Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Time Reading Recommendations for My 3 Year Old

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Slightly off topic.

There is a company called "Tall Stories" that do live action musicals / plays of the Julia Donaldson books. Think they go around the country but we've seen them in the Pavillions in Dun Laoghaire.

So far we have seen The Gruffalo and Room on the Broom. We had booked for Snail and the Whale for this Christmas but stupid covid forced it to be cancelled.

They are absolutely wonderful productions, really funny and the actors are all fantastic. Highly recommend bringing 2+ kids to them if you can, a lovely way to spend an afternoon and as enjoyable for daddy and mammy as they are for the kiddies.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My 3 year old loves Stick Man. We know it nearly off by heart at this stage. Lovely little book.

We've also read Spinderella, The Gruffalo, A Squash and a Squeeze. The Snail and the Whale. All great books with lovely messages.

I think most of them are by Julia Donaldson. She seems to be pretty popular.

^ There is a nice CD where many of those stories are re-done in song. I think Donaldson actually sings on some of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭stayback

Can I jump here on this one. We have a 17 month old and I want to get into the habit of reading to her before she goes to bed. Any recommendations would be welcome . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

stayback wrote: »
    Can I jump here on this one. We have a 17 month old and I want to get into the habit of reading to her before she goes to bed. Any recommendations would be welcome . Thanks

Any Julia Donaldson, the Adams cloud books, the Duck books by Jez Alborough. I’ve been reading all of these from maybe 6/9 months and still going strong with my boy who is now almost 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭stayback

bee06 wrote: »
    Any Julia Donaldson, the Adams cloud books, the Duck books by Jez Alborough. I’ve been reading all of these from maybe 6/9 months and still going strong with my boy who is now almost 3.

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I used to read the classic fairy tales such as The Three Little Pigs, The Princess & the Pea, Goldilocks etc. M&S had a lovely series of books that I think have since been discontinued.
    It's hard to go wrong really. Just pop into a local bookshop or have a good browse on Amazon and see what some of the top selling books are. You can search by age and it'll give lots of suggestions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Another Julia Donaldson fan here, we have most of her books and they are on the third child in this house (he is just 2.5 and we started into them around 18 months).He quite likes Oliver Jeffers "Stuck" and "Lost and Found". "We're going on a Bear Hunt", "Toddle Waddle" and "Animal Music"( both very suitable for that age) and also "One Little Baby" is very good for that age.He also loves "Ten little Fingers and Ten Little Toes" and "Each, Peach, Pear,Plum". Lately he is big into "What the Ladybird Heard" and the 2 follow-on books from it aswell.

They take to different books, so try a few out.Also check out bookdepository.ie for them, a lot are not available in the usual shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Time for Bed by Mem Fox; Goodnight Moon; Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See; Tales from Acorn Wood (there are four books in the series) by Julia Donaldson; Little Blue Truck; Sandra Boynton books like Barnyard Dance - although this one might be a bit energetic at bedtime!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Absolutely my favorite read with my 4 yo is the “Giant Jumparee”. It’s about a mysterious jumparee that takes over a rabbit’s burrow. So many questions and conversations can be had about who this giant jumparee is, what it looks like and what it’s doing in rabbit’s burrow, my son loves it! It’s the only book that he repeatedly asks me to reread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I agree with the suggestions about Julia Donaldson, she has a set especially for toddlers. You can get them in Aldi. They’re specially designed for toddlers in mind, hard back and full of different vibrant patterns and colours which are supposed to help hold a toddler’s short attention. “Chocolate Mousse for Greedy Goose” and “Hippo Has a Hat” are lovely. Each page has a hint/link to the next to keep your LO guessing what’s coming next.

I’d also recommend tactile books for toddlers as it helps hold their attention. There’s a series called “That’s Not My....” that are nice, also another series called “You Must Never Touch a...” (I prefer these) my boys love the you most never touch a dinosaur!

For older toddlers I love the Sam Taplin series in Usborne books, Night sounds, jungle sounds etc. absolutely stunning books, beautifully illustrated, full of patterns and surprises, you could discover something new every time you read, very tactile and gorgeous audio sounds to accompany the stories. Well worth checking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

Reading all the suggestions with great interest. Thanks! Rod Campbell's Dear Zoo & It's Mine are two favourites with my 2 yr old. He loves lifting the flaps. Also anything by Julia Donaldson.
    Has anyone come across a series of Irish stories/ legends...Cú Chulainn, Salmon of Knowledge, etc. for same age group?

We're almost at the end of the second Wishing Chair Book and I have ordered the third. Looking at some online reviews though, they aren't very favourable saying it's something of a mish mash.
    She's loved them and I'll try it with her but I'm going to look for something else to read with her. I wonder would it be worth giving The BFG from Roald Dahl a go? I'm not sure what age recommendation it has. Is there anything else from Enid Blyton we could read?

Edit: I'm still looking for recommendations but have ordered The BFG and The Witches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

We're almost at the end of the second Wishing Chair Book and I have ordered the third. Looking at some online reviews though, they aren't very favourable saying it's something of a mish mash.
    She's loved them and I'll try it with her but I'm going to look for something else to read with her. I wonder would it be worth giving The BFG from Roald Dahl a go? I'm not sure what age recommendation it has. Is there anything else from Enid Blyton we could read?

Edit: I'm still looking for recommendations but have ordered The BFG and The Witches.

I wouldn’t read her the witches or the bfg tbh. If you want to read roald Dahl, the ones geared at younger kids are much lighter- fantastic mr fox, Georges marvellous medicine, the twits, Charlie and the choc factory

jlm29 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t read her the witches or the bfg tbh. If you want to read roald Dahl, the ones geared at younger kids are much lighter- fantastic mr fox, Georges marvellous medicine, the twits, Charlie and the choc factory

I bought them but have also just bought your two suggestions.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I bought them but have also just bought your two suggestions.

Thanks.

I would consider putting them away for a few years- the witches is quite dark, it would be quite scary for a three year old. The bfg is ago not that appropriate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

jlm29 wrote: »
    I would consider putting them away for a few years- the witches is quite dark, it would be quite scary for a three year old. The bfg is ago not that appropriate

Totally agree, the BFG is about giants who eat humans.

The Giraffe, the Pelly and me is a good one for that age group.

So, George's Marvellous Medicine was alright but she seems very taken with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. We've even read some chapters first thing in the morning. The nice thing with that is we'll be able to watch the original movie when we're finished. We're almost done so I have Fantastic Mr. Fox on the way.

We don't have tablets, the computer is work related to her, the PS4 under the TV she has no clue/interest in it and TV is allowed each day if she asks but it is limited. I really hope this interest in books continues for a long long time. At the moment I read to her. I wonder what she'll be like when she can read herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We have read all the Roald Dahl books here to 6 and 3 year old.
    They went over the 3 year old’s head.
    He adores the usborne farmyard tale books. We have the individual ones but you can buy them all in one big book. I think they might be called “Poppy and Sam” now.

The other books he loves are the usual ones eg 3 little pigs etc. We got big ones in a set.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

They do keep reading Kintaro, my eldest is 6 and is starting to make a stab at reading trickier books.We read BFG to her last year and she has now discovered Matilda, so that is ongoing. You do have to be careful with the age appropriateness, Roald Dahl would pitch more to slightly older kids.

You can get kid poetry books...we have a Puffin My first book of Poems.Some are just ridiculous rhymes, but they are very good for their language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

Didn't want to start a new thread but looking for advise on books for kids themselves to read. I have one each in junior and senior infants and looking to purchase some books they can manage themselves.
    We have lots of books to read to them but feel especially with the senior infant that he could do with some that might interest him as he lost out on so much time in school this year and would like to encourage him to read himself a bit more.
    Looking specifically for sets aimed at early readers if anyone could recommend some. I have 1 boy and 1 girl so a mix of interest really!!

coffeyt wrote: »
    Didn't want to start a new thread but looking for advise on books for kids themselves to read. I have one each in junior and senior infants and looking to purchase some books they can manage themselves.
    We have lots of books to read to them but feel especially with the senior infant that he could do with some that might interest him as he lost out on so much time in school this year and would like to encourage him to read himself a bit more.
    Looking specifically for sets aimed at early readers if anyone could recommend some. I have 1 boy and 1 girl so a mix of interest really!!

I started a horrid Henry early reader book last night with my 6 year old boy. We read it together.

Millem wrote: »
    I started a horrid Henry early reader book last night with my 6 year old boy. We read it together.

We do a lot of reading together at night and he likes to take a book to bed but he cannot manage a lot of them by himself yet as they are a lot more advanced really so I'm hoping for a few small sets with little stories he can take into bed and practice himself! I suppose one's along the lines of the early readers they use in school.
    Was hoping people could recommend a few box sets as there as so many on Amazon and it's difficult to see whether they are of interest to that age!

He is good at sounding out new words but feel he is lacking the confidence so small sets that he could manage would build his confidence I think.

We do a lot of reading together at night and he likes to take a book to bed but he cannot manage a lot of them by himself yet as they are a lot more advanced really so I'm hoping for a few small sets with little stories he can take into bed and practice himself! I suppose one's along the lines of the early readers they use in school.
    Was hoping people could recommend a few box sets as there as so many on Amazon and it's difficult to see whether they are of interest to that age!

He is good at sounding out new words but feel he is lacking the confidence so small sets that he could manage would build his confidence I think.

Oh ok. Do you mean like the “pm” books they do in school? What about those Oxford tree books with biff? I bought some books on Amazon they are schlolastic “first little readers”.
    You can YouTube them and see each level.
    I bought them for my JI boy during homeschooling lockdown.

Millem wrote: »
    Oh ok. Do you mean like the “pm” books they do in school? What about those Oxford tree books with biff? I bought some books on Amazon they are schlolastic “first little readers”.
    You can YouTube them and see each level.
    I bought them for my JI boy during homeschooling lockdown.

That's exactly it, I have lots of basic words books and then more advanced but need to stock up on the inbetween stuff if that makes sense.
    I'll have a look at the Oxford tree stuff and go from there. In fairness he can read the more advanced stories but I'm 100% sure he is just memorizing them from when I read them so looking for new stuff he can work through himself!

That's exactly it, I have lots of basic words books and then more advanced but need to stock up on the inbetween stuff if that makes sense.
    I'll have a look at the Oxford tree stuff and go from there. In fairness he can read the more advanced stories but I'm 100% sure he is just memorizing them from when I read them so looking for new stuff he can work through himself!

Sent you a pm which may or may not be of any use!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

What about joining your local libary? The school books my children read in school are all in the libary and I've requested books they've shown an interest in. Currently have books from Sligo and Cork libary in my house.
    I buy some but they don't always like them whereas when they pick them out themselves there always read.

What about joining your local libary? The school books my children read in school are all in the libary and I've requested books they've shown an interest in. Currently have books from Sligo and Cork libary in my house.
    I buy some but they don't always like them whereas when they pick them out themselves there always read.

Thanks,we actually did join earlier in the year but our local library never fully reopened and their online system is really not the best. In fairness to the librarian she did try to pick out books for them but they weren't really age appropriate. As we couldn't go in to see ourselves what was available I ended up stopping calling in but will definitely make use of it once it reopens fully.

I ended up ordering two boxsets of early readers yesterday on Amazon that are aimed at age 4-7. I've started with the first 2 levels and will go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

I second Horrid Henry, the early reader version

There’s a nice series called Poppy and Max

We started The Worst Witch for our senior infant. It’s nice but a bit too advanced yet. Not in pronouncing the words but understanding what they all mean.

The Mr Men books are alright too and often funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,906 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

bee06 wrote: »
    It’s not a series but my 2 year old loves the Giraffe the Pelly and me by Roald Dahl. We started a few other ones but they were too advanced.

Add the enormous crocodile and you’re getting near a series :)

Advertisement