field day around rucks with these new law interpretations so ireland will have to play tight to secure ball, and if we go with to bash centers we would have to do something new to be able to play around them.
    If scotland can keep discipline close to parity with ours, and try not to "scotland" up the crunch decisions.. then i think they have a real chance to win this.

Irelands healy, james ryan, porter and POM have all played huge minutes already and must be drained.
    whats really in it for ireland?? who cares about coming 3rd or 4th?
    Our play has been turgid and loose and theres no worse team of fecking bollixes than the scots to come and just be niggly feckers around everything in the game.

I think ireland will do very well (and have to play very well) to win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

sydthebeat wrote: »

They're coming to ireland with a point to prove having lost by 7 points back in Feb, and really having thrown away the chance of a victory.
    Had Hogg not dropped the ball over the line on 50 mins i think the result could have gone the other way.
    Scotland are coming in pretty settled. Big back 3 who are very useful in the air so no obvious kick game advantage to ireland.
    'The Mish' will have a field day around rucks with these new law interpretations so ireland will have to play tight to secure ball, and if we go with to bash centers we would have to do something new to be able to play around them.
    If scotland can keep discipline close to parity with ours, and try not to "scotland" up the crunch decisions.. then i think they have a real chance to win this.

Irelands healy, james ryan, porter and POM have all played huge minutes already and must be drained.
    Our play has been turgid and loose and theres no worse team of fecking bollixes than the scots to come and just be niggly feckers around everything in the game.

Yeah and Ireland have nothing to prove after the recent 2 showings... you probably weren’t watching the Scotland France match if you think the 7 point loss means anything, France were pretty much in 2nd gear and still never looked like losing the match.

Pretty selective showing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I hope its
    1. Healy
    2. Herring
    3. Porter
    4 Hendo
    5. Ryan
    6. Stander
    7. VDf
    8. Doris
    9. JGP
    10. Sexton
    11. Stockdale
    12. McCloskey
    13. Henshaw
    14. Conway
    15. Keenan

16. Kelleher
    17. EOS
    18. Bealham
    19. Roux
    20. POM
    21. Marmion
    22 Byrne H
    23. Daly

Murray will be involved in some way - bar injury. Mostly agree besides that - other Byrne will probably be the sub outhalf. Centre combo will be interesting to see - I liked McCloskey last week one dislodged ball aside so I wouldn't mind him at 12 and Henshaw at 13. I'd personally go Henshaw 12 Farrell 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

phog wrote: »
    The people saying this is a meaningless game will probably be the same people saying we weren't good enough to beat Scotland or that we came 4th.

Aside from that, every win is important now because outsiders have a notion that we're doing poorly. If we can get used to winning again then those little tight margins where we're currently losing the ball might become the tight margins where we score again.

It'll mean something if we lose, you can count on that.

The game's are meaningless in terms of points as rankings are irrelevant with the RWC seedings confirmed and this being essentially a glorified autumn international, the game is though is important for getting abit of momentum before the 6N and ending the year on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The pont of this was to blood newbies etc. Put them in a pressure situation. We won't learn nothing if we don't try.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

sydthebeat wrote: »

I'm pretty sure France made around 7 changes from their first team for that match? Still was a strong team but think it was weaker than the side we played.
    I agree though there is a big risk of us losing if we don't show up but I expect a much improved performance from us to get the win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Downlinz

The experience will be rolled out for this one I think. The team is in trouble and the leaders need to stand up.

1. Healy
    2. Herring
    3. Porter
    4 Henderson
    5. Ryan
    6. Doris
    7. POM
    8. Stander
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Earls
    12. Aki
    13. Henshaw
    14. Conway
    15. Stockdale

16. Kelleher
    17. EOS
    18. Bealham
    19. Roux
    20. VDF
    21. Marmion
    22 Byrne R/H
    23. Keenan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Thornley in IT

J Stockdale; H Keenan, R Henshaw, B Aki, K Earls; J Sexton (capt), C Murray;

C Healy, R Kelleher, A Porter; James Ryan, I Henderson; CJ Stander, P O’Mahony, C Doris. 

Replacements: R Herring, F Bealham, John Ryan, Q Roux, T Beirne, J Gibson-Park, R Byrne, C Farrell.

That's a bitterly disappointing selection if it's this

We have scope to give Daly a run from the start
    15 Keenan
    11 Stockdale
    14 Daly

We had a chance to test out a front row
    1 EOS
    2 Kelleher
    3 Bealham

Sexton I'm ok with as Burns is injured

I Expect us to win a bit of a dour game.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

The pont of this was to blood newbies etc. Put them in a pressure situation. We won't learn nothing if we don't try.

We have blooded new players in this tournament. You could argue about maybe including the likes of Cooney/Ruddock and maybe at a push Casey but there aren't a huge list of players that could be used but weren't.

If having a young team was a winning formula then rugby players would be retired by the time they're 25.

• Advertisement

You know that the pressure is really on and that this is a big match when they are rolling out the feel-good PR muck like this

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/cian-healy-confident-player-empowered-culture-will-deliver-1.4425883

https://www.the42.ie/cian-healy-feelgood-mood-ireland-5286458-Dec2020/

Advertisement