Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
21-11-2020, 01:24   #721
pinkypinky
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,628
Definitely. And the number of centimorgans are higher there for the same match as on other sites. I think they count tiny segments.
pinkypinky is offline  
Advertisement
21-11-2020, 23:12   #722
Earnest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
Definitely. And the number of centimorgans are higher there for the same match as on other sites. I think they count tiny segments.
Yes, I have what I think are 3 coinciding matches among my high figures. A MyHeritage match of 52.6 cM is an Ancestry match of 41, and a MyHeritage match of 61.0 is an Ancestry match of 32. The third might be odder: a Gedmatch of 71.1 is an Ancestry match of 49. Do these seem plausible? I haven't succeeded in contacting any of these three: the only one where I can guess where the connection is didn't reply.
Earnest is offline  
22-11-2020, 10:19   #723
Mollymoo19
Registered User
 
Mollymoo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 58
Ancestry also evaluates DNA segments and removes those they consider too common in a population, i.e. likely to be identical by chance. Now they tell you how much they have removed. Where you see

Predicted relationship: Close Family–1st Cousin
Shared DNA: XXX cM across X segments - click on the link here, and it will show the 'unweighted shared DNA'.

Maybe this is the issue,
Though, while I think the MyHeritage tools are the best, I do have shared segments of up to 30cM on MyH that are not shared with either of my parents.
Mollymoo19 is offline  
22-11-2020, 11:06   #724
paddysdream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollymoo19 View Post
Ancestry also evaluates DNA segments and removes those they consider too common in a population, i.e. likely to be identical by chance. Now they tell you how much they have removed. Where you see

Predicted relationship: Close Family–1st Cousin
Shared DNA: XXX cM across X segments - click on the link here, and it will show the 'unweighted shared DNA'.

Maybe this is the issue,
Though, while I think the MyHeritage tools are the best, I do have shared segments of up to 30cM on MyH that are not shared with either of my parents.
Thanks for the above but still find it hard to get my head around some of this DNA stuff.

Taking your explanation looked at 3rd cousin match on Ancestry.He matches 193cM across 8 DNA segments with unweighted shared amount at 193cM and longest segment at 68cM.
According to Ancestry estimate that amount would be 2nd cousin etc 66% of the time,2nd cousin once removed etc 22% and 3rd cousin 2% of the time.
For such a small percentage chance the header shows him as predicted 3rd/4th cousin.
Understand that amounts vary and that it(relationship degree not actual DNA testing)is not an exact science as of yet but still wonder.Do they take into account shared ancestor etc for the predicted relationship or wonder if it soley based on DNA ?
paddysdream is offline  
22-11-2020, 11:11   #725
Earnest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollymoo19 View Post
Ancestry also evaluates DNA segments and removes those they consider too common in a population, i.e. likely to be identical by chance. Now they tell you how much they have removed. Where you see

Predicted relationship: Close Family–1st Cousin
Shared DNA: XXX cM across X segments - click on the link here, and it will show the 'unweighted shared DNA'.
That's interesting, but it still doesn't equate to the MyHeritage figures:
Ancestry 32, Ancestry Unweighted 37, MyHeritage 61.0
Ancestry 41, Ancestry Unweighted 44, MyHeritage 52.6
Ancestry 49, Ancestry Unweighted 62, Gedmatch 71.1
Earnest is offline  
Advertisement
22-11-2020, 11:30   #726
paddysdream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnest View Post
Yes, I have what I think are 3 coinciding matches among my high figures. A MyHeritage match of 52.6 cM is an Ancestry match of 41, and a MyHeritage match of 61.0 is an Ancestry match of 32. The third might be odder: a Gedmatch of 71.1 is an Ancestry match of 49. Do these seem plausible? I haven't succeeded in contacting any of these three: the only one where I can guess where the connection is didn't reply.
Just checked a few known DNA matches and shared amounts across a few sites.

My test was with Ancestry and uploaded it to all the other sites.

First one is 3rd cousin.
On Ancestry we share 193cM across 8 segments.Unweighted is 193cM and longest is 68cM
My Heritage says 221.6cM and 8 segments.Largest segment is 68.4cM
FTDNA says 247cM ;longest block is 65
Gedmatch says 226.5cM largest segment is 71.8
His test like mine(apart from FTDNA) was done with Ancestry and uploaded to other sites.

His sister(obv. 3rd cousin again)
Ancestry 32cM across 4 segments.Unweighted is 51cM and longest is 22cM
My Heritage 66.5 across 5 segments.Largest segment is 26.8cM.
FTDNA 105cM longest block is 24
Gedmatch says 51.7 ;largest segment is 26.5
Again hers (apart from FTDNA) done with Ancestry and uploaded to other sites.

Another known 3rd cousin.
Ancestry gives 57.5 across 3 segments.Unweighted is 73cM and longest 27cM
My Heritage 82.7cM across 5 segments.27.7 is largest segment
Gedmatch says 83.1cM ;largest segment is 30.3
Test on Ancestry and uploaded to other sites.

Daughter of 3rd cousin.
Ancestry gives 37cM across 2 segments.Unweighted is 53cM and longest is 32cM.
My Heritage its 56.3 across 2 segments.32.5 largest segment.
FTDNA its 57.2cM with longest block 32cM
Gedmatch gives 55.2cM ;largest segment is 31.5


Last one is unknown relative.
Again test on Ancestry and uploaded to other sites.
Ancestry gives 44cM across 2 segments.Unweighted is 70cM and longest is 42cM
My Heritage gives 45.1cM across 2 segments.Largest segment 45.1cM
Gedmatch gives 66.2cM with largest segment 33.2cM

All above are on my fathers side and would assume some distant inter marriage etc as all his family including the above's ancestors were from within 5 miles or less as the crow flies from where we still live.

Last edited by paddysdream; 22-11-2020 at 11:48.
paddysdream is offline  
Thanks from:
08-12-2020, 11:16   #727
whosedaddy?
Registered User
 
whosedaddy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 877
Got me Ancestry results back.. a bit disappointed tbh.
19 4th-6th cousins, with 39cM being the highest...
3000 4th-8th cousins
Had hoped to get some better matches closer to home, but DNA ancestry isn't that popular in Germany.

20% Norwegean - yeah right. Not a scandinavian in sight anywhere

Most intriguing thing is half of those 19 matches are in the US.
I have one known relative emigrating to the US in 1850..

what other DNA databases might be worth uploading the results to..
whosedaddy? is offline  
08-12-2020, 11:29   #728
BottleOfSmoke
Registered User
 
BottleOfSmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosedaddy? View Post
Got me Ancestry results back.. a bit disappointed tbh.
19 4th-6th cousins, with 39cM being the highest...
3000 4th-8th cousins
Had hoped to get some better matches closer to home, but DNA ancestry isn't that popular in Germany.

20% Norwegean - yeah right. Not a scandinavian in sight anywhere

Most intriguing thing is half of those 19 matches are in the US.
I have one known relative emigrating to the US in 1850..

what other DNA databases might be worth uploading the results to..
By sheer numbers of customers, Ancestry will have more volume. But with luck, you may get a closer match elsewhere. These are reputable sites with a free upload from Ancestry:
MyHeritage is quite popular with Europeans.
FamilyTreeDNA will skew North American but you may get lucky.
GEDmatch seems to have a mix of North American and Europe
LivingDNA may be good for English heritage

One known relative emigrating to the US seems really low, given historical tendencies! I would say 80% of my 4th cousins are U.S.
BottleOfSmoke is offline  
Thanks from:
08-12-2020, 12:21   #729
A New earth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 523
Yes it is a bit disappointing that you didn't get a couple of closer cousins.

Gedmatch is the main one to upload to as its free unless you want to go to extra facilities but you don't need them at the beginning anyway.

Myheritage would be next and has a good Irish following. Again its free but you may wish to pay a fee if it turns up close matches and you want to see their family trees etc.

FTDNA can be quite good too, again free but there is a small fee for more facilities. Stick it on LivingDNA too but I never found much there.
A New earth is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-12-2020, 14:38   #730
whosedaddy?
Registered User
 
whosedaddy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 877
Thanks for the suggestions.
There could have been more relatives that emigrated, so excited to find out. On the other hand of the one I know off, ive hit dead ends for two of the children...
Still plenty to explore, and hopefully the other databases will unearth some closer relatives.
whosedaddy? is offline  
08-12-2020, 23:23   #731
Mick Tator
Registered User
 
Mick Tator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 69
Putting this here because don't know where else is suitable - Mods feel free to move if required
It's an interesting and entertaining story about the DNA analysis on a group of ancient bodies found in Tibet.
Mick Tator is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet